BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Tiffen 52mm UV Protection Filter
Size: 52mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Enthusiast: Campingon October 14, 2017
Love it! Love your 'glass'? Get one. Abuse the filter, not the lens. Filters are cheap. Lenses aren't. (But you already know that). Some purists won't even put a filter on the end of their lens, instead touting how brave they are (or how fat their wallet might be) and how their lenses: "Face the world, naked.." or some such drivel. I like the idea of a filter on any lens, save the ones behind an automatically-covered lens of the pocket-camera variety. Then, I just carry a lens brush (like $1 at the dollar store, cleverly disguised as a 'makeup' brush!) and periodically dust off the glass. But really, buy a few of these and keep 'em around. They're really handy, and if you're a schlemeel, like me, you'll REALLY love it when you spill something untoward on the filter...instead of the lens...it's a beautiful thing...
on October 9, 2017
After a week of tripod and handheld testing under various outdoor light conditions, I've reached the conclusion that this filter is causing a serious reduction in the sharpness and quality of the images recorded with my Canon camera and lens. When I initiated action to return it, Amazon just refunded my money and didn't require an actual return.
on September 26, 2017
A decent, low cost lens filter. As mentioned in another review, lens filters can be costly and I'm sure there must be some benefits to those. But, for my photography I just don't realize the differences I guess.

This filter protects my lens, offers decent clarity without any noticeable distortion, and it appears to be well made. The glass is thin, coated, and the mounting ring holds it securely, with no looseness. It threads easily into my lens and is snug.
on December 6, 2015
My tripod is a POS, w/5 thousand levers. My first time setting my camera on the tripod, it fell on my hardwood floor - no damage. Weeks later, 2nd fall from tripod, the lense hit the floor first. My new upgraded Nikkor lense didn't shatter, because I had this Tiffen protection. I week never buy a cheap UV cover again (or tripod). I ordered a few more for my other lenses. I never thought I'd be that idiot that drops their camera, but I was one of them TWICE! WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY- IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN!
on June 7, 2013
I purchased this filter as it was practically the cheapest cost, while still having a decent reputation. I have a Tiffen 52mm Circular Polarizing filter, and I love it, so I figured this would be good buy. I don't know if I received an item that someone previously returned, but the item was not sealed. It also shook around in the container; nothing was holding it in place. The previous filter that I had purchased from Amazon (the Tiffen 52mm) was held in place by a foam insert and a mini product catalogue. While the foam insert was on one side of this 72mm filter, there was nothing on the other side holding it in place, and it was able to shift around quite easily in the box.

The filter was dirty, and had some smudges (they did not look like fingerprints). So, I took out my lens cloth and attempted to clean both sides of the filter. I managed to get out the smudges, but there was a lot of fibers left on the glass. I tried to use a air rocket to remove them, but they did not budge. I then took out another lens cleaning cloth (different type) and attempted to wipe the filter again. It removed some of the fibers, but left a lot more. I once again tried the air rocket to no avail. I tried again with both of the lens cleaning cloths that I own and I could not get the fibers off. They seem have melded with the glass somehow, mimicking scratches in the glass. I cannot use the filter in that condition.
on June 4, 2016
I had bought this a few times before for my other lenses. So one time when I was shooting photos for a baptism, the windows were behind the subject and I got these weird glares that only came up on my photos. These greenish glares had been happening for a while and so I tried taking the protector off and bam, the green hues disappeared. I bought them hoping to be a first protection from dust or cracking of the lens, but if it makes such a big difference in the photo, I'm not sure if I will use it any longer.
on September 22, 2015
The glass, ..if that is what this is made with, scratches quickly, and seems impossible to prevent. from getting covered with fine scratches...I'm always very careful when cleaning lenses, and my lenses look fine, after many more uses, or cleanings, than this UV Filter had... Tiffen has been in this business a long time, but why do they allow their name to be associated with something such as this disposable, unacceptable, 'toy version'. It's possible that I ordered from the wrong supplier, and just got a 'counterfiet'...I would have to look at my order records to try and guess. If I care about getting clear photo images, it's not worth worrying about UV, when the filter surface has been clouded up with scratches. After just two, or three uses, when I looked at the 'glass' area closely, I just accepted the fact that I bought a 'one time use', like a disposable camera, product..
on January 2, 2015
It's hard to rate these higher than a 3...you put them on your lens to keep the lens clean and largely forget about them. Besides, digital cameras don't really need UV protection. I do shoot film, though, and swap lenses between film and digital Canon cameras, so I guess in that case, it makes sense to think about UV protection.

Experience says that you DO want ones that are well built, with threads that don't make a mess for the 3 times a year you take them off because you dropped your lens, to clean the lens inside or to stack another filter. You break them, you scratch them, you get another one and your lens stays nice.
on December 21, 2013
My experience with these Tiffen filters has been great.

They feel solid, they are affordable and do their job. I have purchased UV, CPl and linear polarizers (to make a variable neutral density filter). However, here I'm writing about the UV.

I have not had one with defects (purchased approximately 10 of different diameters). The glass is clean and reliable. I broke one due to an impact and I was glad I had it. It was like realizing you have collision on your car insurance after a crash.

The threads are reliable and pretty smooth. It is unlikely for a smaller (relatively speaking) diameter filter to 'get stuck' on the lens and these are no exception. I will purchase again unless quality or price change negatively.
on July 15, 2017
Appears to be previously used or at least opened. Plastic case not sealed. Glass loose in filter mount with minute scratches and noticeable finger print on glass. Return not available per Amazon. I guess it did not cost enough. I have purchased other brands of filters that were great but at a higher price. First and last time for a Tiffen filter. I will spend more and get a better grade filter.