Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on March 22, 2012
This Timbuk2 bag is everything that I have been looking for. I wanted a briefcase type bag that would fit a few folders and notepads, my laptop (15 inch MacBook Pro), and my iPad for when I need them both at work. And this does the job.

I will say that if you carry a lot of books and want your laptop and iPad then this Timbuk2 case will be very heavy and it won't work well, but if you, like me, are mostly digital then the few folders that I carry and my electronics fit perfectly.

The front pockets are big and can fit snacks or cords/cables, etc.

I have found the perfect bag for me to carry the "essentials" with me to work and not carry around a dorky looking briefcase or generic laptop bag.
on May 21, 2013
I bought the Timbuk2 messenger bag earlier this year (large) and got the Control today.

I switched most of my traveling gear from the Messenger to the Control. Most everything fits perfectly and is a snug fit with an iPad 3 with case, 15" laptop, some pens, Anker Astro 3E external battery pack, Targus Wireless keypad and one small manilla folder. When I say it's a tight fit, I really mean it.

While there are lots of pockets and storage, be careful what you decide to put in there so you don't max out your depth of bag. When I put in my Logitec bluetooth iPad kepboard, it was bulked out. Trying to put in my Saddleback large wallet? Forgettaboutit.

The construction of the bag is well done, but the top flap hides two large pockets. The first inside zipper compartment is enough for pens, business cards, a couple of thin files while the main computer compartment has two slots, one for the computer and one for an iPad, the third pocket is just big enough for a power brick and cord.

I'm a seasoned traveler with lots of miles on my various bags. I'll say this. If I was off on a one or two day trip, the Control is perfect. While I would like to get an external wireless hard drive, it's not big enough for my 1TB Seagate external drive, with all of the other stuff. If I was on a 3 day or more, I'll fall back on my 17" messenger bag from Timbuk2. It's got enough room for two laptops, iPad, Anker, Seagate drive, mice, and assorted gear with room for a water bottle and snacks.

Bottom line: If you're a light traveler with everything either cloud-based or on your laptop, you're good to go with a Control. If you're a heavy traveler with a mobile office (crazy but true for me), go for the Classic Messenger bag. I am really happy with both purchases, but when it comes down to space, I will have to switch from one to another.
on December 8, 2012
⁃ Shoulder strap is soft (comfy!), but tends to slide off the shoulder when wearing a jacket. Make it grip cloth better. Minus 1 point.

⁃ The messenger-flap buckles are useless at best and a teeth-grinding hassle at worst. If they were reversed so the straps were on the flap gravity would assist their function. If they were eliminated they would be better still. Minus 2 points.

⁃ External compartments are too much of a hassle to use (because of the flap and straps). The 'command' bag is better here because of it's 'Napolean' pockets and water bottle holder (think: wet umbrella). I was tempted to get command but it's flap blocks the main compartment and would drive me bonkers. I have a fragile grip on sanity as it is. Minus another point.

⁃ The bag fits great on my roll-aboard's collapsable handle. (+1) However the slot through which the handles pass has velcro on the bottom (why?) and this means attaching is a two-hand operation. Every time. Over and over. Minus 3 points.

⁃ The laptop storage section is soft and really nice! (plus 10) And unlike other bags (including 'command') the compartment zips from the top, creating extra storage, great! But this leads to two problems: 1) if you utilize this extra space you'll find out at the worst possible time, the TSA's Xray belt, and 2) if you unzip early to prepare for the belt, and are still attached to your roll-aboard, the bag may yawn open and you'll have a "yard sale" right there in the security line. (Minus 5 points, but some of that was my fault too).

