Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on March 13, 2012
When I first received my Expansion Set I was a little disappointed. Some descriptions online aren't very clear when they say that the set includes cards from the Mystery Expansion set (long out of print and no longer available). Well I'll clear it up for the newer game players like myself. The original mystery set was a giveaway at a show and came in a magazine back in 2004. It included 4 new tickets and 5 character cards. The cards were mixed into the ticket deck after the initial tickets were given out at the beginning of the game. The character cards were something special though! There were 4 different characters which granted the person that found them a prize/power of sorts. The Tycoon, gave the owner 10 extra points at the end of the game if they had a coast to coast connection. The Inspector, let the owner double the value of any card worth 10 or less points. The Station Agent, gave 10 points to the owner if they visited the most cities at the end. And the Engineer, in which there were two cards, let the owner dig through the ticket deck and pick out a ticket of his choice. Sounds fun right!? Well the 1910 pack includes the 4 tickets but NOT the character cards. But I have a solution for this at the bottom! First, the review!

I love this expansion for a couple reasons.

1. I really enjoy the new rule set, especially 1910 Mega, which throws a whole bunch of extra tickets in the mix. You get 5 tickets at the start (keep 3+) and it also throws in a the globetrotter card which gives the person with the most tickets at the end 10 more points.
I like the other two variants as well, Classic, which swaps the longest track with the most tickets card, and then the big cites variant that tosses both those cards out and only includes tickets connecting to Big cites. Like I said I enjoy all of them, but the Mega game usually gets crazy with people taking tickets left and right.

2. I love the new card sizes! The cards in the original game were annoyingly small but in the expansion the cards are the size of normal playing cards. And not just the new cards, the expansion includes new versions of all of the cards from the original game as well! So this expansion takes the place of the cards from the original. Much easier to shuffle and hold on to. I recommend this set for that reason alone.

So back to the Mystery Characters. I told you I had a solution and here it is!

I made my own custom Mystery Character cards! And you can too! The original character cards were the size of the original, small game cards and purple, so a player knew when one was up. Well I prefer a little more mystery in my mystery cards. ;) So I created a set which is the same size as the 1910 set and has the same back as well. I printed them on card stock and rounded the edges so it is really difficult to see if you're about to get a mystery character.

I've also set this up so that you can do it too! Unfortunately, Amazon won't let me link directly to my files but there are two ways you can find them. First, I made a post on the BoardGameGeek Ticket to Ride forum on 3/12/2012 which links to them (my screenname is FujiToast). Otherwise right now a google search of "Custom Mystery Characters" will also take you directly to the forum post.

Have Fun!
33 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
We love playing Ticket to Ride and were so excited to discover that there is an Expansion Pack! If you have never played this game you must! I'm not a big game person, but when we tried Ticket to Ride I was totally hooked. Now that we have the bigger cards and new strategies to work on the fun is even more intense. No problem getting everyone to turn off the TV and computer when we meet to play! Don't hesitate -- just buy it! Great gift for friends and family. (Note: you must have the first game to add the expansion pack, and it's definitely worth it.)
This is one of those rare must-have expansions to the original game. If you enjoy Ticket to Ride this enhancement should only improve that experience through two improvements:
1. Larger, easier to handle cards
2. Playing the Mega game variant adds more competitive and variable play to each game of Ticket to Ride

If you already enjoy the Ticket to Ride USA map, don't hesitate to purchase this card set.
on May 4, 2015
A must have expansion! We use this expansion EVERY time we play Ticket to Ride.

First, it gives you extra cards and a few variants for play. This allows you to mix it up a bit, play a bigger game when you have more people, or refine it a bit when you have fewer. More routes also means it is a bit tougher to figure out your opponent's exact strategy.

Second, you get a globetrotter card, so you can set up extra points for the most cities visited.

Finally, the cards are full size, and you get replacements for ALL of the original cards. So it is much, much easier to shuffle, read the maps on the cards, etc. Especially nice if you are playing with the grandparents.

There is no question, this is a must have for any fan, and adds a lot to the gameplay.
on July 14, 2014
This is just about an essential add-on to the original Ticket to Ride board game. It replaces all of the original cards with larger (standard playing card sized) versions, and provides even more route tickets to yield a number of variations on the original board game. Obviously, the board and pieces from the original "USA board" Ticket to Ride are required to make use of this expansion set.

Using this expansion, you are able to play a the standard game (with some route rewards rebalanced), a "big cities" variation (where all tickets connect with a select list of cities: Chicago, New York, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Miami, Seattle), an finally "1910 mega game" where additional tickets have been added, and a "globetrotter bonus" (most tickets completed) comes into play.

I would argue that this is a must buy for anyone who has the basic Ticket to Ride board game, since it gives large cards, and allows for a number of variations on how to play the game, making an already re-playable board game even more so.
on January 1, 2016
The small cards that come with the complete game can be slightly hard to shuffle and use, so this is definitely a must have for anyone who plays regularly. The cards are of high quality and seem like they will last for quite some time. The additional destination cards and twists to games rules are also enjoyable and make it seem like you are playing a whole new game without learning and entirely new game. Would also recommend getting the India map collection if looking to play with two-three players as these maps are made specially for this many players and add some fun twists to the game.
on August 16, 2017
Ticket to Ride is my favorite game and I play it a lot.
I don't like the small cards that come with it, so we purchase the 1910 expansion to replace them.
This is the fourth time I have purchased the expansion to go with my copy of the base game.
I recommend this expansion as it enhances the original game and makes it easier to play (I can hold the cards better).
Large-format cards are much easier to work with, and the new tickets freshen up the experience. If you've played the base set enough times to remember which tickets are possible, and you can reasonably predict which tickets your opponents have based on their initial placements, you're probably ready for this expansion.

I wouldn't say it's necessary to buy this as soon as you buy the game, but it's a good way to extend its longevity and make it less predictable for seasoned players.
on December 10, 2013
These are the cards that I wish came with the original game purchase. They are the size of regulation playing cards and make them much easier to shuffle and hold.

In addition to the new card size though, this expansion added some complexity to a game that my wife and I have been playing for a few years. New routes meant we had to look for new strategies to make them and in some cases the cards contain a challenge of having to route through a large city, making it even more difficult.

I have found that Ticket to Ride expansions are great and are well worth the money for the most part, but this one in particular is almost a must have even if you are just purchasing the game.

Ticket to Ride was our first time getting out of standard board games and has driven us to try other table top games that provide many hours of game play and are far more interesting than the standard monopoly type games (and typically cause far fewer tantrums).
on November 18, 2014
I'm a big fan of Ticket to Ride, so buying an expansion was an easy decision. There are a lot of things to like about this expansion.

First, the new destination cards. The new destination cards fill in the gaps from the original game. There were some cities on the North American board that did not have many destinations to them. The new destination cards fill in those gaps, giving you an opportunity to amass more points and build to different cities.

Second, you get all the old destination cards and train cards in regular playing card size. The small cards of the original game could become difficult to hold or even see. That is remedied by this expansion as you get all those original cards with the expansion, but in a regular playing card size.

The last addition is the bonus cards for most destinations completed. The original game came with a bonus card for longest train. The expansion includes that bonus, but also another that gives you 15 extra points for the person who has the most destination tickets completed at the end of the game. If you get stuck building on the East Coast, this bonus card can help offset the small point totals you get for those destinations.

Overall, this expansion is worth it for anyone who enjoys the North American version of Ticket to Ride. It adds a couple different ways to play the game, new destinations and as a result new strategies.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.