BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on June 15, 2015
Grade: B-

After Davey's father is murdered in his store in Atlantic City, she, her mother and brother move to Los Alamos to with her aunt and uncle. Despite her anger and grief, her mother's depression and her aunt and uncle's strict overprotectiveness, she makes friends and begins to heal.

TIGER EYES is the 5th Judy Blume book I've read this week, revisiting some of her works from my childhood in the seventies, when she wrote many of her middle grade and teen books. Due to the lack of technology, TIGER EYES is dated (do teenagers still know what looking up a book in a card catalogue is?). Everybody grieves differently, though many people experience similar feelings and paths toward healing. A lot of Davey's healing steps seem to be described, without any later mention. For instance, she tells the therapist something traumatic about the night her father died, seems to have a breakthrough then nothing else. Similarly, other subplots didn't feel finished.

Still, I'd recommend TIGER EYES to teens experiencing grief and those who enjoy realistic fiction.

THEMES: death, grief, substance abuse, moving, school, family
on November 25, 2015
I rated this book a 5/5 stars because it is not only a good read, but it captivates your attention and you want to keep reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about growing after a big event in life. It was inspirational. I do wish, however, that we could learn of what happens with Davey and Wolf. Does he come and visit her? Does he find the letters in the caves when he returns to Los Alamos? Lots of unanswered questions there but I guess we just leave it to our imaginations. Overall, this was a very well written story and kept your attention. I loved it.
on May 27, 2011
After reading Forever I went on a bit of a Judy Blume kick, trying to find all the ones I missed that are aimed at teenagers or up (I'm not sure I'm up for an MG novel). I'm determined to figure out how to write normal life scenes this engaging. It almost seems like she could have the characters do anything and make it a fascinating read. They shower, they change their sneakers, trim toenails -- all stuff that is generally forbidden in writing guides -- and yet it works. Tiger Eyes could have been like an after school special. In fact, it probably was made into one. It's about a 15 year-old girl whose father is killed in a hold up, and she has to learn how to deal. It's not preachy. The people are just real, the friendships real, the family dynamics real. The early 80's Los Alamos setting is even interesting. There's no sex, no violence (other than the retroactively occurring murder), but there is a lot of excellent dialog.
on June 27, 2017
Good Read
on July 15, 2017
A touching and thought provoking story about loss of a loved
One. Each character grieves in a different way, and finds different ways to move on
on May 19, 2015
It wasn't my favorite book of all time and I doubt I will re-read it in the future, but it held my attention and was interesting to read. I finished it in a night.
on May 29, 2014
I found the movie on Netflix and decided to watch it, but it seemed like it wasn't quite right, so I decided I had to read the book over again. I loved this book as a kid. And I'm now 40 years old, so yeah, felt a little silly buying it again, but it was worth it. The movie was pretty good, but it does stray from the book. Anyways, the book is still great after all these years. I can relate to it even more now, having lost a parent. I would definitely pass it on to future generations!!
on August 2, 2014
Just as great as it was when I read it as a teen. Definitely written for adults, too. So well written with great character developement and an in-depth and engaging plot. Judy Blume still writes so wonderfully. I just re-read her Super Fudge series, as well as one if my younger sisters is reading it. Just as funny and just as engaging as the novels she wrote for teens and adults. A+++
on February 15, 2017
Amazing with endless real-life emotion. Always one of my favorite books. A story of loss and moving on, that touches the heart, forever.
on July 15, 2015
When I was younger I loved reading Judy Blume's books. Now I am happy to say that my daughter enjoys reading Judy Blume too. She loves this book, she read the paperback version and wanted to read it again which is why I brought the kindle version for her.