Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 592 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 632 reviews
on March 13, 2012
When I first received my Expansion Set I was a little disappointed. Some descriptions online aren't very clear when they say that the set includes cards from the Mystery Expansion set (long out of print and no longer available). Well I'll clear it up for the newer game players like myself. The original mystery set was a giveaway at a show and came in a magazine back in 2004. It included 4 new tickets and 5 character cards. The cards were mixed into the ticket deck after the initial tickets were given out at the beginning of the game. The character cards were something special though! There were 4 different characters which granted the person that found them a prize/power of sorts. The Tycoon, gave the owner 10 extra points at the end of the game if they had a coast to coast connection. The Inspector, let the owner double the value of any card worth 10 or less points. The Station Agent, gave 10 points to the owner if they visited the most cities at the end. And the Engineer, in which there were two cards, let the owner dig through the ticket deck and pick out a ticket of his choice. Sounds fun right!? Well the 1910 pack includes the 4 tickets but NOT the character cards. But I have a solution for this at the bottom! First, the review!

I love this expansion for a couple reasons.

1. I really enjoy the new rule set, especially 1910 Mega, which throws a whole bunch of extra tickets in the mix. You get 5 tickets at the start (keep 3+) and it also throws in a the globetrotter card which gives the person with the most tickets at the end 10 more points.
I like the other two variants as well, Classic, which swaps the longest track with the most tickets card, and then the big cites variant that tosses both those cards out and only includes tickets connecting to Big cites. Like I said I enjoy all of them, but the Mega game usually gets crazy with people taking tickets left and right.

2. I love the new card sizes! The cards in the original game were annoyingly small but in the expansion the cards are the size of normal playing cards. And not just the new cards, the expansion includes new versions of all of the cards from the original game as well! So this expansion takes the place of the cards from the original. Much easier to shuffle and hold on to. I recommend this set for that reason alone.

So back to the Mystery Characters. I told you I had a solution and here it is!

I made my own custom Mystery Character cards! And you can too! The original character cards were the size of the original, small game cards and purple, so a player knew when one was up. Well I prefer a little more mystery in my mystery cards. ;) So I created a set which is the same size as the 1910 set and has the same back as well. I printed them on card stock and rounded the edges so it is really difficult to see if you're about to get a mystery character.

I've also set this up so that you can do it too! Unfortunately, Amazon won't let me link directly to my files but there are two ways you can find them. First, I made a post on the BoardGameGeek Ticket to Ride forum on 3/12/2012 which links to them (my screenname is FujiToast). Otherwise right now a google search of "Custom Mystery Characters" will also take you directly to the forum post.

Have Fun!
33 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
I'll be direct: The Ticket to Ride series is my favorite board game series.

We LOVE connecting our cities on the Heart of Africa map, or trying to link the 4 countries in the Switzerland map.

Ticket to Ride Europe is our favorite full box game, but we felt like the base game, Ticket to Ride (North America) is, well, dull.

Don't get me wrong, It's still Ticket to Ride! But the choice of destination was limited, and the small playing cards? AWFUL! Just AWFUL.

You get these large tickets for all of the maps, and the large train cards with Ticket to Ride Europe, but the small cards meant our Ticket to Ride base game was gathering dust.

Until we bought 1910: Suddenly, you have all these destinations which mix things up, and you know what? You get the big cards now!!!

Not just for the tickets, but also for the trains... Our small cards never left their recessed holding spots in our box and instead, we now place 2 bags of trains per slot (and the spare trains) and use the remaining 2 for the tickets and the train cards. It fits! Even with sleeves!

But now, you get 3 modes of play:

The Base game, with just the original ticket (with a few welcomed corrections in point values for some error tickets),
Big Cities, for which ALL tickets are just to 8 cities (including the frustrating Miami)
The BIG Game, which includes ALL of the tickets, and believe me, if you shuffle them well, ,you'll never get 2 games alike...

Now, I won't lie to you, Ticket to Ride (North America) is STILL our least favorite map, but now, at least, we'll play it once in a while and it got back at the best for introducing new players to the series since it's the ONLY game without ANY special rules (no ferries, no tunnels, no lost trains, no special cards, no train stations or passengers).

But without 1910, you are stuck using the tiny useless cards...

Well, they are 100% useless: with 1910 and 3 full games (North America, Europe and Marklin) and the pumkins train, you get 4 set of Train cards (3 big and 1 tiny ) and 16 train sets.

This allows you to use your map collections for FOUR simultaneous Ticket to Ride games of 16 players (We were planning 3 for Switzerland, 5 for Europe, 4 for Asia and 4 for Africa), with a Marklin or India finale for the 4 winners... but the game didn't work out (long story, coordinating 16 players is HARD).

You could even play with 17 players if you use a 6 player team Asia game...

