TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon

Tiffen 67mm UV Protection Filter
Size: 67mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on November 22, 2015
I bought this lens for my Sony A6000 with a Sigma 30mm E-mount lens. I always use a UV filter for protecting my lens, as I travel extensively with my camera. During the daytime, the UV filter works well and provides no noticeable degradation of image quality. However, at night this ghosts like CRAZY. I was thinking there was something wrong with my lens initially, but then decided to take the filter off while shooting. I've attached the photos.
review imagereview image
62 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2018
This is the first purchase you should make after purchasing a lens. My wife and I use these in combination with lens hoods like we use screen protectors and cases for our phones. I kid you not, the moment I put this filter and a lens cap on my wife's new camera lens to take some shots of our son, he launched her car keys right at the camera. This purchase immediately paid for itself, as it is a LOT cheaper to purchase a new lens filter than it is a new lens. Tiffen's prices are also the best bang for the buck. My personal recommendation is to not even use a brand new lens until you put a lens filter on it to make sure it is protected from the start.

Cons: The only drawback to a lens filter is that they ten to produce lens flare in situations where light sources are visible in the shot, ESPECIALLY when those sources are not dead center in the frame. This can be a very cool effect if you decide to take advantage of it, but it can also be a hindrance, depending on what look you are going for. In those rare cases, you will want to remove the lens filter. Just be aware of wind and sand etc while your lens is unprotected, and you should be fine.
8 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about this piece. This review is based on my usage of the piece with my Canon70D and 28-135mm lens:
I purchased the 72mm piece to go on the lens I use the most, my wide angle 28-135mm IS lens from Canon. I always have the lens cap on when I'm not using my lens and when I'm using it, I always have the petal on it. This filter screws perfectly on the lens. In addition to the filter I can also use my petal and the lens cap if needed!! Big plus!

I haven't noticed any "ghosting" effects like some users have reported. I've taken photos in the early morning, mid-day, and at dusk. Still no ghosting effects when using the filter.

The filter is solid and has some weight to it. I feel as though its of high quality. The weight of the glass has no impact on shooting.

You can't beat the price for the quality you get!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
I used to use this filter and found this is quite bad, bad flare and ghost, better not use it to shoot clear picture.
I put this on Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM. I know this lens won't be sharp picture when wide open aperture but when
put this tiffin filter, focus won't be clear anymore. It's just killing your lens, camera and precious time and memory.

I recently purchased HOYA filter which is a few $ more expensive than this tiffin filter in Amazon however, that is
much worth to pay. Look at the picture, I believe no word needed to tell the difference.
Tiffin, it's just a plain glass or rather low quality plain glass. If you are beginner but becoming serious about photo shooting
and already spending much for lens and camera, why not spend a few $ more.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
128 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on January 28, 2016
The idea that these are used as "UV filters" is outdated. That was the case with film, adding this filter increased clarity by filtering some wavelengths found in haze and glare that were enhanced by film, but that is apparently not an issue with digital. These are really protection for the front element of your lens, but that comes at a cost. Every piece of glass you make the light pass through degrades the image to some degree.

I own a few of these, I use them on lenses attached to my digital SLRs when I'm walking around doing tourist stuff and taking snapshots, the benefit of protection out in the world outweighs any image degradation for me. For inside/ studio use, these come off. I also use them on my Mamiya RZ lenses for shooting film outside for the haze filtering abilities stated above. All of my Mamiya lenses have a 77mm thread on the front so it is very convenient.
10 people found this helpful
on October 9, 2017
After a week of tripod and handheld testing under various outdoor light conditions, I've reached the conclusion that this filter is causing a serious reduction in the sharpness and quality of the images recorded with my Canon camera and lens. When I initiated action to return it, Amazon just refunded my money and didn't require an actual return.
6 people found this helpful
on March 1, 2017
We frequently use our cameras outdoors and in rain and dusty conditions. We also do a lot of pet photography (they always seem to want to put their wet nose on the camera lens). This will protect the front of your lens from these situations as well as from scratches or cracks due to bumping the front of the lens. Same thing with babies or kids touching the front of the lens. It is a lot easier and safer to clean or replace the protection filter than an expensive lens. Typical excellent Tiffen quality.
5 people found this helpful
on September 21, 2016
Great UV Filter for the price. USA made by a trusted company! Simple piece of mind to protect your lens from scratches or in the even of a drop. Not to mention the UV filtering benefit.
Used this one on my Wifes (old but still awesome) Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 "Push Pull" lens.

We have had none of the glare or ghosting problems that other people have reported with this filter. Even when we tried to take photos of lightbulbs like some other the reviewers photos...

If you found anything helpful in this review, I would appreciate you taking the time to click so below! Thanks!
4 people found this helpful
on January 10, 2018
After learning more about photography, I’ve come to the conclusion that UV filters are unnecessary and potentially hurt your photos with added chance of lens flare, especially if you plan on stacking a polarizer or ND on top of it. Unless you expect mud or sand flying at your lens, you don’t need to put a $10 piece of glass in front of a lens costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, for the same reason you avoid taking photos through your windshield. If you want accidental impact protection, get a lens hood.

That said, I can’t complain about the quality. The build is as expected, thin aluminum with good threads. The glass is flawless, and I haven’t noticed any added vignettes or aberrations. Tiffen makes a quality product. I bought their CPL and variable ND after a great deal of research, and I couldn’t be happier.

The first filter I received had a minor scratch near an edge and small flecks embedded in the glass. I requested a return and was quickly shipped a replacement, and they let me just throw the other filter away.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I bought this to protect my Sony 50mm 1.8 prime lens. It's done a great job in protection, deflecting some light and dust or rain. I'm normally a landscape photographer but, I am passionate in taking portraits of others. I'd list my pro's and con's below.

PROs:
- Keeps lens glass clean. (Prevents dust, some rain and other dirt from touching the glass)
- Protects the lens glass
- Twists in easily and quick

CONs:
- Depending by the threading on your lenses, it could get stuck
- Hard to remove sometimes but, only if you do plan to remove it a lot
- Some light reflects from it and you capture it when you take your shot.

Summing up:

Overall, this UV protection filter does the job great. It does what all over well from what's in its description of the item. Just be aware of the light hitting the filter, try having a Lens hood on to block which ever light is causing bad light leaks or reflections on your shot.
One person found this helpful