Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 13, 2012
When I first received my Expansion Set I was a little disappointed. Some descriptions online aren't very clear when they say that the set includes cards from the Mystery Expansion set (long out of print and no longer available). Well I'll clear it up for the newer game players like myself. The original mystery set was a giveaway at a show and came in a magazine back in 2004. It included 4 new tickets and 5 character cards. The cards were mixed into the ticket deck after the initial tickets were given out at the beginning of the game. The character cards were something special though! There were 4 different characters which granted the person that found them a prize/power of sorts. The Tycoon, gave the owner 10 extra points at the end of the game if they had a coast to coast connection. The Inspector, let the owner double the value of any card worth 10 or less points. The Station Agent, gave 10 points to the owner if they visited the most cities at the end. And the Engineer, in which there were two cards, let the owner dig through the ticket deck and pick out a ticket of his choice. Sounds fun right!? Well the 1910 pack includes the 4 tickets but NOT the character cards. But I have a solution for this at the bottom! First, the review!

I love this expansion for a couple reasons.

1. I really enjoy the new rule set, especially 1910 Mega, which throws a whole bunch of extra tickets in the mix. You get 5 tickets at the start (keep 3+) and it also throws in a the globetrotter card which gives the person with the most tickets at the end 10 more points.
I like the other two variants as well, Classic, which swaps the longest track with the most tickets card, and then the big cites variant that tosses both those cards out and only includes tickets connecting to Big cites. Like I said I enjoy all of them, but the Mega game usually gets crazy with people taking tickets left and right.

2. I love the new card sizes! The cards in the original game were annoyingly small but in the expansion the cards are the size of normal playing cards. And not just the new cards, the expansion includes new versions of all of the cards from the original game as well! So this expansion takes the place of the cards from the original. Much easier to shuffle and hold on to. I recommend this set for that reason alone.

So back to the Mystery Characters. I told you I had a solution and here it is!

I made my own custom Mystery Character cards! And you can too! The original character cards were the size of the original, small game cards and purple, so a player knew when one was up. Well I prefer a little more mystery in my mystery cards. ;) So I created a set which is the same size as the 1910 set and has the same back as well. I printed them on card stock and rounded the edges so it is really difficult to see if you're about to get a mystery character.

I've also set this up so that you can do it too! Unfortunately, Amazon won't let me link directly to my files but there are two ways you can find them. First, I made a post on the BoardGameGeek Ticket to Ride forum on 3/12/2012 which links to them (my screenname is FujiToast). Otherwise right now a google search of "Custom Mystery Characters" will also take you directly to the forum post.

Have Fun!
33 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 9, 2015
My initial thoughts were something along the lines of, “$20 for some new/bigger cards!? I could just buy a new game for that price!” In all honesty, that’s what has kept me from buying the expansion up to this point…it just so happened that I had a little extra left over from Christmas shopping. We play the base game so much that we can sometimes guess what a player has in terms of tickets after one or two routes…this can take the mystery and fun out of playing. The new ticket cards will help to prevent that from happening again any time soon, especially if you utilize all of them via “The Mega Game” variant. There are a lot of shorter ticket routes (one is even worth two points) so now I don’t feel as hesitant to draw tickets during the game for fear that I’d never be able to complete them in time. The Globetrotter bonus is also a nice touch.

What’s nice about “Ticket to Ride” is that it is flexible enough to where you can make up your own variants. You could, for example, use all the ticket cards but only draw three in the beginning (as normal) instead of four. You can opt to use only the tickets with a value of “X” or lower/higher, giving you a game of all short or long routes, respectively. You could also opt to include all, some, or none of the bonus cards…you get the idea. This expansion simply gives you more ways to customize your game, which is a plus for any hardcore “Ticket to Ride” fan.

