Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on April 20, 2012
If you enjoy tight, cutthroat maps, where claiming routes early can be a major advantage, this expansion is a must!

The India map is wonderfully creative, with so many different strategies capable of winning. You can go ticket-fishing, you can rack up tons of points with a Mandala bonus, or you can concentrate on claiming the limited long routes and ending the game quickly. No single strategy is a sure bet! In my opinion, this map has the best blend of offense and defense, and also the most striking artwork and colors in the TTR series.

I've been playing Switzerland for a few years now. Prior to India, it was my favorite. The tight map and fewer trains usually make it a fast-paced ticket-drawing contest. If I have a criticism, it's that there are fewer winning formulas. Taking a central path west to east and getting into all four countries is almost always your best bet, no matter what tickets you draw initially. For Switzerland to be really fun, you need to play defensively.

In short, if you like Ticket to Ride but wish it had more player interaction and tension, India and Switzerland will be welcome additions to your game nights.
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
 Note: A copy of a base TTR game is needed to play this expansion (it comes with destination tickets and maps, but not the train cards or trains).

My fiancé and I like to play games that rely at least a little on luck and aren't too complex (for her), but that also involve some strategy and complexity (for me). We usually play two-player, and we play TTR USA with the 1912 expansion at least a few times a month. So, we decided to give a couple of the expansions a try, and Switzerland and India seemed like it had some nice additions to the game, plus a good amount of bang for the buck. We were not disappointed.

This is a wonderful addition to Ticket to Ride. You get TWO maps / sets of destination tickets, and each map introduces a new way to play vs. the base Ticket to Ride USA game (i.e., Switzerland adds tunnels and India adds ferries). We found this to be a great way to introduce these new mechanics to the game (as opposed to adding both at once as TTR Europe and TTR Nordic Countries do).

Another thing we loved is that TTR Switzerland added two new types of destination ticket:

(1) For City-to-country tickets you have to connect the city in question to one of the four countries on the map. Each country is worth a different number of points, and you get the points for the highest scoring country connection completed (and if you don't connect to any country you lose the lowest points on the ticket).

(2) For Country-to-country tickets you have to connect form the primary country to any of the other three countries. Again, each country is worth a different number of points, and you get the points for the highest scoring country you connect (and if don't connect to any country you lose the lowest points on the ticket).

Finally, for TTR India they added a fun end game bonus for connecting two cities on a destination card using two different routes (the routs can intersect but not overlap or share any trains). These are not always easy to get, and the scoring is reasonable and not game breaking when you do get them.

We have played TTR USA with the 1912 expansion, TTR Europe, TTR Nordic Countries, TTR Nederlands, and this one... I would pick up whatever TTR base set you like best (because the base set is still needed to play), and if you could only pick up one more expansion I would definitely recommend this one.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 8, 2016
This is the first expansion that we got for the base game (USA version) and I really love it. My wife and I are big ticket to ride fans and adding this map collection gives us a little more variety to keep us on our toes.

India is a pretty tight map, especially when you consider the Mandela bonus you get for completed routes. Basically if you complete one of your routes with two distinct paths of trains then that route gets a mandela bonus. Get this on 5 of your routes and you'll score big! I usually try and incorporate a few of my routes into some sort of circle from the game start, then pick up more routes as I go and hope to get something that doesn't require much modification to that circle.

Switzerland is very cool too, our first map to try with tunnels. Frustrating a times but funny to make fun of an opponent when they fail a tunnel 3 times in a row. On this map there are country routes, and if you can get a lot of these in your hand you are going to score well, it's not hard to score points this way. We usually run out of route cards near the end as discarded ones are eliminated from the game.

I think I prefer India, a bit more strategy to score big. My wife prefer's Switzerland because maybe I get a little too good at getting the mandela bonuses :)
on January 9, 2017
My whole family loves TTR. This expansion actually comes with 2 maps, India and Switzerland. I think they don't advertise Switzerland as much because you can only play with up to 3 people, but my family really loves the Swiss version. It is full of tunnel routes like Europe, but the twist is that you can pick up wild cards off the board like any other card, and wilds can ONLY be used with tunnel routes. Non-tunnel routes MUST be laid with color cards only. That part can be pretty frustrating, but on the other hand, the tunnels become less intimidating.

The India map is pretty fun, but the new bonus rule of making 2 distinct routes (basically making a loop that connects the destination cities) is pretty hard to do. And it's especially hard when everyone is trying to do it at the same time with a bunch of route cards (we tend to ignore the rules and deal tons of cards to make it interesting).
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 15, 2016
NOTE: You need to have the original ticket to ride to play this because it doesn't include the train cards or plastic trains.

