Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 15, 2016
First, this is a very well made product manufactured right here in the USA. It took a very minor amount of fiddling to figure out the most efficient way to set it up. The product works as advertised and produces an accurate and sharp (better than factory) chain. It's very expensive for what it is, but I figure it will pay me back in the long run on reduced chain wear due to sharpening. Most home users simply don't have to time/practice necessary to learn to accurately file a chain and even if you do, you'll never be as accurate as this tool. The one thing I noticed and fixed on the 1st loop I ran through it was that it needed a scale on the slider. It's no big deal on a chain that spent life going through the Timberline, but a filed chain can be so far out tooth to tooth that the length is hard to maintain precisely because you hit a long tooth and have to back off the pawl and feed it back in and there is no way to tell exactly where you were set before. I remedied this by laminating a scale on the back side of the slide so I had registration marks to get me right back where I was, not just in the neighborhood. It also lets me see how much material I'm removing on each sharpening and how much has been removed over the life of the chain. Again, you take only what you need and will get a lot more sharpenings out of a chain and the carbide cutter. There is also no heat (like with a grinder) to ruin the temper on the chain if you aren't careful. A carbide bit will last a really long time if you realize you are working with a brittle material and don't force in without rotating it or worse yet turn it backwards (instant death for the tool). Moral of the story, take light cuts while constantly turning the cutter with nice light feed pressure both in and out of the cut! Your chain and your carbide cutter will thank you with long life and increased performance.
11 comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 22, 2017
I really like this tool. first a caution. There are many ways to use this tool improperly and get poor results. Do invest the time to read all Timberline's on-line instructions, tips-n-tricks and watch the video. Once you have the technique, the Timberline chainsaw sharpener produces sharpening much more consistent than you cannot get with a grinder or file. It takes more time but the results are much better than having a vendor sharpen your chains. Although it takes more time to sharpen than other methods, you get that time back when you start cutting. I called Timberline with a question and received useful guidance.
on June 21, 2014
I used this on my Husqvarna Rancher and what a beautiful job it did. One note, it might be worth buying a new chain and using it to resharpen the new chain right from the git-go. If you've got a chain you've hand filed many times by hand you'll spend too much time and waste the sharpness of your carbide cutter trying to get the chain cutters back to a perfectly uniform state. The sharpener seems to work by using the back of the tooth as a reference point for the finished sharpened state of each tooth, so in effect if you've sharpened many times by hand and you've taken off different amounts over several hand sharpenings, the tool wants to sharpen all your teeth to the shortest available length. I have one chain I sharpened a couple times by hand, and one new chain ready for it's first sharpening and the older chain took three gos to get it perfect. The new chain ready for it's first sharpening was so easy it was unbelievable,one go, like new.. That being said once you get an older chain to it's "preferred state" it will sharpen just like a new one. Much faster then hand filing, you'll actually sharpen more often because it's so easy. Tool is extremely well built, very portable (you can put it in your pocket) and no motors or cheap plastic parts to break. Well worth the price, totally satisfied, totally recommend.
11 comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2015
You just cant go wrong. If you have to sharpen a saw more than 3 times a yr you need to own this. This is a precision instrument and worth the money. Quality thats hard to find these days. Keep in mind this is more of an upkeep sharpener. Buy this and a new chain and never look back. I dont ever comment on purchases but this is one rarity that deserves good feedback.
on June 27, 2017
Just make sure you don't turn the cutter backwards, you'll chip the teeth off the cutter. Otherwise it works great! Read the FAQs on the website for some useful info if you haven't used one before.
on May 22, 2015
Great tool. There was a little learning curve in setting it up correctly but once I got comfortable with it, things went pretty quick. I sharpen my own chisels and hand planes by hand for woodworking but I never quite got the hang of using a file on a chainsaw chain. This thing got the cutters razor sharp and all of them are the same angle! My saw cuts like a beast now :)
on January 4, 2018
forget those silly files . this sharpener works great and fast without removing it from the saw
on February 14, 2018
I like it better then the $400 sharpener I have
on January 11, 2018
Bought for my husband and he feels this is a great product.
on August 5, 2016
Only have to cut about 3 cord a year but still what a time saver!