Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
on February 18, 2017
Whew, this one was a heart stopper and breath taker through out! It totally wrecked me. I'm almost afraid to review this cause I don't want to give anything away and I just know once I start naming all the this and thats I loved about this book, which is very nearly everything, there would be no need for any potential reader to purchase it, which would be a terrible shame. I will say that slap upside the head ending just BEGS for a sequel 😲
on December 7, 2002
I happened upon Brandon Massey's site quite by accident a few months ago. His short stories captivated me and I anxiously awaited the distribution of Thunderland. It was well worth the wait. The characterizations are rich and wonderful. Jason may seem a little mature for a 13-about-to-be-14 year old, but kids at that age vary greatly in their level of maturity. Jason's friends, Brains and Shorty, balance that out nicely and lend credibility to the teenage characters. The adults are well developed and intelligent; we know who they are and what they're about. In spite of their problems, Jason's parents are aware of changes in their son and take steps to find out what's wrong; a refreshing view in a genre where so often the parents are portrayed as fools who should be reported to Children's Services. I loved Sam, Jason's maternal grandfather, and wish that his character had been given more page time, but the time he did have was memorable.
This story will draw you in slowly, then hold you prisoner until the bitter end. I dare you to clean those reading glasses, find a comfy chair, set aside a few hours, daylight hours for the faint of heart, then take a deep breath and just try to out run the storm.
on January 27, 2003
Jason has never been a boy with a lot of friends. His mother, a recovering alcoholic, and his father, a workaholic, have been known in the past to treat him with neglect and indifference. However, it seems as though the winds of change have been blowing since Jason took a fall from a tree that left him in a coma. When he woke up, his mother swore to him that she was going to quit drinking and treat him more like a son and less like a punching bag. He is able to make friends, and life doesn't seem so harsh.
But, with the good comes the bad.
A vivid nightmare entraps him, portraying in stark realism someone or something coming after him. Each morning he awakes under his bed, never remembering how he got there. But, the nightmare remains a dream, until one day it comes to visit him in the real world. And he and his friends take a trip to Thunderland.
Brandon Massey has written a terrifying tale about the fine line between dreams and reality. Massey uniquely melds plot and characters, and enraptures attention as a result. Great characters like Jason's friends Brains and Shorty sit beside us as we read. Twists and turns abound, hearts skip beats, and nails are bitten as the reader is transported to a dark and surreal world known as "Thunderland".
Reviewed by CandaceK
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers
on July 31, 2012
I have to say Mr. Massey knows how to keep you turning the pages to his books from the start. I have to agree with a previous review that the book seemed for a younger adult but never the less the story line was exciting as always. Not once did I want to stop reading and I was in a rush to finish it to find out what happen. It was a sad but happy ending all in one. Another good read Mr. Massey as I have enjoyed all the books I have read from this author. Page turners is what I like - keep them coming. Although I am waiting for something new from Mr. Massey.
on January 23, 2017
I really enjoyed the suspense and the characterization of the three young boys, the protagonists. It is also fun to read up on (come across) Atlanta and Morehouse College since I live in GA. I will read more by this writer!
on July 22, 2015
Interesting and suspenseful first novel. Nice slow reveal of the 'bad guy' with an unusual (at least to me) origin. A little predictable with the final twist but definitely made it a good set-up for a continuation story. Probably would have given 5 stars if it had ended 2 pages sooner.
on September 24, 2016
This book was pretty good as I remember it but it has been a long time since I read it. I believe it was definitely worth reading & I like this author.
on February 9, 2013
I love Brandon Massey's books. Thunderland seems like it is more of a teenage thriller. I wanted the story to get more into the adult situation between the mother and father. I wanted the book to even get deeper into the relationship between the evil grandfather and his son. Mr. Magic seemed only scary to a teenage audience, i wanted this story to be more like "Within the Shadows" now thats the book right there!
on July 30, 2003
I have never read a book with so much imagination, thrill, and suspense as Thunderland. I was captivated from the first page to the last page. I will be recommending this book for years.
Thunderland deals with multiple topics, such as, the supernatural world, child neglect and abuse, and relationships with family and friends. The development of the main character, Jason Brooks, is excellent. The readers see Jason transformed from a frightened child to an assertive teenager. Jason is confronted with a life or death situation. But, he makes the right decision.
I look forward to reading more books by Brandon Massey.
on August 26, 2014
I have read all of Brandon 's books. Somehow I read his first book last. For a debut novel I thought it was original and clever. If you've not read books by this author this is a good introduction. I do see how his writing has continued to develop and grow.