Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 13, 2012
***ARC provided by Egmont USA for review***
*Spoilers from Hourglass*

"The present. Right now. The exact spot where the hourglass filters the sand from the future to the past. That's where we have to live. Before all the sand runs out, or before somebody shakes it all up again."

When Emerson went back in time (a second time) to save Michael's life, they were warned that there would be consequences. Now the rips are getting stronger and instead of one or two people appearing from the past, entire scenes from the past are appearing confusing Emerson and her friends and making hard to distinguish the past from the present.

Although Hourglass was mostly about Emerson and Michael, they always seemed a little bit blah for me. Instead I was instantly won over by Kaleb and he became my favorite character from the book. You can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I started reading Timepiece and discovered that the story is now being told from Kaleb's POV. If I would have known, I would have read this book months ago! It's no secret that I love reading from male character's POV's and Timepiece was no exception. Kaleb is such a complex yet simple character. He's struggling with his guilt over his mother's coma, his father's death (and return) and the complicated relationship he has with him, his friendship and jealousy over Michael and his attraction to Emerson. To make matters worse, Kaleb is an empath which means that not only does he have to struggle with his own emotions; he also has to deal with the emotions of those around him. Yet, despite all of that, all Kaleb wants is to be able to protect the people he cares about. When they are issued an ultimatum to find Jack Landers or else their timelines could be altered, they seek the help of Emerson's best friend Lily who has "powers" like the rest of them. Kaleb and Lily keep butting heads but the more time they spend together, their attraction grows stronger.

When I first found out that Timepiece was Kaleb's story, I was a little worried about the outcome. What would happen between Emerson and Michael? And Emerson and Kaleb? Luckily, I had nothing to worry about because Myra McEntire gives us a completely unexpected but oh-so-good story that was even better than the first book! This series is one of the most unique storylines I have ever read with some of the most amazing book covers EVER! Maybe that's why I didn't know Timepiece would be told by Kaleb, I was too distracted by that creepy yet stunningly beautiful cover. Kale was such a great character, he was funny, sweet sarcastic and just a little bit tortured. Lily was tough, sassy and was the perfect girl for Kaleb because she wasn't afraid to put him in his place when he was being a jerk. The chemistry between them was great when there were fighting and when they...weren't.

Timepiece is a high-stakes and action packed story full of mystery, suspense and a good mix of romance and plenty of humor. The ending doesn't have a huge cliffhanger but it does give a hint as to where the story might go next. Not only am I excited to find out what the next book, Infinityglass will be about but I am also very curious as to who will narrate it. Will it go back to Emerson's POV, stay with Kaleb? Or maybe it will go to someone new like Michael or Lily? I also can't wait to see what beautiful cover the next book will have! If you were a fan of Hourglass, then Timepice is a must-read! To all you Michael fans: don't worry because he still comes out a lot in this book but be ready to make a little extra room in your heart for Kaleb.

P.S. Anyone else had the urge to watch Back to the Future after reading this book?

4.5 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes from Timepiece:
-"The space time continuum is compromised."
"Thanks." My muscles tensed, too. "I'll alert Doctor Who."

-I cupped her face in my hands, knowing she wasn't mine to touch, but unable to stop.

-"Hot Tamales. Atomic Fireballs. Sizzling Cinnamon Jelly Bellys. Red Hots. I'm surprised you have any taste buds left. Or teeth."
"Do I make the obvious hot-stuff joke here, or refrain?"
"Refrain."

-"What kind of a man would I be, exactly?"
"A temptation." She threw her cup at the trash can, sinking and impressive three pointer.
"Like the snake in the Garden of Eden?"
"No. More like the apple."
"The apple?" I asked.
"Yeah. I'm pretty sure Eve never considered taking a bite out of the snake."

-"You're also as big as a house, tattooed, and pierced. And wearing a black leather jacket."
"Oh yeah." I'm a bad ass. A bad ass who bakes when he's depressed.

-"Have you ever heard of horology?"
Nate giggled. "I'm sorry. It sounds dirty. I'm not going to say anything else today. Swear."
***
Check out my YA book blog to read my reviews and author interviews:
Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed
3 people found this helpful
on June 27, 2012
I read Hourglass, the predecessor to Timepiece, and loved it. I knew the point of view was going to change from Emerson to Kaleb in Timepiece, and I wasn't so sure how I felt about the switch. I kept an open mind as I read Timepiece. I didn't love Timepiece; I LOVED it! It was an incredibly entertaining read!

