• IMPORTANT NOTICE: This high-definition disc will only play in an HD DVD player. It will not play in a standard-definition DVD player, Blu-ray player, or PS3.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
And there's this one. It's not (just) a Van Damme vehicle, though it works well enough for fans of the Muscles from Brussels. It's also a fairly well constructed and enjoyable SF movie.
SF readers be warned: it does _not_ have the logical tightness of Robert A. Heinlein's early time-travel stories ('By His Bootstraps', 'All You Zombies'), or even of the first _Terminator_ film. But as Heinlein found in later life, an unalterable past/future just doesn't make for very exciting drama. (As of _The Cat Who Walks Through Walls_, RAH was officially allowing the past, and therefore the future, to be changed.)
For this film, director Peter Hyams and screenwriters Mark Verheiden and Mark Richardson (also the writers of the Dark Horse comic on which the film is based) borrow liberally but loosely from Poul Anderson's Time Patrol stories. Since (according to this scheme) a physically feasible means of time travel not only exists but can be used to change the past, there will be all sorts of baddies around who will try to adjust things to their own advantage. So there will have to be some time-travel cops who intervene to preserve the 'real' timestream.
Van Damme is one such cop. And in this film he's pitted against Ron Silver, well cast as a crooked politician who wants to rearrange things so that he becomes dictator of America.Read more ›
Jean-Claude Van Damme stars as a time-traveling law enforcement officer whose mission is to prevent and/or apprehend anybody from traveling back in time for their own personal gains. You know that as soon as humans invent Time-Travel someone will be abusing the invention.
Highly recommended for fans of Jean-Claude Van Damme and the book The Time Machine (Signet Classics)
Gunner March, 2008
1) Who is he? Max Walker, a law enforcement officer for a government organization that regulates and monitors time travel. He protects the past from those who would take advantage of the technology, like Biff and Skynet.
2) Which family member/friend must be avenged? Unfortunately for JCVD, and 80s movie fans everywhere, he must avenge his lovely wife who learns that nothing is unblowupable.
3) Does he take his shirt off? Only once, and he's shredded.
4) Does he have sex with a C-List actress? This is the pinnacle of JCVD's legendary black book. He bags Mia Sara, the same gorgeous young lady who played Sloane Peterson from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
5) Is there a tournament? There is no tournament, just a race to fight crime.
6) Is training needed for this tournament? One does not simply travel into the past without training, or a Delorean.
7) Does he do the splits in training or in the tournament? He CONSTANTLY does the splits. In the kitchen; in the living room.
8) Does he punch someone in the balls? First JCVD beatdown of the movie = stick to the junk
9) Does he do a series of flying or 360 kicks? Oh hell yes. This is classic Van Damme.
10) Is his enemy unbeatable? He's fighting time travel, government corruption, and futuristic weapons...that's about as close as you get to unbeatable.
11) Does he overcome an injury or other hindrance? I've never been shot while wearing a bullet proof vest, but it looks like it would hurt like hell. JCVD shook it off like a champ.
12) Does he win? No, and then yes, and then no again, and eventually yes. Awesome.Read more ›
The HD has a good picture, definitely a major improvement over the old standard edition DVD. The old DVD was pan and scan, the HD version is 2.35:1 1080p. The sound is much better as well.
If you've seen it before and liked it, I recommend picking it up. The price is good as well - I expect with the format war nearly over that more HD DVD prices will drop, allowing those of us who took the plunge to at least score some discs on closeout.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great ideas at play. Special effects surprisingly spectacular, machinery-smooth. As something of a time travel fan, I finally had to see this one, after the many years since it... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Pen Scepter
Great movie. You can kinda tell how many times he goes back in time (or is it forward?). He meets his wife over and over no matter which him he actually is. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Stephen G.
I ordered this for my Mom's belated birthday present and it was just what she wanted. Thank you for the great customer service.Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
great time travel movie.the ending was a surprise as bad guy gets his.Published 4 months ago by Garry J. Bourgeois
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > HD DVD
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > HD DVDs
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy