Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Time to move on or is there some life left?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 11:14:25 PM PDT
maskedgamer says:
I have to admit I've always had a love hate relationship with warcraft. I enjoyed playing it and bonding with other players making guilds and watching them grow but with every expansion I just got so tired of resetting back to zero. My guild got tired of it too as I noticed more people dropping out the game left and right to try other games or whatever. Some people still stay and play from time to time but a majority of the folks never came back to the game.

The burning crusade was my favorite wow expansion and I loved it but everything else after that didn't seem to have the same touch. After Lichking I was tired of all the games class changes and nonsense and Cataclysm was literally a disaster so I skipped it even though I own it. I just lost interests.

I know times in WoW will never be like TBC again with people everywhere just enjoying the game and most every zone plentiful with players on an average day. But... is Pandaland good enough to bring back that same vibe to WoW?

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 9:11:01 AM PDT
SweetDaddy says:
You never know till you give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 9:36:19 AM PDT
J. K. Paasch says:
You sound burned out on WoW. You're probably better off skipping this one for the time being. Wait and see and read the reviews a month or so down the road and see if what you're reading piques your interest.

There's enough here to entice me into purchasing MoP, and I've been out of WoW for over a year now. Have to admit though that some of the player reviews of the Battle for Theramore (scenario/instance) that was just released don't have me feeling confident about the direction of the game...

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:17:48 AM PDT
Brad Smith says:
I'm going to second J.K. here. Check it out when you get a chance, but you may just be overall burnt out on it.

Personally, I haven't stopped having fun with it, which is why I'm still subscribed. If it weren't fun, I wouldn't play, and I do take breaks. Though I should actually get the download for Mists soon...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:44:32 PM PDT
The scenario was just a trial of the scenario system that is coming up. People expected it to be a grand pre-expansion event, so they were disappointed.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:13:57 PM PDT
If you're doubting that MoP will magically correct that went wrong in Cata, you're correct.

There's little in MoP that changes the Cata formula of generic builts and even more streamlining of talents and class features. Yes, the talents become more passive now, but they botched on things like Holy paladins don't have an AoE until level 90. So for 5 levels when there's 20 billion mobs (let alone world PvP [not allowed to fly in the zone until level 90]) and when an AoE is most needed it's not available. Blizzard's excuse? They question why leveling as an healer. -_- They didn't bother to understand if you heal in both PvE and PvP both specs are used and that player is forced to level as a healer. Then there's an issue of bag space, because if you PvE and PvP 2 specs = 4 sets of gear. And since PvP is situational at least one set of PvP gear must be carried in these small bags (even smaller if you tradeskill). So playing PvE and PvP it means it's easier to just have 2 healing specs to save having to carry extra PvP gear.

Despite for years of asking for a gear locker, there's no sign in MoP it's coming, either.

There's some positive things in MoP (like AoE mob looting which was much needed, since mobs that fall down in a crowd of bodies often the bottom body couldn't be looted if the beasties was huge); new dungeon challenges; and the ender of ninjas stealing gear -- in at least for now LFR -- with a loot bag for gear.

But in the end WoW has started to decline in keeping power, and I'm passing for this expansion after playing constantly for years. It's time to move on as the storyline is even more disjointed (yet another corrupted leader to kill, and again Alliance is babysitting Horde in the process); CRZ that makes zones too crowded (beginning of the game everyday, so harvesting will be horrible, let alone waiting on even quest respawns); the new auction house that can sell even the rarest mounts; and pet battles that remove the hero itself from the story (my pet is a pet, he's not the hero). Not wanting to go through another getting all geared out to only have quest greens replacing them in but two levels, that rollercoaster has gotten old two years ago.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:23:29 AM PDT
Brad Smith says:
I'm pretty sure that holy paladins don't actually need to do AoE damage. Not only is that not their schtick, but trying to aoe quest mobs down as a paladin is a horrible mistake.

Why?

First, AoE damage is significantly less than single-target damage. As an example, check out the damage on Crusader Strike (which is like 120% weapon damage) as compared to Hammer of the Righteous (which is like 15% base weapon damage). Even with the spells scaling differently, you'll drop most mobs faster with Crusader Strike than you will with grinding them down with Hammer.

