Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by NERD Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Tiffen 52mm Haze-1 Filter
Size: 52mm|Change

on August 29, 2014
Its clear, Its round, It fit…

Don't get bamboozled by the perfection police that are put on this earth to make you feel that you must buy the most expensive to create the most amazing. Heck… look at Georges Méliès or Charles Chaplin…. and what about finger paint? Very uncivilized yet beautiful and FUN.
Tiffen is a great brand… and It will protect your lens - somewhat!

Read what Robert M. Atkins says on Photo.net after much testing on Hoya, Tiffen and the like:

"…UV… why would be want to block it? Well the answer lies in the way that color film works. There are basically three color sensitive layers, one sensitive to red light, one to green light and one to blue light. The blue layer not only responds to blue light, but also to UV light, so if there is a lot of UV around the blue sensitive layer gets extra exposure and the final image takes on a blue color. Since film isn't normally sensitive to infrared, you don't need an infrared blocking filter. Interestingly though, digital sensors are infrared sensitive and most digital cameras have an infrared blocking filter built in.
Now there isn't usually a huge amount of UV around at sea level. There is some (that's what gives you a suntan or a sunburn) but most of it is scattered by the atmosphere. However as you gain altitude, for example by going up a mountain, the amount of UV increases. Under these conditions a UV filter can prevent a blue cast in photographs.

Since UV filters look clear and neutral to the naked eye, some people also use them as a protective filter which they leave on their lens at all times. Some people think this is a good idea, other question the wisdom placing a $20 filter in front of a $1000 lens and potentially affecting image quality. Both schools of thought have some valid points. It's your choice.

...What I actually use when I need a UV filter or a protective filter is a Tiffen 812. Usually, for the type of work I do, a warmer image isn't a problem, indeed it's often desirable. I also like to minimize the number of filters I carry so my 812 serves three functions. It blocks UV, it protects the lens and it's a warming filter. Some people use an 81B for this, but I slightly prefer the color shift of the 812. Not everyone wants a warming filter, so the clear winner for a neutral filter that really bocks UV is the Tiffen Haze-1, though the Hoya UV should also be pretty effective. "
On May 2nd, 2011 I ordered Tiffen 58mm Haze-1 Filter. I ordered this for one of my Canon 50D camera lenses (can't remember which one). At the time we were planning a trip overseas so I was stocking up on my photo gear and after some research decided this was the right combination of price, performance, and protection for my lens. I’m a fan of all things photography, in fact at times it’s been an obsession of mine. Tiffen has had a long reputation of quality filters and this one lived up to the expectations I had. It's high quality and well built. Your images are only as good as what you shoot through, protect your lens and always use high quality filters. I use Haze / Haze-1 / UVHaze / UV filters as a permanent lens protector. Nearly 6 years later I'm still using this filter. Definitely worth the price.

Seller: Amazon LLC
Condition: New
Purchase price: $13.39 (Shipped)
on January 7, 2015
Not sure if the filter is defective or the glass quality is poor. I have used Tiffen in the past to protect my lenses and they were ok. This one truly disappoints. It damaged the photos by leaving a reflective glare in the center. It also distorted some photos (minor fish-eye effect). I would not recommend it. Now it's a $5 paperweight. Caveat emptor.
on July 17, 2010
This is the second same filter of this brand that I've purchased. These UV type filters are pretty basic and meant mainly to protect the actual lens. These don't do much other than that. But, that's why I purchased them for my daughter's Olympus E-PL1 and a Nikon SLR that I own. As someone else mentioned, there's a bit of flare. Strangely, I don't notice it on the SLR. At any rate, it's not enough to not recommend it.

On the other hand, this Ensenda shipping company stinks. They marked the package delivered, yet it wasn't. I suppose it's good for their statistics. Not so good for customer service. Hopefully you'll be lucky and get FedEx or UPS.
on May 27, 2017
2 years later, and my lens is still protected. Thanks Tiffen.

Debatable how much this actually does for haze though. Buy it to protect your front element from a bump that will cost $500 to fix.
on May 5, 2016
At first I couldn't figure out how to put it on. I thought it didn't fit my 50 mm camera but then I realized I was putting it on the wrong side. I have seen someone else also do the same mistake (newbies). So if you think it doesn't fit, try putting it on from the other side.

I have yet to compare photo's without this filter so I suppose I can't speak on that but it does a great job at protecting my camera lens. It also came in nice packaging (that I also stuggled a bit to open! It's through the bottom) It also has a ten year warranty.
review image review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A huge step up from the plain Vivitar UV filter I was using. Tho the Vivitar did the job well, the Haze feature on this filter really works when taking shots across a valley.

The seller shipped FAST, and had a fair price. I think that Tiffin will be on my list for my next filter purchase for sure.
on February 1, 2014
Bought this for a trip to Disney, as we were riding up to the first park, I Said to myself
"Self, it's time to put this on to protect your lens." I had already taken a pic of the parking lot sign, we were parked in Jafar. It was a bright sunny day, and I said "Self, with the haze on that pic, this will make it better." Boy was Self wrong.

Put it on, took the same exact pic within a minute of the other one, and it was noticeably less clear than the first one, with more haze on it.. So Self took it off, put it in a bag, and returned it.
on April 22, 2014
I purchased this filter primarily to protect the front element of my 18-105mm Nikkor lens. My secondary reason was to use it as a UV haze filter when taking panorama and landscape photographs. As far as a good lens protection filter I'd give it a full 5 star rating, but now that I've used it, I wish I would have purchased Tiffen's higher quality (and more expensive) UV haze filter. I find that this filter helps reduce the UV haze in my photos where it's a factor, but it doesn't totally eliminate it, and it's performance in this regard could be better. For it's UV haze filtering capability, I'd rate this filter a 3 star, hence my overall 4 star rating.

If you're looking for a decent lens protection filter for the price, this filter is a good pick, you'll get some improvement in your hazy shots as a bonus. If filtering UV haze is a priority, get the better model.
on August 19, 2009
I'm a photographer and I'd like to think I know a thing or two about filters. But all you need to know is that whatever digital equipment you've invested on deserves its lens protected unless hundreds to thousands of dollars is chump change to you, you will find this item handy.

I own a Canon VIXIA HF200 which I bought this filter for. Keep in mind that different lenses have different diameters so check your lens or your manual just to make sure. Of all the different types of filters out there, all you really need for your digital equipment to protect the lens is a piece of glass. So unless you need the enhancements/effects other filters offer (such as neutral density or colored filters), this UV/haze should do. Not to mention UV/haze is the cheapest option you have in terms of protection.

I know that UV is no longer effective since many no longer use film. So don't expect this to enhance your digital video/picture in any way. Tiffen is a known US brand in the photography community and it's pretty reliable. Of all the top brands, it's not on the high end side but it is on the cheaper side, though.

This filter should never be removed. In fact, I recommend you buy this filter and install it the minute you unbox your gadget. Not only does it keep your glass pristine, your gizmo will last longer and hold its value better if you decide to resell and upgrade. If you plan on using other additional filters, I would suggest you buy a different UV/haze filter with a slimmer profile --not this one. Stacking other filters on top of this one might cause vignetting. I don't know this for sure because I haven't tried, but from my experience in photography, this Tiffen is pretty thick and would add a lot when stacked. Other than that, I highly recommend this product.

I feel a lot safer when handling my equipment especially when children are around me. You never know when someone accidentally touches the lens with their oily fingers. And the scary part is, if you record a precious moment, you won't even know it has been tainted by a smudge until it's too late. By the time you review it, there's nothing you can do about it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question