Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Size: 62mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 11-20 of 4,931 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,428 reviews
on February 23, 2012
There is ongoing debate over the use of UV filters. If you buy an expensive lens, why cover it up with a cheap piece of glass? Or why not take a cheap but effective insurance policy on your expensive lens? Which brand is the best? While that debate rages and while you search for and save up for the ultimate, perfect UV protection filter, just go ahead and pick this one up. This is a really good and cheap way to test drive UV filters.

Why? The price is cheap enough that it's not a huge loss to your wallet and it's a cheap and usually unobstructive method of keeping your glass protected from dings, scratches and perhaps drops.

Construction is satisfactory enough. You can tell where the metal meets the glass, it isn't the most precisely cut piece of glass but after having two both survive a year of my carelessness they are still going strong. The rim is made out of good quality metal and screws smoothly into my Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens for EOS Digital SLR Rebel XT, XTI, 20D & 30D Digital Cameras,Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras. Haven't had any threading issues at all. It also cleans very easily with lens solution and microfiber cloth. The original lens caps also still fit onto this filter though they will sit a little higher than before.

I keep these on most of the time and I haven't noticed any image quality loss issues between when I do have them and when I don't. (however, i don't spend my time magnifying pixels on my shots). That being said, this filter isn't without its' faults. It's susceptible to ghosting issues and flare issues as mentioned in other reviews. However, those problems are pretty rare in my experience and so obvious when I see it in the viewfinder that I just take the filter off for those shots and put the filter back on when I'm back to walking around. It is sometimes inconvenient but I don't expect perfection at this price and a little inconvenience now and then is worth protecting the lens.

You could obviously do better when purchasing a UV filter but you will probably have to pay for it. In this price range however, it's hard to go wrong with this filter. I have other cheap UV filters and those filters have obvious flaws in image quality. With this filter, you will know when it's flaws are acting up and you can deal with it on the spot. If you're a new photographer or a budget photographer who wants to keep their lens protected until they are comfortable shelling out more cash for a more reputable filter, this is the way to go.

I have two of these (though I'll admit that I got them free as an promotion from Amazon when I purchased two of my lenses through them). For the price and substantial quality you get for that price I would gladly buy it again if needed.
on August 4, 2016
These are pretty good and a life safer. Was photographing out at night and changed lenses at some point, when picking up backpack somehow I forgot zip it up, so in one swift move to attempt to place backpack onto my back, every lens came out flying of the pack onto the concrete floor, right away horror took over my face dropped has I was staring at my 24-105 lens rolling in front of me cracked. I picked it up and only this filter was cracked. I make sure to have them on all of my lenses a back ups as wel). This will protect ur lens more then just uvs and dust.
on October 31, 2015
Very good protection against the elements of out doors, Suns UV rays, dust, water, leaves, tall grass, branches, even rocks, If your an out door photographer, you will know what I mean, if you ever walked through rough county, I don't use it when taking photos against the sun... it's taken off the lens.. most of the time gets glare or ghost flare on the image. It's back on right after the shot though. It's better to scratch a cheap glass, then the expensive one... like the outer glass of the lens your using. That would hurt. ouch.. and this protection filter is worth the purchase. 5 Stars. Thanks for reading.
on January 30, 2017
This is the third Tiffen filter I purchased (two 55mm and one 58mm). Whenever I buy new lenses, I always purchase a UV filter to protect the front lens element. If you break the filter, just remove it and keep shooting.

Tiffen filters are well-made and work exactly as advertised. I have taken test pictures with and without the filter and cannot detect any change to the final picture. My only nit-picking complaint would be that every Tiffen filter I purchased (from multiple stores) was dusty. Not a big deal, just blow the dust off and move on. However, you would think that a new filter that's been kept in its case would be clean and dust-free. A little dust is not going to change my overall impression of these filters.
on May 29, 2013
I have used Tiffen for many years when I used film cameras. I recently bought an expensive lens and wanted to protect it so I bought this filter. As my title says it causes reflections and those reflections show up green! I know that with digital cameras you do not need UV filtering and I assumed that the coloration would not show in a digital--but I was wrong. I was shooting into a glass door and got the perfect outline of it reflected back onto a dark chair. I especially noticed this when using my new K5 II Pentax camera body. It was less noticeable when using my Pentax KR. I really don't want to have to buy some super expensive clear filter--but it looks like I may have no choice.
on July 4, 2014
A product with more than 2500 reviews!!! How often do you see that? And that count of reviews speaks for itself: this is an awesome filter at an awesome price (6 bucks with Prime. Although you have to buy it as an add-on item)!!!

The filter does a good job of blocking (or atleast reducing) the UV light while shooting in sun. I could clearly see the difference when I shot pictures with and without the filer on my lens. You see a marked decrease in the bluish hue in the pictures. And it also does the added job of protecting your lens from scratches, dust and getting it broken accidently!!!

And the best thing is they have the whole range of filter for virtually any lens you have !!!! I have one each for all my lenses and would recommend everyone to buy one!!
on May 15, 2017
Tiffen filters have always been a reputable product and an easy way to add protection to the front element of any lens. They were packaged in a flip up plastic case. Not having purchased filters for many many years I wish they still came packaged in the smaller round two piece case that twisted apart. Much easier to carry extra filters for other uses. Filters came perfectly clean that required only mounting on the lenses.
on September 10, 2015
Had to get another Tiffen - my previous filter saved my lens. Somehow, as I'm walking back from a shoot on the beach, and my camera is hanging by rapid strap around my head, my Canon 70-200 FALLS OFF and hits the pavement. My stomach knotted up as I reached down and scooped up my little work-horse and carried it back to the car. I examined it, put it back on the camera and tried it out. Functions were all okay, but the lens had a huge circular crack. Or did it? I removed the cracked filter to find that the lens was unscathed. The filter had taken the brunt of the fall. It was dented and cracked, but it had absorbed the energy from the fall. Resolved to never go without a filter again.
on May 8, 2016
Although I have no issues with the speed of delivery and condition of this product as delivered, I had lingering questions about a telephoto lens that I used this filter with. I was afraid that the curious lack of quality in my pictures was due to a bad lens. However, when I took some pictures under controlled conditions, i found that most of my quality issue were not the lens but rather this filter. Time after time, pictures without the filter were much clearer and with little distortion versus those taken with this filter. I can only conclude that the filter was of particularly poor quality or it wasn't of the parentage that was suggested. I suppose that I should have been more suspicious of the attractive price relative to other similar filters of other brands.
on October 22, 2014
I posted this review previously, but it was deleted without explanation. I assume this action was taken because attached image was of collector's rifle cartridges. The picture clearly illustrated with and without filter image quality and the huge amount of pincushion distortion cause by the filter. Setting aside the liberal hysteria policy over the subject of firearms, the filter is useless for anything other than keeping dust off of a good lens.

Look for a multi-element or multi-coated distortion free glass filter and avoid putting a cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive camera, particularly when used for taking emotionally or commercially important pictures.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.