Lyft Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Size: 55mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 11-20 of 4,997 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,500 reviews
on January 16, 2016
Great product. There is no change to the photos, and I buy these with all of my girlfriend's lenses for the simple layer of protection. DEFINITELY worth it on that alone! We nearly lost a lens when she fell in Arches National Park, but the UV protector took the hit first and cracked... saving the $800 lens behind it. They also protect from small scratches if there is ever dust in the lens cap at all. Like I said, I buy one with each and every new lens and it goes on first thing and stays there!
on February 20, 2014
The main purpose of this product is to protect your camera lens from scratching or cracking by hitting it against something. The few dollars spent allows you to keep your much more expensive lens safe but at the same time allow you to keep it ready (keep the never ready cap/ lens cap off) for when you want to shoot. It offers no benefit for your picture taking. I would get one of these for each lens that you have along with getting a camera skin for your camera. You didn't buy the very expensive camera only for it to get ruined because you didn't want to spend a few dollars in comparison to protect it, do you? I am not saying that you have to buy this particular filter but I am saying that you should buy at least some filter to protect your camera.
on February 13, 2012
This was an accessory for a 16-35mm F/2.8L Canon lens that I purchased (separately). The filter works well during the day in bright light and otherwise conditions where the particular wavelength of blue-green light is not present.. When in the dark - whether setting it up for long exposures of the night sky or for birthday pictures with the candles lit up - I still have to remove the filter to avoid ghosting. However, at this price point, I don't expect the filter to handle this and it's kind of understood that I need to do this.

Why buy this ? I travel a lot - with my lenses and in my experience, having an extra layer of glass over the lens in itself makes it easier to clean and one less thing to bother when considering minor spills (or people trying to check out your lenses) . When I do need that clarity, I take the lens filter off, take a picture and back on goes the filter after it's temporary housing in my back pocket.

I've had previous lenses banged up (18-55 kit lenses .. in the infancy of the art) and another lens with milk shake on it (lens face down on a McD's table + clumsy skier friend = Milk shake accident ) where a UV filter has resulted in lesser pain and loss. So I'd recommend this product if you know when to take it off and when to keep it on. It does it's job and let's you do yours.

[EDIT 03/07/2012] The filter did it's job when my lens skid off a bench onto a hardwood floor. It was inside it's leather cover but it was still a hard drop. The filter took the impact and shattered keeping the lens safe. I ordered another one and is on it's way.

Please note : the filter does have ghosting issues and that's true with all but the most expensive filters. The filters I use are for lens protection - both in case of accidents as well as to protect the glass from everyday grime and dust. When I'm shooting low-light, I take off the filter and put on the lens hood - works like a charm !
on August 22, 2015
I paid very little attention to lens protection filter until I started noticing a black smudge in my air plane photos. Fortunately, I did the event with and without the filter so I was able to pinpoint the cause to this UV filter. This got me to examine/compared this filter against higher-end UV filters and lens protectors, and I was really surprised how visible the difference was.

Just take your filter out and move in and out while your eyes and the object that you are looking at. It shouldn't be obvious to your eyes that there's a piece of glass between your eyes and the object. My Hoya, Hakuba and Kenko passed the test, but this one failed in a very obvious way. This filter almost is a half mirror, reflecting a lot of the light back to my eyes!

I have 72, 67 and 52mm versions of this filter. They no longer are on my lens and destined for recycling. I wouldn't put this one even on a kit lens.
on June 13, 2016
I don't usually take time to review products. I guess I'm lazy! But I had a big scare last week. In spite of having a lens cover on my camera lens and having it in a padded bag, I was able to hit it against a hard object and totally smash the filter. I was afraid the lens had been damaged, and it would have been except for the filter. The filter was totally smashed but the lens was not damaged. If you don't use a protective filter, you should! Even if you aren't as careless as I am!
on January 26, 2016
$7 protection for my billion dollar lenses. So easy to put on and it doesn't affect the quality of the picture, and it keeps your actual lens safe! I'm the type of person to get distracted and accidentally fall down a ditch while taking photos, so knowing that my camera is a little safer makes me feel better.
on June 23, 2017
It will protect the glass and front of your lens from some minor damages for sure, but it's obviously not a life-saver.
I would not advise using these to cover your lens during actual shooting, but to protect it between shooting, when you're not going to use any other more time-consuming means of protection.
on December 24, 2012
I got this filter for free because I bought some other items, and up until I got it I had been using B+W filters, but I decided to give this one a try just to see what it was like.

First of all, this filter has a metal ring, which is really nice especially for a filter this cheap. Unfortunately, the optical quality is lacking. You get a lot of ghosting during the day and even more at night, so there is a noticeable degradation of image quality. I wouldn't leave this on my camera because of this.

The filter works fine for protecting you lens, but the question that you need to ask yourself is if you are willing to suffer lower image quality in order to save a few bucks by buying a cheap filter. I would recommend staying away from cheaper Tiffen and Bower filters and going for something that will actually improve your images, such as a B+W Filter (B+W 52mm Clear UV Haze with Single Coating (010). If you're really looking for something that will exceed in performance, go for the model with an MRC coating.
on December 25, 2015
I used a number of Tiffen filters in the past and have liked them so when I saw the sale price of $10 (+$4.99 sh) I thought it was a good deal. The filter arrived very loose in the ring as it rattles with every movement, as if the glass was cut too small. The glass appeared dirty and seemed used. After cleaning it up, there was some noticeable glare with shots as if there is no protective coating on the glass. All in all, I am very disappointed with this purchase and with the seller and will probably never buy from them again.
on April 1, 2017
This filter was a replacement for a Vivatar I purchased in a set that would not threat into a Nikkor 55-300mm. This one worked perfectly, although I was a little disappointed in that it was foggy out of the box but it cleared up with a lens tissue. I can detect no color shift nor any image distortion.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.