Second, grinding things down at the same time keeps incoming damage the same throughout the combat. Mob health doesn't reduce effectiveness until they're dead, and if they run, they can bring things back to you. Killing one mob at a time redues the incoming damage by one mob/kill.

Third, it's not like other healers have real useful AoEs. Priests have Holy Nova, and that's about it that I'm aware of (not sure if Mind Sear is limited to Shadow or not). Shamans have Chain Lightning, but that's more like a cleave, I'm pretty sure that Earthquake is Elemental-only. I don't think Resto druids get Hurricane.

Really, the best thing to do if you're leveling as holy is to either (a) denounce and holy shock things to death (and denounce hits pretty hard, so you'll have a better time leveling than I did in TBC doing Isle of Quel'danas in holy gear) or (b) level in dungeons where you have people to stand in between you and the mobs.

I'd also question the wisdom of trying to keep up four complete sets of Ret and Holy PVE & PVP gear, especially while leveling, especially while out questing. But I doubt you'd accept my argument that your "gear locker" is the bank.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:48:43 AM PDT
Rockhardly says:
The other items you mentioned are the pretty standard "don't like the the direction, want to keep playing the way I always have" - which is understandable, but is more subjective than anything else.

But something else stuck out to me: What is the "gear locker" you're talking about?

I haven't used it yet, but it sounds like the "void storage" that has been in the game for a few weeks would accomplish the problem with space.

I'm not sure how pet battles remove the hero from the story - but, then again, I haven't had any pet battles yet (I am excited that my Diablo from back in the day is capable of fighting, though).

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 5:39:04 AM PDT
Rest assured. The pet battle system is great. Clearly pokemon, but great all the same.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:54:22 AM PDT
Rockhardly says:
Had about an hour or so to play last night, and I was impressed.

I have to admit that I didn't like the beta very much - I only played for a day or two - but logging in last night, the game had that hook again. Servers were packed (queue times again - yay) - and the areas I was in (Org and the panda start area) were full of people.

It felt a bit like the original launch and the Lich King launch to me (I felt like the Burning Crusade launch was kind of 'meh').

So - I came to this exp pack with a bit of a "oh well, here we go again" mentality - but I have found myself getting excited about it after playing. The buzz from the people playing it last night was about as positive as I've seen since the original launch as well.

Blizz has done something right with this exp pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:32:57 AM PDT
Steven says:
Yeah... I have made fun of Pokemon endlessly since they announced it, but I got sidetracked for a couple hours with it lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:37:13 AM PDT
Steven says:
This. I played the beta for all of maybe 8 hrs and was sure I was done with WoW (back when the beta first opened). However, they fixed majority of the things I didn't like about the early beta. I was playing last night and was actually enjoying my time (Monk is awesome btw) rather than feeling like I was working.

The only complaint I have is the respawn rate of the mobs in the 85 areas, I kill 3 (very fast on my DK) and they respawn immediately (more or less) and I have to fight them over. Not a problem when I am trying to kill them for quest requirements, but when I need to kill 8 for a quest and end up having to kill 40 just to go turn in the quest, it gets annoying, but that is the only complaint I have so far. I also understand if they didn't respawn that fast, that everyone would be complaining that the monsters aren't there for them to kill for the quest.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 9:25:24 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
Ehh, I wasn't too interested in that part of the game... so I skipped it. And played the other parts.

I guess that's not a reasonable reaction, though... apparently I was supposed to go "OMG BLIZZ HATES REAL GAMERS WOWS 4 KIDS NOW AND SUX N YOU SUK 4 LIKIN IT."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 9:55:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 9:56:22 AM PDT
J. K. Paasch says:
This happens in the new starting zone as well. You can get pinned in a small section of the map by respawning mobs in some locations.

I seem to recall happening right after release on previous xpacs and that eventually it gets leveled out after the game has been out for a bit. Like you said, the alternative of fighting over slower/limited respawns is much worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 10:09:04 AM PDT
Steven says:
The only area I had an issue in the new starting zone was the farm with the rabbit creatures, they were spawning everywhere. In the forest area there were too many running around (I got in a fight with 1 and by the end of the fight I had taken out about 6 as they all ran in), but they didn't spawn that fast after they died.

