Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Industrial Deals

Size: 58mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$6.70+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 4,774 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,258 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 31, 2016
My wife received this UV filter as a gift and she’s extremely happy with it. She tends to be rough with her electronic gadgets, so having a protective filter for her camera lens was a priority. She used it on an early evening photo shoot with only sunlight and it performed excellently; no glare, no green reflection from a light source as another reviewer mentioned, no ghosting - all the images were crisp.

The negative reviews discussing the reflections and ghosting got us curious about how this filter would perform using artificial light. Happily, we couldn’t find any difference with an artificial light source, either.

Sometimes when reading reviews, it’s difficult to know which to give more weight since some people can hate a product while others love it. I always try to be as helpful in my reviews as possible, so if you find this helpful, consider letting me know below; understanding which reviews people like helps me to improve what I focus on (photos, videos, pros/cons, etc…)

Just so that you can see for yourself how this filter performs, we took two super quick shots with both the overhead kitchen lights on and the oven light on - one picture is with the filter, one is without it. We analyzed both shots and couldn’t find a difference. I’m including both so you can see for yourself what (almost) the same shot looks like with and without this filter. I bet you can’t tell which one had the filter!

If you are having issues with reflections and you want a filter that will specifically improve that, then this is not your filter, since it doesn’t change anything about the shot. However, if you want a filter that serves to protect your very expensive lens without altering your shot, I can’t recommend this filter more.

Also: big plus for being MADE IN THE USA!

If you have any questions, let me know, I’m happy to help! If you found this review helpful, please consider clicking yes below.

I have noticed that several reviews I have written on items purchased through Amazon have had the "Verified Purchase" removed incorrectly and as a result are no longer visible, which is likely happening to other people as well. When you read reviews, be sure to sort by 'All reviews' since there is obviously a bug in the system and many helpful and detailed reviews are now hidden.
review image review image review image review image
on April 27, 2013
I used to use this filter and found this is quite bad, bad flare and ghost, better not use it to shoot clear picture.
I put this on Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM. I know this lens won't be sharp picture when wide open aperture but when
put this tiffin filter, focus won't be clear anymore. It's just killing your lens, camera and precious time and memory.

I recently purchased HOYA filter which is a few $ more expensive than this tiffin filter in Amazon however, that is
much worth to pay. Look at the picture, I believe no word needed to tell the difference.
Tiffin, it's just a plain glass or rather low quality plain glass. If you are beginner but becoming serious about photo shooting
and already spending much for lens and camera, why not spend a few $ more.
on January 4, 2016
Tiffin makes excellent products and I have used them for years. A UV filter is a must for anyone using professional or even prosumer lenses that they value and want to protect. Much better to replace a scratched filter than to replace an entire lens! Tiffin has saved my bacon more times than I could ever count over the many years I have been shooting professionally. While there are higher-priced filters on the market, I have not personally seen an appreciable difference in the end result -- my thousands of images (both film and digital) shot with Tiffin filters.

This UV filter cuts haze just as well as the pricy B+W (I own a few and love the slim profile ones).

I suppose that there are other photo snobs like me who would disagree with my assessment, however I used to run a digital imaging lab at a museum and have really discerning standards -- so take that for whatever it's worth. I am also an exhibited photographer in two major international museums, and used these filters in the making of those images.

This item was exactly as described and arrived quickly, and was packaged well for shipping.
on February 5, 2014
**UPDATE**

I discovered that since there are just different "sizes" of the lens that I bought, I need to review them both for here.

I still have the 58mm on the two lenses below, but also I have the 52mm filter on my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Again, the thread fit well directly to the camera and do not need adaptors; no visual distortion and UV filtering works as expected.

However, I have discovered that with typical night use, on all three of the filters there is ghosting congruent with the shape of reflections of lit objects. It varies from whitish-yellow to a faint green tint that reflects to both corners of the photograph. I've also noticed this with low-light or sunset/sunrise conditions. If you don't mind having idiosyncrasies of uncoated filters, this may not bother you; however if you shoot regularly in low-light or highly reflective situations, I recommend an anti-glare coated filter (regardless of size). Otherwise, for an amateur or sub-pro photographer using in mostly daylight conditions this filter will work well.

