Top critical review
26 people found this helpful
VERY poorly constructed.
on October 14, 2013
I typically find Amazon Reviews to be very helpful and more often than not I'd say the average rating is spot on, so I decided to order these boots along with a couple other pairs when looking for a replacement for my tattered Wolverines. In this case I can't believe how badly the average rating fit the product.
I was really surprised when these arrived and I opened the box. I've tried Timberland's before and they had a very respectable fit and finish. My initial reaction was, "These ones HAVE to be knock-offs." They look like they were hot-glued together by a 10 year old. I can't help but think back to a pair of leather moccasins I made from a kit at summer camp as a kid. Seriously, they're put together that bad. So here goes:
- The exterior looks pretty decent.
- It appears they would break in very fast as they are assembled just like tennis shoes.
- The price is reasonable for a pair of work boots.
- There is no edging anywhere, pieces are just cut roughly to shape and sewn on with all the edges of the fabric and insulation showing. Check out the third product image that shows the boot from the back and look closely at what you can see of the inside of the tongue... That's what the whole inside of the boot is like. Some spots aren't covered with insulation at all.
- The insoles are cheap, flat foam. I've been wearing either Durashocks or SuperFeet Orange insoles for the last few years and these are a huge letdown.
- The footbed is hard plastic with big globs of hot-glue-like cement smeared all over on both boots and several big globs that need scraped off just to avoid big bumps rubbing against my feet.
- No speed-lacing hooks near the top of the boot, so laces need to be loosened considerably when taking off.
- These are NOT insulated with Thinsulate as listed, rather they use a fabric called Thermolite. I don't know how the two compare, so I won't list as a positive or negative, just something to take note of.
- The tag says "Made in Dominican Republic."
Disappointed overall and sending them back. Not sure how this got so many rave reviews.