Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Size: 52mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,889 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,383 reviews
on April 27, 2013
I used to use this filter and found this is quite bad, bad flare and ghost, better not use it to shoot clear picture.
I put this on Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM. I know this lens won't be sharp picture when wide open aperture but when
put this tiffin filter, focus won't be clear anymore. It's just killing your lens, camera and precious time and memory.

I recently purchased HOYA filter which is a few $ more expensive than this tiffin filter in Amazon however, that is
much worth to pay. Look at the picture, I believe no word needed to tell the difference.
Tiffin, it's just a plain glass or rather low quality plain glass. If you are beginner but becoming serious about photo shooting
and already spending much for lens and camera, why not spend a few $ more.
55 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2016
Tiffin makes excellent products and I have used them for years. A UV filter is a must for anyone using professional or even prosumer lenses that they value and want to protect. Much better to replace a scratched filter than to replace an entire lens! Tiffin has saved my bacon more times than I could ever count over the many years I have been shooting professionally. While there are higher-priced filters on the market, I have not personally seen an appreciable difference in the end result -- my thousands of images (both film and digital) shot with Tiffin filters.

This UV filter cuts haze just as well as the pricy B+W (I own a few and love the slim profile ones).

I suppose that there are other photo snobs like me who would disagree with my assessment, however I used to run a digital imaging lab at a museum and have really discerning standards -- so take that for whatever it's worth. I am also an exhibited photographer in two major international museums, and used these filters in the making of those images.

This item was exactly as described and arrived quickly, and was packaged well for shipping.
on March 30, 2017
The filter seems of high quality and the price is reasonable. I tested the UV absorption using a UV LED and noticed pretty minimal UV absorption (although the test was qualitative and I can't quote numbers); a polaroid brand filter for another lens seemed to perform a bit better. My biggest objection was that the filter was delivered with fingerprints on it. No, not smudges... FINGERPRINTS. Anyone who deals in camera products ought to know to keep their fingers off! Finally, for those reviews that mention lens flare - it's not really a UV filter's job to stop lens flare.
on March 1, 2017
We frequently use our cameras outdoors and in rain and dusty conditions. We also do a lot of pet photography (they always seem to want to put their wet nose on the camera lens). This will protect the front of your lens from these situations as well as from scratches or cracks due to bumping the front of the lens. Same thing with babies or kids touching the front of the lens. It is a lot easier and safer to clean or replace the protection filter than an expensive lens. Typical excellent Tiffen quality.
on January 12, 2017
Tiffen has never failed to please me and they have done it yet again with a very affordable UV filter that I use on my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. Helps reduce UV influence on colors both outside as well as indoors, giving your truer colors to work with post-op.

I recommend this filter for anyone needing a 49mm UV filter, and don't forget that more often than not in a lens drop situation the filter tends to take the brunt of the damage rather than your lens! Much more affordable replacement options.
on September 21, 2016
Great UV Filter for the price. USA made by a trusted company! Simple piece of mind to protect your lens from scratches or in the even of a drop. Not to mention the UV filtering benefit.
Used this one on my Wifes (old but still awesome) Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 "Push Pull" lens.

We have had none of the glare or ghosting problems that other people have reported with this filter. Even when we tried to take photos of lightbulbs like some other the reviewers photos...

If you found anything helpful in this review, I would appreciate you taking the time to click so below! Thanks!
on May 7, 2017
This may help with UV effect reduction but at the cost of loosing 8% of the light your camera will receive.
Had I realized they were not coated, I would not have bough these.
A good broadband Anti Reflection coating will pass 99.4% minus any absorption within the glass itself.
Spend the extra $7-10 and get an AR coated UV Filter.
on August 16, 2011
Received the filter as a promo for buying a matching lens. I'd read the reviews - but thought it would provide reasonable protection for a price {free} that couldn't be beat. I should have taken the option to apply the purchase price to a better {coated} filter - but - not having seen the consequences before - how could you really know ??
The filter IS reasonably well constructed, and I did not see any visible flaws in the glass itself. But as noted by others - when shooting just off axis against a bright point source, internal reflections will pop up, causing noticeable artifacts.
I shot a photo of an incandescent light (one purchased before the BULB ban takes effect) in my ceiling fan - at just a slight angle off axis. The reflection of the filament is clearly visible against the dark base of the fan motor. Please note that while the image was NOT selectively retouched - it was down-processed, and center cropped from a much larger RAW image. Image was shot with a Canon 7D using Canon's 55-250 IS at 55mm, f/7.1, 1/250 sec, ISO 1000, distance 3.06 meters. The image IS posted as a user photo on the main product page. You'll know it when you see it (ceiling fan gives it away).
Conclusion: this filter will protect your lens front element, AND {the main reason I got one} should decrease the amount of dust sucked into the Canon 55-250 zoom lens. BUT - it won't be staying on my camera. While I am NOT a pro photographer - I just don't want to take the chance of having what might have been an otherwise 'perfect' shot marred by an inadvertent reflection. Nuff Said.
review image
on May 4, 2016
This Lens filter comes with a strong glass and provides a good protection to the front element against dust, finger prints and minor usage marks. A simple and cheap way to protect your lens.

But on the other side, it impacts the image quality. As soon as the light goes down the filter starts ruining photos. I was getting great results during normal lighting condition but at night when the lights are low I was seeing lot of ghosting and flaring in the images. Initially I thought there is something wrong with my camera ISO or my lens which is causing bad low light images. I tried few things and realized that the filter is impacting the image quality so I removed the filter and my pictures were much better in low light conditions.

Now I only use it when I feel that there is chance that my lens may get damaged otherwise I do not use it. If there are normal lighting conditions, I may leave it on the lens but its a NO for low light pics.
VINE VOICEon July 16, 2017
No way will I spend an exorbitant price for a filter. I'm not willing to buy junk just to save money either. If I were a professional photographer, with someone else paying the bills for the photos I take, perhaps I would consider the expensive filters. In most cases you would be spending the money for something producing perhaps a 20% improvement in a photo. Unless I become a professional and need that improvement, it isn't worth it to me. Especially when it would take magnifying glass to see any difference between a photo shot with this filter versus one shot through one costing 3 times as much, I'm going to stay with a less expensive one and be very happy I saved the money.