Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,695 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,775 reviews
on April 15, 2015
I've worn these Timberland boat shoes for 12 or 15 years. I have just ordered a pair from Amazon and there are notable differences and they are not upgrades, they are down grades. First they don't fit at all well or true to size. The problem is that the toe box is way oversized. I don't think this can be remedied by going down a size because that would make the shoe smaller overall, including length which is not the problem. The problem is sloppy fit. Second, there is a lot less leather in these than in my previous several pairs. The doubling of leather has been replaced by false stitching which appears to be there to sew two layers of leather together – but don't be fooled. They are single layer all over. In my previous pairs the lace was a genuine moccasin lace that went all the way around the shoe and then laced up through the two pairs of eyelets. In the new models the lace around the shoe is false. It dead-ends into the seam below the eyelets and won't do anything to make the fit snugger.
Overall the shoe has been dropped way down in quality and does not fit. I am sending these back and will not buy more.
If the Timberland Corporation is reading these reviews, my advice is to return to the former quality which was excellent but now is poor.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2013
This is a very nice shoe. I ordered my normal size and when it arrived I was aware that it was too large for my feet. I compared it physically with other similar shoes I own and could see the difference. I went online to arrange an exchange for a half size smaller and was provided with a pre-paid UPS label to return the original pair. And within 2 days the replacement pair arrived. These fit fine. So I suggest that if you purchase these, order at least a half size smaller than you normally wear. The manufacturer is a little off in measurements.
44 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2015
I've been wearing Timberland boat shoes for almost 30 years and this has been the only pair that I have been dissatisfied with its quality. They are flimsy, and extremely light weight. The rawhide laces, threaded around the heel of the shoe are not part of the laces that you tie off. In other words, you cannot tighten the heel of the shoe on your foot as they stretch. Worst of all, the brass eyelets split apart and cut my pants and ankles, within 6 months of use. These eyelets were very very thin brass and of shoddy quality. All Timberland brand shoes I've owned in the past were high quality shoes designed to be used for out door activities. This pair was not good enough to survive 6 months of casual weekend use.
on December 27, 2016
This shoe is a HUGE disappointment. Nothing like the construction or quality of the same Timberland item in the past. Every aspect of the shoe has been cheapened. The sole is a single layer and thin, rather than the cushioning double density sole of the past model. The leather is stiffer and causes pain across the top of the toes when it bends. As another reviewer noted, the leather on the front sides and toe has been reduced to a single layer, rather than the double layer of the past model, again reducing comfort and stability of the shoe. The foam inner sole has been reduced to a thin, shock transmitting mat thickness, rather than the form fitting thick material of the past model. This shoe is very uncomfortable, even painful, to wear. And, of course, the price point of the new model does NOT reflect any of these significant negative changes. Whoever made the decision at the corporate level to redesign this shoe in this atrocious manner is apparently oblivious to the damage he or she created to the Timberland brand, which used to signify quality of design and construction. It's hard to believe this shortsightedness is allouwed to help ruin an important American trademark.
on August 22, 2015
comfortable,nice form and it has a nice color. It deserves the prime price. Use U.S. Size.
review image
on June 10, 2013
After first putting them on, and being surprised by how loose they felt, I compared these shoes to another pair of thoroughly-broken-in Timberland boat shoes that I have owned for several years. Both are the same stated size, yet these were 1/2" longer and 1/4" wider. And they are brand new! Imagine after they were worn and got stretched out. But size was not my only gripe.

I wore them around the house for about 10 minutes, and could not help but notice the poor cushioning of the soles. Regardless of whether I was on carpeting or hardwood, I felt like I was wearing slippers on concrete. So, I took them off to begin the return process, and realized that my feet had become sweaty. In an unlined shoe, in only a few minutes! Apparently this new "Eco-conscious" tanning process also acts as a sealing process. Not a very desirable feature in casual shoes. As so often is the case in shoes these days, quality is inversely proportional to hype.

Oh.. and the "Taupe" color is quite dark. At a glance, you would see it as a darkish brown.
on November 10, 2014
I have happily owned 2 pairs of these previously, and figured I'd do a simple replacement. Unfortunately, two not-so-subtle design changes have reduced the quality to the point where I'm returning them.

1. A flimsy removable insole has replaced the prior comfortable built-in footbed. These are now essentially moccasins with a cheap running shoe insert, and so not useful for any serious walking.

I considered substituting a higher quality insole, but discovered another problem:

2. Lacing is not "360-degree" as advertised, and as it was on earlier models. The cowhide lacing that runs around the top of the shoe behind the heel is now decorative only - it is not connected to the lacing in the front of the shoe. As you'll know if you have boat shoes, the integrated lacing is essential to making these fit, and Timberland appears to have designed this feature out - no doubt to save a few pennies of cost.

These did seem inexpensive when I purchased them - now I understand why.

Boo. Need to start researching alternatives.

Update: Replaced with Sperry Mako. Addressed both shortcomings above in a higher quality shoe, definitely worth the extra $20. Wolverine appears to be acting as a much better steward of the Sperry brand than VF is of the Timberland brand.
on March 25, 2015
I have been buying Timberland's Kiawah Bay shoes for years. I just bought the dark brown/brown pair.

I am not a fan of two recent style changes:
1) Look at the contrasting color patch screaming the Timberland name on the top of the tongue of the shoe. The manufacturer's name is a bit too prominent for my taste. As always, the logo appears also stamped on the side of the shoe which looks fine my me.
2) The shoe inserts are now a simple foam. Earlier models have had an insert with much more arch support. These give no arch support. The older models were superior to Sperry products for me because the arch support was there. Take away the arch support, then the shoe is only less expensive than similar Sperry products.

While the price is right for the shoes, these shoes are inferior in build quality than earlier Kiawah Bay models. I would have preferred a more expensive shoe with better build quality.
on January 27, 2015
These shoes were just a purchase for something casual to wear around the house and on weekends. I really didn't want to spend a lot, especially since I tear up shoes in about 6 months. I've bought a lot of shoes with a similar design over the last few years, and some of them cost quite a bit more. I truly like these the best out of the bunch. This is primarily because they were so comfortable right out of the box. And that is partly because these are suede, but they are also properly cut in a wide size, as I need.

While it's personal preference, I love the mid-to-lighter brown color. Despite swearing that I'm not picky about things like that, I tend to wish that something might be a little lighter/darker, more satin, or whatever. So as meaningless as it sounds, if you think the picture of these shoes is one with "appealing brown," you may like them as much as me.

Anything negative I can say? Well, the laces are really on the long side, but that's easily fixed by just trimming them down. I'm also going to say that for some, these might feel a little too relaxed on the sides for what some may be used to - I just replaced a pair of Sebagos with almost restrictive support because of the heavy leather construction. For that reason - I prefer these, but it really comes down to personal preference.

I really wasn't expecting to give these 5 stars, but that is what I honestly think they are worth, especially at the price!
on October 23, 2013
Shoes came in as expected without any issues with packaging. It was double boxed for stiffness so nothing was damaged.

I read people's posts and questioned whether or not I should go 1/2 a size smaller. I usually buy 11-1/2 size shoes due to my wide feet. For sketchers or boots in general this rule of thumb usually works for me.

Since this is my first venture into loafers I forgot the material is leather. So over time the shoes will stretch and so with this reasoning I went with size 11 as recommended by others. Its actually a little tight at first but I purchased some conditioner and after wearing it for a week I suspect they will fit perfectly. So remember that this is leather and forgiving.

I might consider buying another pair if these work out well.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.