The larger cards are indeed nice to have and do fit in the original insert with a little organization and thought, though the expansion box will not (not without mutilating and removing the insert’s separators). They are also easier to handle and shuffle. Is it worth $20 though? It depends. If you and your family/gaming group play “Ticket to Ride” religiously, then I’d say yes. If you bring out “Ticket to Ride” once in an Alan R. Moon (ba-dum-ch!!), then I’d say no. The base game is perfectly playable by itself and can easily provide entertainment for years to come…most casual gamers can and will be happy with just that. With that said, sometimes you just want more. I personally would have liked another train set so that six players could play or something along those lines, but I suppose “USA 1910″ does the job as-is even if it is a tad on the expensive side.
on March 16, 2018
Awesome expansion, although I am still a bit irked that they intentionally didn't include this in the original game in an effort to suck more money out of people. I have a lot of respect for Days of Wonder, and they are one of my favorite game publishers, but I feel that this move is not representative of them as a company. They are well known for producing very high quality games and not being afraid to splurge on component quality. I do not own any other game by Days of Wonder that have the baby-sized cards, so I find it somewhat of a coincidence that only Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride Europe come standard with small cards. Even other titles in the Ticket to Ride line have the larger cards. One thing I noticed is that they redesigned the box insert for Ticket to Ride Europe to accommodate the larger scale cards, apparently under the assumption that the players would eventually cave and buy it. I just feel that the whole idea of only offering small format cards in the factory print as a means of squeezing more money out of gamers is somewhat below the belt and definitely not up the standards that Days of Wonder themselves have set. Sure both the expansions come with other tweaks to the game, but this is simply what we call "fluff" to make it more appealing to the buyer, yet not a major deciding factor in relation to the card sizes. I love their games and I love Ticket to Ride and Europe with the large cards, but the day I opened Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries and saw the large format cards already included, I was a bit disgruntled.
We love playing Ticket to Ride and were so excited to discover that there is an Expansion Pack! If you have never played this game you must! I'm not a big game person, but when we tried Ticket to Ride I was totally hooked. Now that we have the bigger cards and new strategies to work on the fun is even more intense. No problem getting everyone to turn off the TV and computer when we meet to play! Don't hesitate -- just buy it! Great gift for friends and family. (Note: you must have the first game to add the expansion pack, and it's definitely worth it.)
Top Contributor: Babieson December 28, 2016
This is one of those rare must-have expansions to the original game. If you enjoy Ticket to Ride this enhancement should only improve that experience through two improvements:
1. Larger, easier to handle cards
2. Playing the Mega game variant adds more competitive and variable play to each game of Ticket to Ride

If you already enjoy the Ticket to Ride USA map, don't hesitate to purchase this card set.
A must have expansion! We use this expansion EVERY time we play Ticket to Ride.

First, it gives you extra cards and a few variants for play. This allows you to mix it up a bit, play a bigger game when you have more people, or refine it a bit when you have fewer. More routes also means it is a bit tougher to figure out your opponent's exact strategy.

Second, you get a globetrotter card, so you can set up extra points for the most cities visited.

Finally, the cards are full size, and you get replacements for ALL of the original cards. So it is much, much easier to shuffle, read the maps on the cards, etc. Especially nice if you are playing with the grandparents.

There is no question, this is a must have for any fan, and adds a lot to the gameplay.
on August 1, 2015
Nice expansion, but really only for the card size. Ticket to Ride is a great game. However, the cards are so tiny, they're a pain to hold and sort. This is where the 1910 Expansion pack is helpful. It replaces all of your tiny cards with regular playing card-sized ones. It had a few new destinations and game types, but honestly, we've never played them. We just used all of the destination tickets in one giant stack instead of filtering out certain ones for different game types.

Note that Ticket to Ride Europe already has the larger cards, so if you're trying to decide which version to buy based solely on card size, Europe (and possible all other variations besides the original) already comes with bigger cards. Still a nice expansion to have in case you get bored of the stock destination tickets.
on July 14, 2014
This is just about an essential add-on to the original Ticket to Ride board game. It replaces all of the original cards with larger (standard playing card sized) versions, and provides even more route tickets to yield a number of variations on the original board game. Obviously, the board and pieces from the original "USA board" Ticket to Ride are required to make use of this expansion set.

Using this expansion, you are able to play a the standard game (with some route rewards rebalanced), a "big cities" variation (where all tickets connect with a select list of cities: Chicago, New York, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Miami, Seattle), an finally "1910 mega game" where additional tickets have been added, and a "globetrotter bonus" (most tickets completed) comes into play.

I would argue that this is a must buy for anyone who has the basic Ticket to Ride board game, since it gives large cards, and allows for a number of variations on how to play the game, making an already re-playable board game even more so.
on February 4, 2015
As an avid Ticket to Ride player, I had to buy this expansion pack. It honestly doesn't give you much - it is basically a box of cards. 20 bucks for a box of cards is a little pricey, hence me taking off one star. But otherwise, this is a great addition to the game. The full size train cards are nice - the small ones that one with the original game are quite tiny. And the additional route tickets are fantastic, especially since they include ALL cities - the standard game actually misses quite a few. In the original game, it was easy to learn all of the routes, and be able to predict which cards your opponents had based on their moves. With this expansion, that is gone! Plus it gives you a few additional ways to play. While they additional game modes are not anything extremely different (you honestly could think of these on your own), they do give some nice variety, and require different strategies.

PROS:
-Large size train cards
-Route tickets that utilize ALL cities
-More routes = more strategy
-Additional Game Options are fun

CONS:
-Expensive for what is basically a box of cards
-New Gameplay options aren't THAT special

Overall, I would recommend this! Just try to find it when it's on sale ;-)
on August 16, 2017
Ticket to Ride is my favorite game and I play it a lot.
I don't like the small cards that come with it, so we purchase the 1910 expansion to replace them.
This is the fourth time I have purchased the expansion to go with my copy of the base game.
I recommend this expansion as it enhances the original game and makes it easier to play (I can hold the cards better).

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.