Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on December 11, 2009
Works really well. Timbuk2 claim this is not a manbag or a handbag, but come on....it is. Having said that I'm a 6 foot chap, built like the proverbial brick wall, so this product helps me feel a little liberated. Why should the ladies in our lives get a bag to carry all their stuff? Don't men need a bag to carry all the junk, sorry, essential things in life? Where are we supposed to put the smartphone, kindle, camera, chocolate, empty beer cans (have you tried to find a bin in london these days?), credit cards and the "if found please return to..." card.

well done timbuk2, great product, but come on, market it as it should be :) It's a man bag!
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2010
3 of 5 stars for the Timbuk2 Kindle Messenger Bag. Reading the description and looking at the product photos on Amazon sold me on his product as a good non-laptop bag. Yeah, I have a laptop and laptop bag for work use (and my Kindle fits nicely into my laptop bag), but, I was looking for a bag for weekend and travel use; combine my Kindle and camera stuff and water bottle and other little things. The Messenger bag has met my expectations. The bag is the perfect size. It has a couple of external pockets including one with for keys which is tied back to the bag. Inside is a big empty area, a small envelope for your Kindle and another envelope area with many small pockets for everything from phone to business cards. I specially like the large empty space to put big things. The interior has waterproof material. The shoulder strap is quickly and easily adjustable from shoulder to hand-bag length.

So, why three stars? There are several design problems to consider before you buy:
1) The envelope for your Kindle nicely holds the 6" Kindle. However, if you Kindle is housed in ANY of the various folders or zipper bags, it will NOT fit into this envelope. ONLY a bare 6" Kindle will fit!
2) The bag claims to be for Kindle or Netbooks, unless your netbook is exactly the same size as a Kindle it ain't going to fit. If your netbook is 1/2" thick, forget it. If you intend to carry a netbook, try the fit before you buy!
3) There are no handles on the top of the bag only the adustable shoulder strap. This makes grabbing the bag and carrying it difficult unless you use the strap. For example, my laptop bag has two small handles on either side of the top plus a shoulder strap.
4) While the materials are waterproof, the way the flap covers the body of the bag, there is a large top gap on either side of the flap. That means if you are out in the rain, rain goes right into the bag via the two gaps on either side of the flap.

So, yes, it is a good bag, not perfect, but good. Most likely I use it for things other than Kindle as my Kindle better fits (with the leather cover) into my laptop bag's outside pocket.
77 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2011
I'm a 31 year old guy who has lots of gadgets. I also like to travel. The problem with having a backpack when you've got lots of gadgets is that they tend to all end up at the bottom of it, meaning that you constantly have to fish that iPod Touch out of the backpack when you want to use it. This can be a major inconvenience when you are trying to get something out of the bag quickly while sitting on an airplane.

I bought this Timbuk2 messenger bag to take on trips with me. It's the perfect size for a guy to carry all of his junk around with him. I carry my cell phone, my iPod Touch, a point and shoot camera, my wallet, my Archos A70 7" internet tablet, my other iPod Touch (that only has music on it), a notepad, a pen, and a pencil in it with plenty of room to spare for other things that you might end up tossing into it as you are out and about.

I bought this version of the bag for the Kindle pocket. The Archos tablet fits perfectly into the pocket so it's protected very well when carrying it. I really liked the color of this bag, and the photos are pretty true to the actual color of the bag.

It seems to be REALLY well made. Seems like it will hold up to quite a beating. All of the features are put together well.

This bag also doesn't look too bad being carried as an everyday bag for a guy. I'm not ashamed to admit that there have been plenty of times when I'm out and about that I wish it weren't so taboo for guys to carry a bag all the time. With this bag, it seems like it's more of a "gear bag" than a "man purse," so I feel less self conscious carrying it for everyday purposes as well as travelling.

The only thing I wish were a bit different was the strap length. I could use an extra few inches to get the bag to where I truly want it to be. In the pictures they show that it's supposed to be cinched tight to the back, but I would rather it hang loosely down near my pants pockets. The strap as it is gets close, but not quite where I want it to be. However, that's a very minor complaint, as I am wanting it to do something that it apparently isn't designed to do.

Overall, I really like this product and I'm glad I purchased it.