In short, 1910 is awesome...
on March 9, 2015
My initial thoughts were something along the lines of, “$20 for some new/bigger cards!? I could just buy a new game for that price!” In all honesty, that’s what has kept me from buying the expansion up to this point…it just so happened that I had a little extra left over from Christmas shopping. We play the base game so much that we can sometimes guess what a player has in terms of tickets after one or two routes…this can take the mystery and fun out of playing. The new ticket cards will help to prevent that from happening again any time soon, especially if you utilize all of them via “The Mega Game” variant. There are a lot of shorter ticket routes (one is even worth two points) so now I don’t feel as hesitant to draw tickets during the game for fear that I’d never be able to complete them in time. The Globetrotter bonus is also a nice touch.

What’s nice about “Ticket to Ride” is that it is flexible enough to where you can make up your own variants. You could, for example, use all the ticket cards but only draw three in the beginning (as normal) instead of four. You can opt to use only the tickets with a value of “X” or lower/higher, giving you a game of all short or long routes, respectively. You could also opt to include all, some, or none of the bonus cards…you get the idea. This expansion simply gives you more ways to customize your game, which is a plus for any hardcore “Ticket to Ride” fan.

The larger cards are indeed nice to have and do fit in the original insert with a little organization and thought, though the expansion box will not (not without mutilating and removing the insert’s separators). They are also easier to handle and shuffle. Is it worth $20 though? It depends. If you and your family/gaming group play “Ticket to Ride” religiously, then I’d say yes. If you bring out “Ticket to Ride” once in an Alan R. Moon (ba-dum-ch!!), then I’d say no. The base game is perfectly playable by itself and can easily provide entertainment for years to come…most casual gamers can and will be happy with just that. With that said, sometimes you just want more. I personally would have liked another train set so that six players could play or something along those lines, but I suppose “USA 1910″ does the job as-is even if it is a tad on the expensive side.
on August 23, 2011
Ticket to Ride was one of the first games we got when we discovered there was more than Monopoly out there. As much fun as it was, it did seem to get old a bit faster than I wanted it to. Then I discovered the 1910 expansion which others said infused new life into the game. And they were right! Not only does it add lots of extra tickets, it gives you the full size cards to replace all the tiny ones that come with the base set. What we do is use all the tickets and both bonuses but there are several ways to mix it up if you prefer. There are just three of us playing usually which means you cannot use the second route of a double route so this expansion keeps everyone too busy to spitefully block you and makes it much more difficult for someone to be sure of exactly where you're going. Still, we get in each others way all the time, eliciting lots of groans and sighs! We play this game in a fast and furious fashion and it's so much fun that it's our usual after-dinner game choice.

If you are new to gaming, this is a wonderful introduction. If you love it, check out boardgamegeek (.com) for all the info on games you would never have known about otherwise. Our favorites for three or more players (all except Ticket to Ride also play great with only two!): Ticket to Ride USA w/1910 Exp, Alhambra, Ra, Macao, Stone Age, Survive Escape from Atlantis, Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers, San Juan, Bohnanza. Strictly two player: Jaipur, Odin's Ravens, Balloon Cup, Lost Cities, Jambo, Battle Line. Gaming is a great family or couples activity, takes everyone away from the tv and is great fun. Happy gaming, everyone!
on February 5, 2011
If you have, or are thinking about buying Ticket to Ride USA, this is a must! The full-size cards (tickets and train cards) are so much easier to shuffle than the half-size cards that came with the TTR USA game. The graphics are high quality, and the tickets are marked with "1910" or "Big Cities" to help you play four different options (original TTR USA cards only, 1910 cards only, Big Cities only, or "Mega" game in which you use all the destination cards which is good for 4 or 5 players). I store two baggies of trains in each compartment and use the extra compartments to store my 1910 deck in the TTR USA game box.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
I play this every chance I get. We play during the week in the evenings or on the weekends. A few times a month.

It never gets old. I think it's challenging fun and different every time.

I like a lot of board games but this is my favorite. If you have time, go to youtube and see Wil Wheaton play the game on Tabletop. That's fun to see.

The expansion set makes the game even more fun. The alternate rules enable you to trade out more destination cards. Also having more destination cards adds to the fun.

If you don't already play "the train game," you must buy one.

It is a beautifully made game ... both for originality and aesthetically pleasing.
on April 15, 2017
So I'm a big fan of this game. This expansion doesn't add a whole lot in terms of gameplay (I mean it's decent) but I love the reprint of the game cards in large format.
on October 26, 2016
Recently purchased the Ticket to Ride game for my 10 year old son and he LOVES it! We purchased the add on and its so-so. Cards are bigger, but fit in box with game. Not sure its worth $20.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2017
We have been playing this game for a while now & love it so this expansion is a great addition to the basic . Love it!!
on July 19, 2013
This is a great expansion for a great game. I love that it adds full sized cards- the small ones are so hard to shuffle- and there are so many more destinations! I also love the bonus card for the most destinations because that it always my goal! Fun!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.