I love Ticket to Ride and wanted to buy an expansion. This set is great. I thought it was just India, but if you flip it, Switzerland is on the back. It includes the board as well as two card sets. (One for India, one for Switzerland.) You play with just this board and location cards, but you need to use the trains and train cards from your full set with it. I love the colors, pictures, routes, etc. on this set. So much fun!
on May 12, 2015
We have the original US: TTR & the 1910 expansion. We've also played Europe & Asia maps as well as the Marklin version (but we don't own them... yet). This two-sided board gives us a second set of maps to play with.

Switzerland: Our favorite map. Hands down. The treatment of the engines (wilds) and tunnels provides a good twist to the original gameplay and forces rethinking of how you play. Also, the map lends itself to picking up extra routes (which my wife loves) as well as choosing which surrounding country to go to (which I love: some routes show a city in Switzerland connected to one of the surrounding countries with an associated number of points. You can choose which version of the route you want to try to complete)

India: Also lots of fun; but very stressful to play. (and is only up to 4 players). The center of the map is SO tight that competition for those individual routes is fierce. The bonus for this map is for completing routes in "loops" - make two completely independent connections between your cities to score 5-10-20-30 points, depending on how many loops you make. I love this aspect of the game, as it gives another real challenge on beyond simply connecting two cities.

If you have & love TTR, I highly recommend this pair of maps - especially if you typically play with only a few people. After playing Switzerland, I really don't like going back to the very limiting US map. And I love India's loops, although the stress that that map induces is something I can only take so much of at once.
on March 14, 2017
Fun addition to the Ticket world.

This is an expansion version, so you will need a base version of the game (US or Europe, or maybe Nordic) in order to play this one, as you'll need the train pieces, points markers, and colored train cards that this game DOES NOT contain.

This is also a 2-in-1 game, as one side of the game board is the titular India board, while the other side is the map of Switzerland. Both game versions come with instruction sheets and their own set of route cards.
on December 14, 2014
I own the original game plus Europe, Africa and Asia and I play the games on my mac and sometimes my android phone. I love this game and all its variants. When I pull out one to play with my family though this one is my favorite. Maybe I'm bored with original and Europe which I can play on my computer (and do, a lot) but maybe its because my favorite strategy is collecting tickets. This a a great game for completing a fistful of tickets. The circular routes are a great added strategy twist. The fact that your opponent can easily thwart your planned route (there are others) makes this very exciting - you can run out of trains by having to go around. I find that my strategy and the game play are never the same and that keeps me coming back. I dearly wish they would make this available in either the mac or android app store.
on November 27, 2012
I've really enjoyed the base game "Ticket to Ride: Europe", but it's not an ideal game for two players. When I heard that Days of Wonder was re-releasing the "Switzerland" expansion, geared towards 2-3 players, I was ecstatic! Additionally, it was packaged with "TtR: India" a new expansion for 2-4 players. How could I refuse such an offer. This expansion has lived up to my expectations and beyond.

The Switzerland expansion is an unbelievably tight board, but doesn't really look it. Locomotives can only be used for tunnel routes (of which there are many), so you can now draft two Locomotives from the face-up piles on a single turn if you desire. Two new kinds of tickets are included: City to Country tickets require you to connect a city to one of four countries listed on a card - each worth a certain number of points. Country-to-country tickets require you to connect a certain country to one of three others. In each case, you gain the points if you've made the connection. If you connect to multiple destinations, you receive the points for the country connection with the highest points. If you fail to make any connections, you lose the lowest number of points on the card. It's incredibly fun, and goes by quickly.

The India map is a bit more traditional, and features several ferries, but no tunnels. The major change here is a new, additional way of scoring called `Mandala', which can give you up to 40 points. To qualify, you must connect the two cities on a ticket by two completely separate routes (basically, a circular route). This is best accomplished when you're able to choose tickets that fall in a circular pattern (for example, an north-to-south ticket, a southeast to northwest, and a northern west-to-east ticket). This new rule not only creates an additional layer of strategy, it adds drama to the board, making it an excellent game for 2P.

Almost every time we take this expansion out, my wife and I will play a game, then flip the board over and play the other side! To say that we like one board is better than the other would be splitting hairs, as they are both excellent in their own way. We can now have a fun and competitive game of Ticket to Ride with as few as 2 players. I highly recommend this expansion to anyone who loves the game and regularly has less than 5 players.
on April 5, 2018
Thanks to the friend of mine who introduced this game to me! I have Europe board which is the most entertaining game with friends.I have a large group of friends to play with almost every other week. Since we played the Europe n number of times though to get a new one. Did a lot of review reading before picking this one! This is as much fun as the base game.My friends and I love Switzerland already.India kinda allows a small group to have an intense game with fun.I would recommend to anyone.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.