I love the witty banter between Kaleb and Lily. I am not much of a laugh out loud person and I actually laughed out loud numerous times while reading this book! The more I read, the more I wished that I actually knew Myra McEntire and could have her witty banter in my life. Kaleb is so real, so like a normal dude that you can't help but love him and want things to work out for him. The switch to Kaleb's point of view was actually a brilliant move. Now the readers know what everyone is feeling - not just what they are saying. I was attached to Emerson, but through Kaleb, she was still coming through loud and clear.

It wasn't just the characters that made me adore Timepiece. The plot just keeps coming at you. So much so that I had a hard time putting the book down in order to tend to my children. I literally walked from room to room with my head in the book. Just when I thought I could take a break, something else would happen and I would have to keep reading to find out the results. The timing of the book is fantastic!

This will be a book that I will read over and over again! I eagerly await the third installment to the series!
on July 5, 2012
Timepiece: An Hourglass Novel

I bought Hourlass for the Kindle back at the end of May when it was only $1.99--super bargain!!! I don't know what took me so long to read it! (shame on me) I started it at the beginning of June and had to put it aside to read and review some books for the blog. I picked it back up again last week and had it finished within 3 days. I put in a request for Timepiece through the library, but I knew there was no way I could wait THAT long to read it, since I was 80th on the list. So I bought Timepiece for the Kindle and I am so very glad that I did!!!

I finished Timepiece in 3 days!!! I absolutely loved this book!! I also love it when I have a book that I can read using the Kindle app on my phone--I have a really hard time putting my phone down when I come across a book like this one. At first I was a little confused because I didn't read the summary so I was anticipating Em's "voice" again. It seemed a little out of place to say that she was drunk...and dressed as a pirate. Er?! There were a few other times when I was reading that I forgot this story was from Kaleb's point of view, and I had to backtrack a page or two so that I could figure out what I had missed.

I really enjoyed Hourglass and Timepiece! The characters are fun, quirky, hilarious, and I would love to hang out with them...what great friends this group would make, huh!? Emerson (love the name) and Michael's relationship grew in this one and I was happy to see that. It was also great to learn more about Emerson's past, and about Kaleb's past, too. I felt bad for Kaleb for a while because I knew how he "thought" he felt about Emerson...but I'm happy that he was able to find some one that fit his personality best.

I don't want to get into too much because you have to read these books, but I will say that there are twists and turns, jaw-dropping moments, some romance, lots of humor, some violence, loads of suspense, and well, you just need to run out and pick this book up to find out all the other good things in store for you...or buy it for your Kindle and read it right away (like I did)!!! I can't wait for the next one!!!!!
on December 6, 2012
I really enjoyed Mira's first book in the series, Hourglass, but the second installment of Timepiece is even better. Kaleb is the little boy lost that you can't help but root for. He struggles so much to find his place in this world he was born into. It is a great journey as he grows into his roll as an important member of Hourglass, and how he allows himself to grow as a man. The best is how Mira allows the essence of him to remain the same as our first introduction, but allows him also to evolve, as we all do with age and experience.
on February 11, 2013
As stated, I bought this book for my wife. She reads and re-reads this author. If she starts, I will not hear from her, nor get anything productive from her, for several more hours. And I can expect to find fresh kleenex in the trash... yet she keeps reading them.

She notes a particular appreciation for their building of relationships between characters without the typical "romance novels" overt sexuality and unnecessary trashy language.
on August 29, 2013
This one was from a guy's point of view which was very different from the last book, but Kaleb is so sweet and sooooo broken that you just have to love him and his naughty self. It was hard to get used to his mind in the gutter at first too but it did make me laugh and in the end he fell in love and he straighten up quite a bit and became worthy of the girl he fell for. Great book and highly recommended!
on February 22, 2018
As usual, a good read
on February 11, 2013
You get Kaleb's point of view in this remarkable sequel to Hourglass, and trust me...you WANT Kaleb's POV. He has issues, just like Emerson, but they're different and he handles his problems differently (occasionally by baking...so cute). He's sarcastic, sweet, and never misses the opportunity for a 'that's what she said joke'...much like his creator, come to think of it :) This is a must read. Myra is a genius and if you haven't read Hourglass yet, I don't know what you've been doing with your life.
on April 23, 2013
I love Richard Paul Evans' writing style. I loved this book so much, I ordered another one for my cousin - who is a watch and clock maker! You wouldn't think that a book about Timepieces would bring a tear, but Mr. Evans is the master of making sure you have a Kleenix when you read any of his books. One page or another, he'll get ya!
on January 12, 2017