⁃ The grey color looks beige / tan under some lighting. Now I look like a slacker, and I've worked hard over the years to get my socks to match. Not what I was expecting. - 1.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. It's light, not too big, not too small, good compartments and pockets, great laptop compartment (fits MacBook pro nicely), and breezes you through security. I'd recommend buying one if my quibbles don't affect your situation.
on January 14, 2012
I purchased this bag a couple of days ago and WOW! The quality is off the charts, the storage is great, and its a stylish bag. It's not your run of the mill, plain black laptop case. It fits my 15.6" Widescreen Laptop like a glove. It has separate storage for my Tablet and power cords. The only downside to this bag is the straps that connect to flap to the two side pouches. They come loose very easily and no matter how much you tighten them down, they still come loose. Not really a big deal as the Velcro keeps the flap closed well. Also, the padding is not really much for the laptop/tablet pouch, again, no big deal unless you plan to throw the bag all over the place. This is a great, high quality bag and worth every penny.
on October 16, 2012
Replaced my timbuk2 medium messenger bag with this one for a few reasons. First, I carry a smaller laptop now, a HP Spectre XT. This bag is smaller, but holds my 13.3 laptop with or without a sleeve. I keep the laptop in the sleeve for extra padding, plus I can just take it out.

In addition, there are seperate compartments for the computer/tablet and for everything else. Plus they open with zippers, rather then having to rip open velcro during a lecture. I can keep slim chargers in the external pouches, which are under a flap secured with metal clips rather then velcro or plastic clips. Reliably holds 2 classes worth of materials. 2 spiral notebooks, a big textbook, several folders. I can carry either my 7 inch or my 10 inch tablet in addition to the laptop.
on October 17, 2015
This was my favorite bag until the zipper broke. Loved the functionality and that it had a lot of versatile storage options. The look is very clean and professional, which is different from most Timbuk2 bags. Going through security with this bag is a breeze. I would recommend not only this bag, but the brand as well. I took the bag in to the Timbuk2 store after the zipper broke, and they allowed me to exchange the bag for another. They didn't have the style I wanted, so I used the value of this bag and applied it to a larger, weekender laptop bag.
on June 17, 2013
I have a 13.3" laptop, and it fits wonderfully in this bag. There's also plenty of room for my Kindle, power cords, and any accessories within the laptop pocket. With a laptop, it is a little snug to fit much else, and as other reviewers have said, there isn't much expansion room in this bag. The ability to unzip it and lay it flat is really nice for travel, although you do have to be careful of what you put in the outside pocket when you do that. I use it daily for work, without my laptop, and I use the laptop pocket for documents and folders, which works out really well. I have a small umbrella, power cords, brush, and some personal items in the front pocket and it's not tight at all. Overall, I'm really happy with this bag, it's a really nice size if you don't want to carry the universe with you, and the shoulder pad on the strap is very nice.
on January 25, 2013
I bought this for my husband for Christmas to replace a similar bag he had gotten as a "giveaway". He likes it. He doesn't have a laptop yet so he's just using it like a briefcase for now but it's great to know it's capable of holding a laptop and that it's TSA approved (no need to remove laptop when going thru security). Seems to be very sturdy, high quality. I hope it lasts a long time. The only potential downside is it's a very casual look so doesn't have the "executive" feel, but I was looking for something that could easily go with us on vacation. Has plenty of pockets and a really nice slim profile, not at all bulky. Great added feature is the sleeve that can slip over a carry-on suitcase handle.
on September 19, 2014
Very good bag looks more professional then a messenger.Holds everything purse items,tablet , files,sack lunch, can hold a water bottle inside the capartment that does not hold the tabelt. I carry only a tabelt and put a spare outfit in the padded area where the laptop should go,when needed. Wish it came in different colors. Over all great bag to have when you need to look more professional. Wish the zippers could lock. Fix the small problems and I would give it 5 stars.
on August 19, 2013
I liked the bag although was surprised just how tight it was. if you put anything into the forward facing pockets under the flap, it pushes back into the central pocket and makes the bag bulge in an unsightly manner. But the internal was quite strong and made it easy to organize all the belongings.

However, the internal seam on one of the pockets tore so I returned it and purchased the larger Command messenger bag. Amazon return was absolutely painless.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.