***ADDITION FROM 2/20/2011***

I would like to rescind my comment about the bag's strap length. After using the bag for extended periods of time while on a trip to Las Vegas this past week, I believe that the bag is absolutely flawless. I let the strap out as far as it could go and for lengthy walks and long periods of time the bag hung at a perfect spot. It didn't interfere with my movements and basically felt like it wasn't there at all. Perfect.

The bag was a perfect addition to my trip to Vegas. Usually when I'm there I have my gadgets all stuffed into cargo pants. iPod, camera, phone, wallet, sunglasses, and tickets to various shows are all in different pockets, along with any small trinkets or souveniers that I have purchased. Not to mention the receipts for all of the things you end up buying. With this bag, I was easily able to keep all of this junk in one easy to access spot and free up my pockets. Usually when I'm walking around Vegas I feel burdened by all of the stuff in my pockets, but not this time. It was really nice to not have to carry all of the items in my pants, and instead just toss it all into the bag. I kept my phone and my iPod in pockets on the inside of the bag. My camera and sunglasses were just tossed in the bottom of the bag. I was able to keep tickets to shows and coupons for free meals and drinks in one pocket, and then I put receipts for purchases into another.

All of this fit with no issues at all, and in fact I still had room to carry a 20 ounce bottle of water or soda, and a few various odds and ends that I picked up in stores around town all without even thinking about it. I think that at one point I had everything I've listed here along with two brand new t-shirts shoved into the bag and it still had room for some more stuff if I had wanted to put it in there.

I will also say this, it is funny in a place like Vegas. You see lots of guys that have made the jump to using small messenger bags. But then, you see lots of guys walking around that are ALMOST to the point of carrying a small messenger bag. They know that they want a bag to carry some stuff, but they still feel that the messenger bag is too much like a purse so they lug around giant backpacks. I laughed as these guys needed to take a backpack off to get to whatever item that they decided that they needed at the time, and thought to myself how much easier it would be for me to get that item out of my bag. It was at this point that I realized that carrying the bag wasn't "non-manly," or "feminine," it was just plain smart. I was carrying all of the same stuff in a more convenient and stylish bag that was lighter, easier to access, and held just as much stuff.

All in all, I can't recommend this bag enough. I thoroughly enjoyed having it with me for the entire trip and I think it will come in handy for all of my future travels. In fact, I'm seriously considering having it just be my everyday bag...and not just for doing everyday things, like literally carrying it with me pretty much whenever I leave the house. It's too convenient to just leave at home.
on October 4, 2010
I really like this bag. It has lots of organization pockets for keeping small items from getting lost in a pile at the bottom of the bag. It has a suspended sleeve intended for a bare Kindle 2, but my Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation with Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) fits inside (it's a tight fit, but it works). I can also fit my Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally ' Latest Generation (in a separate Timbuk2 Nylon Kindle DX Sleeve (Fits 9.7" Display, Latest and 2nd Generation Kindles) Black/Black/Black) in the bag and still have room for a compact umbrella, a water bottle, and all the stuff I'd normally put in a purse (phone, ipod, wallet, lip balm, sun glasses, etc.). The lining is water proof, but the the top flap leaves a gap on either side, and rain will find a way inside the bag unless you take precautions. I keep a tall stainless steel water bottle on one side of the bag. It pushes the flap sideways so that the protruding bottle keeps rain out of one end and the flap covers the other. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it works for me.

This has all the quality and features you'd expect from Timbuk2, just on a smaller scale. It's a great bag for day trips, or even every day use. I've very happy with my purchase.
on March 4, 2011
I've wanted to get a small size messenger bag for quite a long time. This type of bag has been popular in Japan recently, and I almost bought one like this in Japan. But I'm glad I waited.

This messenger bag has just a perfect size for me. I'm a grad student and use this bag everyday. I usually put my notebook, textbook, a stack of loose-leaf papers, some paper-readings, a couple of pens, a potable umbrella, a pocket Kleenex, two usb flash drives, a usb cable for both iPhone and kindle, a eye-drop and chapstick + of course my Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology! It claims to hold 6-inch display 2nd generation kindle but I was curious if my 3rd generation (still 6-inch display) kindle would fit into this bag. You know what, it fits perfectly into the inner sleeve even with my Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) on it because Amazon has made the latest kindle so small! The pocket gets a little tight but it sill holds your kindle with any kind of covers on it because the Amazon-made leather cover makes your kindle pretty thick and heavy so I bet other covers would work with this bag as well. I have uploaded two images to prove it so make sure to check them out too on the product page.

