Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,724 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,810 reviews
on October 13, 2016
I use it with a canon rebel SL1 and it works great. it adds a little saturation to your pictures and help you removing or adding sun reflection on water which is really cool. I post edit all my pictures so this is a little add on while taking photography but I really like this product and it is very easy to use.

I would definitely recommend it if like me, you like shooting landscapes and sunsets.

If you found this helpful, please click yes :)
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2015
If you shoot photos outdoors, this filter needs to be attached to the end of your lens. The polarizer darkens blue skies (if the sky is light blue, you get deep, rich blue) and eleminates glare and reflection in glass and water. I use this filter primarily when taking pictures of cars. It removes any reflections in the paint of the car/ windows and exposes the sky at the same time. A definite must have. Keep in mind that this polarizer will make your image darker so if shooting in lower light be sure to use a tripod.
review image
on November 21, 2009
I have had many polarizers over the years. I have used filters such as this for over 25 years. I like the Tiffen as it is not too dark for most uses. I keep it on for almost every shot (unless it is night time or quite dark) to protect my lenses and for it's mild polarizing effect. (I take 1000s of images on a shoot, mostly landscape) Some other brands are too dark to do this. The dark ones many times look too polarized, and post processing has to take much of this out anyway. I do have a few of these and use them occasionally. I have found that an image that is properly balanced that does not need too much darkening or lightening post processing is much better, I have a Hoya but it is always falling apart (and way too dark). I have Heliopan 77mm Circular Polarizer Lens Filters and like the quality, but again they are too dark to keep on all the time. The Heliopan is the one I keep for special uses when I want more polarizing effects than I get with the Tiffen. The Tiffen polarizers I have had only were replaced when they became too scratched for use, broken from being dropped or run into things, or lost over board in my boat. As I said a couple of Hoya ones were replaced because they fell apart.
I use a Canon 5D with all high end L series lenses (most costing well over $1000.00) and have sold over 1300 framed GiClees ($300-$800 each). I feel that this filter does not compromise the quality of my images.
So in review. I don't want an unnatural appearance due to my filters. I do want the pleasing effects I can achieve with the Tiffen filter. I have never had a problem with any I had purchased, so recommend them to others. And I will continue to use them myself.
Albert Mach Fine Art
77 comments| 768 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2014
I bought this recently for my Nikon D3200 and it fits perfectly. It is very easy to screw on and off (haven't encountered having to use pliers to take it off like some reviewers).

This is my first CPL filter i have owned, so I cannot compare it to more expensive filters. However, it is clear that a nicer CPL filter would exist in the world. I took some difficult photos of snowy mountains (Idaho sawtooths) yesterday and had a tough time aligning the dark polarizer onto the blue sky behind the mountains (see photo). However, when taking pictures of rivers/creeks the polarizer cuts through the whitewater and allows you to see the river rocks (see my before/after photos). Also, the green foliage beside the river 'pops' with the filter. Unfortunately, at time, the polarizer gives the photos an artificial look (as opposed to a more natural look). Like it's been touched up.

It is a great filter, i love it. But definitely amateur quality (perfect for my needs), if you want to take professional-quality photos then you will need something nicer.
review image review image review image review image
on May 27, 2017
The main annoyance, and the only one i found to be, is getting the polarizer on and off. By the time you mess around with it and get it securely on, you have just as much difficulty getting it back off. Besides that fact it actually works really well. I had just bought a new lens, we all know how expensive that can be, so i wasn't particularly interested in buying a polarizer for another $80. And because i found this so much more cheaper, i probably never will again, i have attached some photos below of the difference between the two price ranges. I don't see enough of a difference, personally, to warrant the extra money on the more expensive one.