As for previous xpacs, the only one I played on launch was Cata (waited for things to settle down for WotLK) and I don't know how Hyjal was, but Vashj'ir was fine, no increased spawn rate that I can remember. Like you said though, it will level out over time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:33:30 PM PDT
It shows that you don't PvP -- PvP gear doesn't sit in the bank, because PvP is dynamic.

Secondly, and AoE helps to keep them on you and while ticking damage off. As a Holy that's 500+ damage to the mob per tick, when our weapons only do 500-1,200 damage as it is (all our abilities scale to spell damage, including AoEs -- it doesn't with weapons. Clubbing a mob with 300-500 hits is v-e-r-y counterproductive). Crusader Strike is a single target spell, and 20% extra damage is nothing with a stat stick.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 6:39:26 AM PDT
Steven says:
"It shows that you don't PvP -- PvP gear doesn't sit in the bank, because PvP is dynamic."

I do pvp.... extensively, yet when I am questing, my gear is in the bank because I don't need it. How does anything that has been said "show that" someone doesn't pvp? Perhaps you are on a PvP server and therefore get caught fighting out in the wild, but not everyone is.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 10:59:40 AM PDT
kpsting says:
Time to move on.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:06:40 AM PDT
Brad Smith says:
@SandyK: You only need PVP gear if you're on a PVP server. If you aren't, then you don't need it, since you can always go back to town to queue up. And if you are on a PVP server, wear your PVP gear while questing. That'll do the job just fine.

See? Simple.

You're also clearly misunderstanding me; I compared Crusader Strike, a single-target spell, with Hammer of the Righteous. Both of these are used by Retribution and Protection. You *could* use Crusader Strike as Holy, but as (again) I pointed out, Denounce and Holy Shock hit harder for that spec.

And if you tag a mob, you get credit for it. So, tab-target.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:09:38 AM PDT
Brad Smith says:
My primary complaint so far is that there are just *so many* cooking materials with this expansion. I'm reluctant to vendor them, so they're clogging up my bags. A cooking bag would be nice, actually.

My secondary complaint is that there are also so many little toys from each zone, like the Puntable Marmot, which is far too fun to delete, but I need bag space.

Otherwise, I'm having a great time.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:28:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 7:35:03 AM PDT
N. Berryman says:
Skipping over the responses to just respond to the OP but I will say this:

Personally, I thought I would LOVE cata and ended up hating almost every moment about it.
I thought I would HATE pandaria and I have loved every second of it so far.

And to you saying you miss people out in the world, the cross-realm zones have totally fixed that problem. Leveling a monk in blastedlands, somewhere you could sit for weeks before and never see a player of either faction, I was assaulted by both for 3 hours last night. Friendly players helping you out and people of the opposing faction fighting you. I have never seen so many people out in the world! World PVP, which was my favorite thing to do, is back. You should see the ground outside the dark portal on Scilla (a low-medium pop server) last night thanks to the cross-realm zones. Littered in bones! Some people are saying bad things about CRZ and I just cant understand why. Maybe these are the people who picked a pvp realm and shouldnt have? To me it was soul-drainingly BORING to sit in SW or Org all day and not even have any interaction with even the people on your own server. Gone were the days of raids on crossroads or sentinel hill because even if you got a group and went there... no one showed up or cared to defend it. They would sit in their cities and drink some iced teas, idk what they were doing. Now it feels like a world with people in it again I would literally keep my sub JUST for the fact that people are out in the world again. (And this is someone who wasnt even going to buy pandaria and let their AP expire and quit the game next month!)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 8:28:36 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
A cooking bag _would_ be an excellent addition.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 10:19:13 AM PST
Move on! It was the best choice I ever made. Now I do miss the people I spent years playing a game with but I only knew them in WoW. All WoW is is a single player game now. It is no longer the great MMORPG it once was.

I say this to all. Get out while you still can!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - PC/Mac
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars (709)