Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 6, 2015
Most people who follow Walt Disney Studios' films know about the movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas". A stop motion masterpiece directed by Henry Selick and produced by Tim Burton (unavailable as he was filming Batman Returns), this fable is the third part of a trilogy Tim Burton did I personally call "The Christmas Trilogy". One that started with Edward Scissorhands, continued with Batman Returns, and finished with this story. That of Jack Skellington who, tired of the same relentless life as Pumpkin King in the world of Halloween, wishes of something new and inadvertently stumbles unto the world of Christmas. Uncovering a culture he wishes to share his own take to all the children in the real world. A good intention that brings forth more trouble than what he intended.

Let's make it straight, this book is not a direct adaptation of the movie. Instead, this is the original poem Tim Burton had written and proposed to the Studios when he worked as a Disney Animator in the late seventies and early eighties. A poem with his original illustrations accompanying his stanzas. Artwork that is instantly recognizable with its German expressionism and its faerie colors, and character designs. Regarding that last aspect, it is interesting to see that although the characters of Oogie Boogie and Sally are absent, characters with their eventual designs do appear in the background at a certain page. As to whether or not Tim Burton had done those paintings in the seventies before he even got to produce this movie in the nineties, it would be wonderful if he had done that art in the seventies as that specific illustration would foreshadow Sally and Boogie's eventual presences in this story.
Among my favorite artworks, I particularly adore the two-paged painting that presents Jack falling down into Christmas town, and also the last one as Halloween land is.... no, I won't reveal that spoiler. Would ruin the story's punch.

Personally, I know a video version reading of that story also exists on certain DVD releases. Narrated by Christopher Lee, his voice has the perfect tone acting skills to give the story the emotional reading it deserves. Not only that, it also ties in with what Burton did with Vincent Price for his first short film, "Vincent". A masterpiece that was the best love letter a fan could give to his favorite actor, this special reading is another tribute to another actor Burton respected.

In sum, the "Nightmare Before Christmas" book is the perfect classic for Christmas and Halloween time. The universe for which Tim Burton shall always be fondly remembered of.
Top Contributor: Batmanon October 7, 2015
Though many have debated the issue of authorship in the 1993 movie, whether it belongs to director Henry Selick, screenwriters Michael McDowell and Caroline Thompson, or lyricist/composer/singer Danny Elfman, Tim Burton's original poem, though lacking several of the side characters, including Oogie Boogie, contains the same basic plot. The Jack Skellington of the poetic <i>Nightmare Before Christmas</i> is the same Jack Skellington of the film and Burton establishes the perfect sense of mood and place that defined the movie.
Though the poem predates the film by eleven years, it is difficult not to view the book as a companion piece to its successor, if only because the film has surpassed its predecessor. Burton's poem is a perfect exploration of a theme where the story is second to the concept, while the movie uses the concept to drive the plot. The difference is subtle enough that fans of the movie will find plenty to love in Burton's original poem and readers of the poem who (somehow) have not seen the film will feel compelled to watch it.
on October 6, 2016
I wanted to love this book, but come one, no SALLY?! and no Oogie Boogie?? They should have at least been in the pictures or a few teeny lines incorporating them. Sally was a main character! I love the way the book rhymes and its definitely a fun read but at the end it feels rushed, making little sense, almost as if the writer was like " ok I don't want to write anymore, i'll leave off here ". I am a huge fan of the movie and i still read the book to my daughter but with a few more pages it could have been a 5 star book.
on December 25, 2017
I love this book. It stands on its own merit. You don't need to see the film to appreciate this version of the story, but I recommend the movie too. The artwork is wonderful and Mr. Burton has added images to this edition of his book. It was really fun to read out loud and a perfect addition to my Nightmare collection.
on October 16, 2015
I bought this book for my husband but in the long run my son gets more use out of it. As soon as Halloween hits and until new years this is our bed time book and we watch the movie numerous times as well. My little guy obsesses over Jack Skellington and genuinely thinks he's the coolest pumpkin king. From his love of this book we often decorate for Halloween in TNBC and just leave everything up for Christmas. This book is pretty large but the pictures are amazing! From a grown man to a child this series has kept them both entertained over the years.
on October 8, 2009
The first book that Tim Burton wrote and illustrated, The Nightmare Before Christmas, has become a cult classic (as far as the film goes) and it was refreshing for me to sit back and read what Burton had written back in 1993 before the movie was released. A simple childdren's book with that twisted vision of Burton's to make it so appealing. Jack Skellington is the king of Halloweentown where nothing but Halloween ever goes on, but he grows so very, very bored of his Halloween existence. Like all of us stuck in a menial, dead-end job, he wants more. Walking through the foreest he finds the doorways to other holidays. Through the tree-shaped and he lands smack in the middle of snowy, cheerful, twinkling Christmas Town. Facinated by the other holiday, Jack is inspired to change his routine, he wishes to take over Christmas. So they will kidnap the Sandy Claws and Jack will take his place.

The only thing that brings this book down to a mere 4 stars is that it is super condensed (short) and doesn't even hint at Oogie Boogie. But it is a refreshing look at a story that's been one of my favoriets for 16 years or so. For Nightmare junkies (like myself) this is a great little piece of artistic heroin.

Dig it!
on August 1, 2017
I bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas as we're both fans of the movie. For those that don't know this is not a book based on the movie but a poem that Tim Burton wrote before the movie and based the movie off of this. We both loved the poem and the original artwork by Tim Burton. The only complaint was the book was packaged with other items and damaged in delivery (small tear on dust jacket). I did receive a replacement before Christmas that was in perfect condition.
on January 11, 2018
My wife loves anything Nightmare before Christmas. This is no exception! The illustrations in this book are amazing. It almost brought tears to her eyes when she opened it at Christmas. Great book to add to your N.B.C. collection!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I've always enjoyed the film version of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, but this adaptation is terribly disappointing. The artwork is fine (though nothing strikes me as paticularly impressive or better than the original), and the story is very close to that of the film and reuses its dialogue mostly word-for-for. However, what is missing here is the presence of Danny Elfman. His music and lyrics (see Nightmare Before Christmas Special Edition) make the film stand out, and their absence here makes the resulting story seem flat. To sum up, you're better off watching the film (and will probably enjoy it more) than reading this book.
on April 12, 2015
I bought this as a gift for someone that loves all things Nightmare Before Christmas. Her reaction alone would be enough to make me buy it a hundred times over.
Neither of us even knew that there was a Nightmare By Christmas book and we're pretty aware of what's out there. I'm always on the lookout for these treasures. A few years ago I managed to find a 4 foot painting of Jack Skellington and was so excited I was unable to wait till her birthday to give it to her.
I love the illustrations in this book andthe fact that once again i was able to surprise my best friend.