**INITIAL REVIEW**

The 58mm UV filter I have on two lenses: the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto and the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Wide Angle lenses. The filter screws in without an adapter on both lenses--you will never need adapters for threading these filters. UV correction does well and there is no distortion. I've actually tapped these filters a couple of times on accident before I got hoods on them, and they are still scratch-free. Highly recommended for any lens with a 58mm thread--don't ruin a lens because you refuse to splurge on a protective filter!
on March 30, 2017
The filter seems of high quality and the price is reasonable. I tested the UV absorption using a UV LED and noticed pretty minimal UV absorption (although the test was qualitative and I can't quote numbers); a polaroid brand filter for another lens seemed to perform a bit better. My biggest objection was that the filter was delivered with fingerprints on it. No, not smudges... FINGERPRINTS. Anyone who deals in camera products ought to know to keep their fingers off! Finally, for those reviews that mention lens flare - it's not really a UV filter's job to stop lens flare.
on December 26, 2010
I just purchased Canon's 50mm 1.4 lens and this came free with it. I said to myself, well heck, maybe I don't need to get my go-to Hoya Multicoated UV filter this time. It's Tiffen, the name is synonymous with filters - how bad can it be? Well folks, it's bad. I only really experimented with it on indoor shots, but the reflections and ghosted light blurs are just ridiculous. It's almost comical how bad this filter is.

Maybe it is ok for some conditions, but once a shot is ruined because of a UV filter, that's it in my book. Tossed it in my pile of retired photo gear and just pressed "order" on a multicoated filter. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one. See my images for examples of the reflections.
on January 12, 2017
Tiffen has never failed to please me and they have done it yet again with a very affordable UV filter that I use on my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. Helps reduce UV influence on colors both outside as well as indoors, giving your truer colors to work with post-op.

I recommend this filter for anyone needing a 49mm UV filter, and don't forget that more often than not in a lens drop situation the filter tends to take the brunt of the damage rather than your lens! Much more affordable replacement options.
on August 16, 2011
Received the filter as a promo for buying a matching lens. I'd read the reviews - but thought it would provide reasonable protection for a price {free} that couldn't be beat. I should have taken the option to apply the purchase price to a better {coated} filter - but - not having seen the consequences before - how could you really know ??
The filter IS reasonably well constructed, and I did not see any visible flaws in the glass itself. But as noted by others - when shooting just off axis against a bright point source, internal reflections will pop up, causing noticeable artifacts.
I shot a photo of an incandescent light (one purchased before the BULB ban takes effect) in my ceiling fan - at just a slight angle off axis. The reflection of the filament is clearly visible against the dark base of the fan motor. Please note that while the image was NOT selectively retouched - it was down-processed, and center cropped from a much larger RAW image. Image was shot with a Canon 7D using Canon's 55-250 IS at 55mm, f/7.1, 1/250 sec, ISO 1000, distance 3.06 meters. The image IS posted as a user photo on the main product page. You'll know it when you see it (ceiling fan gives it away).
Conclusion: this filter will protect your lens front element, AND {the main reason I got one} should decrease the amount of dust sucked into the Canon 55-250 zoom lens. BUT - it won't be staying on my camera. While I am NOT a pro photographer - I just don't want to take the chance of having what might have been an otherwise 'perfect' shot marred by an inadvertent reflection. Nuff Said.
on May 4, 2016
This Lens filter comes with a strong glass and provides a good protection to the front element against dust, finger prints and minor usage marks. A simple and cheap way to protect your lens.

But on the other side, it impacts the image quality. As soon as the light goes down the filter starts ruining photos. I was getting great results during normal lighting condition but at night when the lights are low I was seeing lot of ghosting and flaring in the images. Initially I thought there is something wrong with my camera ISO or my lens which is causing bad low light images. I tried few things and realized that the filter is impacting the image quality so I removed the filter and my pictures were much better in low light conditions.

Now I only use it when I feel that there is chance that my lens may get damaged otherwise I do not use it. If there are normal lighting conditions, I may leave it on the lens but its a NO for low light pics.
on November 22, 2015
I bought this lens for my Sony A6000 with a Sigma 30mm E-mount lens. I always use a UV filter for protecting my lens, as I travel extensively with my camera. During the daytime, the UV filter works well and provides no noticeable degradation of image quality. However, at night this ghosts like CRAZY. I was thinking there was something wrong with my lens initially, but then decided to take the filter off while shooting. I've attached the photos.
review image review image