One is on my kit lens, with an 80$ polarizer. And the wide angle lens is the one with this polarizer
review image review image
on September 3, 2016
During the summer I almost always have a polarizer on most of my lenses. In Colorado the sunlight is super intense and this helps even things out. I have other Tiffen products and i think they are the correct intersection of value and quality. These aren't the cheapest filters, but neither are they junk or expensive either. This is a sound investment in your photography and you won't cry if you scratch, break or lose one.
on July 6, 2017
I've only had this 46mm filter for one day, but my first impression is that it's a bit underwhelming. For some odd reason, it comes packaged in an over-sized, plastic square box which does nothing to secure the product in place. I was disappointed to find that there were oily smudges on the glass and scattered bits of dust, giving it the appearance of a used product. Easily remedied with a microfiber cloth; however, the lack of quality control there comes across as unprofessional. For a product that's "Made in USA" it is also somewhat lacking in build quality. The adjustment ring feels rough when you turn it, as though you are twisting it over a layer of sand and you can actually hear it crackling at points. I expected that based on other reviews, I'd have a difficult time getting it on or off the front of the lens, but that hasn't been a problem at all. But perhaps that's because I have long slender fingers with good grip at the tips. As for its most important feature, I find the polarization just okay - it's a little weak with far less "pop" and saturation than I expected. I guess you get what you paid for, which I have no problem with. I'm a novice photographer so I don't need anything too crazy right now. So to be fair, I'll experiment with it for a few days before I consider returning it. At the very least, I could use it to protect my front element.
on January 7, 2013
I have never owned one of these before so when I got it I looked through both sides, turned it all the way around, and didn't notice any difference. I concluded that I received a defective filter.

One poster here suggested to look through it into a mirror. One way it should look clear and the other, dark. It did!.

Another person on YouTube suggested the same thing, but instead looking at a computer monitor. Again, clear one way, dark the other.

Finally I took it outside and tried it on automobile reflections. Without the filter there was a wide splotch of glare on the hood of the car and with the filter, the splotch was reduced to a tight circle about the size of the sun, so it does work. After all, it was a direct reflection of the sun.

As for bluer sky's, I tried that and it made them bluer (I think?). It also made pronounced differences on the grass color which was easier to see. Anyway, I understand that how much difference this makes is determined by the angle of the light so I have some more testing to do.

Anyway, at first, I was ready to send this back because I didn't know what to expect or how to test it. This is one case when ignorance is not bliss.

I have to assume that a better filter will be better, but for the price difference, this seems to be a good filter with which to get your feet wet and perhaps will be all that many of us need.

On the issue of whether the filter degrades the image...

I have only taken a few pictures, but I cannot see any degradation what-so-ever. If fact, I see an improvement in shadows making everything seems a little more defined.
on September 21, 2015
I have purchased two of the polarizers because they are so wonderful. The way my colors are saturated and how I can get rid of unwanted reflections just blows me away. That is more of a review of *all* polarizers though, so what makes the Tiffen good?

DURABILITY

I have dropped a lens with one of the polarizers attached onto concrete. The polarizer has a tiny scratch now, but my lens was unharmed and is still usable.

FEEL

The amount of give this polarizer has when adjusting the polarization angle is perfect. It's not so tight your fingers would get tired but stiff enough that you can leave it on for days without the angle changing.

CONSTRUCTION

This filter feels solid and screws in perfectly. Be careful not to screw it on too tight however, or it will be very hard to remove without a filter wrench.

See my unedited attached photos (50mm/1.8) to see how polarization increases saturation.
review image review image
on August 29, 2016
I have not had this particular filter before, I usually get one to keep 'stuff' off my camera lens, but after using this one, and turned the filter while viewing through the camera at a cloudy sky, the colors changed, from an almost clear, to a better darker blue, giving me more contrast and removing some bright areas. Not a huge difference, but enough to make a difference that will produce a better picture. I like it. It's the most expensive filter I have ever bought, but since I had a gift card, I didn't worry about it too much. Now I know what it can do, I would buy another. My previous filters on my other camera were just plain polarizing, maybe a 10-15 dollar purchase. I also trust Tiffen, and all my other filters are Tiffen.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.