The product dimensions are 12.8 x 5.1 x 8.6 inches so obviously it is not capable of holding 3 big-thick-heavy textbooks (thank god two out of three of my classes don't require such textbooks); however, with 6 pockets (including the kindle pocket), it still does hold a lot of stuff in its small body. When I don't have to carry this textbook (Introduction to Geographic Information Systems with Data Files CD-ROM), I put above-mentioned items and still have a space for my 11-inch laptop (Acer Aspire TimelineX AS1830T-3721 11.6-Inch Laptop (Black)), its charger and a bluetooth mouse (Dell Premium Bluetooth Wireless 2.0 Travel Mouse PU705). When I do have to carry my textbook, I usually use a separate laptop bag (one very much like Mobile Edge MESSU1-10 11"-11"Inch Ultraportable Neoprene Sleeves for Netbooks (Black)).

The adjustable shoulder strap works fine for me, and I appreciate a protection cover on it so that it doesn't bite into your body.

And I like the design a lot. Mine is black and it really is sleek design in my opinion.

Did I miss anything? If you have questions, feel free to leave comments!
on February 27, 2010
The Kindle Messenger Bag is a perfect companion for the "Kindle and moleskine" crowd - those who need a bag to carry a few things around town or who need a practical man-purse. The pocket dangles in the middle of the bag, attached to the sides, and fits the Kindle very well (note, however, that if you have a cover on your kindle it can be difficult to fit). Inside organizer panel features a couple of iphone-sized slots, a velcro pocket, and a zipper compartment, and the outside front of the bag has a smaller card pocket with a key leash. The strap is permanently sewn to the bag and has the Timbuk2 cam on one end for easy adjustment - seems like overkill in a bag this small. The strap pad is big and stiff - takes up almost half the strap length - but may become more flexible with use. Lots of velcro for flap closure along with plastic buckles keeps the bag nice and closed. Not sure it's worth the sixty-five dollars I paid for it - much more like a forty-dollar item, but if you are looking for a stylish way to carry your kindle and a few other items, this mini-messenger bag is a great way to do it...
on October 21, 2010
Note that this bag is exactly the same and CHEAPER as Timbuk2 Freestyle Laptop Messenger Bag just that the padded sleeve in it is a smaller custom sleeve for kindle, nonetheless it's a perfect fit for my 6" Sony Reader with leather cover.

The fabric, finishing and parts used are of a high quality as what you would expect from Timbuk2 not to mention the godsend individual slots and pouches for neat freaks.

If i had to nit pick on this product it would be of the VERY stiff padding strap but it's nothing you can't fix over time with repeated use.

And one other thing .......even as Timbuk2 denies it....... IT'S A MAN-PURSE! Albeit being a rugged and good looking one.
on February 4, 2010
Timbuk2 Kindle Messenger Bag (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) Blue/Black/Gunmetal

The bag arrived today and i love it. It's not a big or medium bag by any stretch of the imagination but it's not too small either even though its sized at XS. It's great that there's a built in sleeve for my Kindle. Saved me from buying a sleeve, plenty of room for other stuff like USB cable and wall charger and heaps of compartments for keys, wallet and mobile phone or whatever else people carry around with them. I'll be using it to travel to work enough room for my lunch and the usual stuff I carry around. I've also got a OS trip coming up and I think it will be fine for carryon luggage. It will work well for me I'm sure.

Oh and I love the color's except the cream inner liner I was expecting red or blue or gunmetal grey something more to match the bag.
on October 28, 2010
I've had this for a few weeks now, and I love it! I read in reviews that some were dis-satisfied with not getting a kindle in the pocket with a skin outside. I don't get why anyone would feel the need, the pocket is by far enough in my opinion. It also has a mobile pocket that fits my HTC smartphone, a lanyard for my keys, and large room for "everything else". In the lanyard-pocket I can even put my travelcard for public transport, and have it conveniently close!

I'm 5'5" and the sling fits me just fine.
on December 29, 2010
This bag is great for the Kindle 3. I even have a plastic cover for my Kindle and it fits in the little pocket perfectly. I use it exclusively for my purse also, it has plenty of room for everything you need. The Kindle pocket is suspended inside by elastic so it doesn't bounce around too much, and it's protected from liquids or dust when you seal the velcro. The only thing I would like to change on it is to have the shoulder strap a little longer or have it to be more adjustable. I think I can fix it for my own use by adding a longer strap. But overall I love it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.