Customer Reviews: Timex Men's EXPEDITION E-Instruments Tide, Temp & Compass Watch #T45581
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on December 30, 2007
This watch looks really nice and the functions work well. The compass is very accurate and easy to read. Much nicer than the HighGear digital that I also have. The temp readings are 'accurate' except that it is the temp on your arm. You need to subtract 10 to 15 deg. to get the real temp or take the watch off for at least 5 minutes.

The tide clock was a bit of a disappointment to me. It is accurate but tides are affected by the sun, coastline, rivers and other geographic conditions so you get an 'estimation' of the high and low at best. Still, it is not the watches fault - I did not understand tides that well until I tried to figure out why the watch was 'wrong'. In the Everett, WA area, the tides are not the standard 6 hours and 25 min. so you have to check a local tide chart and not just rely on the watch.

The biggest downside of this watch is the night visibility. Unlike other Indiglo watches, where the entire face lights up like a flashlight, this watch only has a small band of Indiglo. It is actually harder to see the hands with the Indiglo on. The temp/tide/compass hand is totally invisible at night. The hour and minute hands are almost exactly the same length so it is also hard to tell which is which. You really have to shine a light on it to see anything.

Other than that, it is a great watch for the $. Much cheaper than some others and the analog face is much nicer than a digital watch. I'd still buy it but maybe would go for the white face model instead.
on July 21, 2007
I'm very glad with this watch.

Pros: all, This watch is accurate, user friendly, and appealing to the eye. I need to add that the Indiglo lights up the black face very well, making it easy to tell the time. In fact, you can see all of the dials, which is incredible.

Advice:Read carefully the instructions before you begin playing with the watch functions, you will think the watch is defective. The watch requires some simple to perform calibrations for the compass dials to function properly.
on January 4, 2008
I love this watch. The Indiglo is dark, but if you notice it generates a glow from the hands and dial indicators, which you can then use to read most functions. Compass is fun and works well. Tide clock is good once you calibrate it, but you will have to reset it periodically, depending on your location, which is expected and doesn't hurt its purpose, which is to give you an indication of the tide state and direction. Thermometer gives you an average of wrist temp and room/outside temp, but as it says in the instructions if you want the real temp remove the watch for a few minutes. A bonus is that the watch can be used to get water temperature. I never write reviews, but this is just an excellent value and a fun toy for us guys.
on September 20, 2007
It's a great watch. Comfortable and attractive.

Pros: Great Tide Clock, Solid feel and soft band. Easy to set, easy to read.

Cons: It's a big watch.. measure first. Compass is finicky but accurate as long as you configure it away from cars and electronics, indiglo is a little dark, but readable.
When I opened up the Expedition I was pleased that its rugged looks in person matched the photo. Often the real thing looks small or mediocre after being razzle-dazzled by a close-up photo, but such was not the case. I love the rubber strap. The big face looks upscale without being tacky or gaudy. Most watches are only 1 and a half inches. The quarter inch gives the watch a more masculine look.The temp feature is nice. I can't say I'll be using the tide and compass function but they give the watch a Jack Bauer Save the World quality. The watch is easy to use. It has a two-year battery. I know Timex has a 7-year battery line but the Expedition, my favorite looking Timex watch, is not as of yet part of that series.
on September 30, 2007
Watch looks for sure. Definitely a little bulkier than most though, but that's part of what makes the watch look interesting. I got it to tell time only, so I don't really mind the fact that the temperature doesn't seem to be accurate unless you take it off your wrist and let it sit somewhere for five minutes. I'm sure the compass and tide indicator work fine, but if you want accurate readings, there are probably better things out there. Overall a satisfactory product. I've already done things with it that have broken $500 watches in the past. Timex are practically indestructible and come at a fairly inexpensive price.
on August 11, 2007
So far so good. No problems with ordering or delivery. The watch is good looking and was quite easy to learn and to calibrate. The timex web site is helpful for this. The numbers on the face are in small type, so you should have good eyes to use this watch. The temp feature works well but you need to remove the watch from your arm, or your body heat throws off the readings. Compass works well. Tide feature is great when on the ocean, really helpful. I have the silicone strap and think I would prefer a light weight metal strap with a quick release and better air circulation under the strap.
on March 28, 2010
You love watches but you love good value for the money even more. There's something about this offering from Timex that makes you WANT the watch to be great. Its large face, comfortable wrist strap, and interesting array of functions (compass, temperature gauge, tide clock, etc.) and competitive pricing make it seem a great value. However, after purchasing this watch from a reputable, national chain outdoor store, I had barely worn the watch for an hour when I regretted my decision. The fatal flaw for this particular watch turned out to be a lack of structural interity among one of the three oversized operating buttons positioned from one to four o'clock along the side of the watch casing. Mind you, this flaw was not revealed to me while engaged in some arduous activity such as rock climbing or wrestling an alligator. Instead, I merely reached into a suitcase to pack for a trip and the crown snagged on an article of clothing. I then heard the proverbial "sproing!" as it parted from the watch and went flying across the room. The crown, positioned in the middle of the three operating buttons, controls the basic settings of the watch. Because there was no field fix for such a structure failure, I had to take the watch back for a full refund. Pretty disappointing experience.
on October 5, 2007
This Timex was clearly built with quality in mind. It looks and feels sturdy and yet it feels really comfortable on my wrist. It's light weight and the wrist band is super flexible. I love the features, especially the compass, although using it anywhere near certain electronics will throw it off. Looks better in person than the picture.
on October 5, 2008
Great watch with nice style...

(+) Style - if you like big watches.
(+) Cool functions - Tides, Temperature, and Compass
(+) Price - has the look of a much more expensive watch.

(-) A bit heavy, but not too bad and I easily got used to it.
(-) Need to be away from buildings and car for the compass to be most accurate.

Overall: This watch delivered everything I was expecting... I primarily got it for the style, but I use the tide tracker for kayaking and the temperature feature is pretty neat, but not really useful unless you take the watch off and let is sit to return to ambient. I am very pleased with my choice.

Processing and delivery was done in a timely manner. I didn't pay extra for express delivery and got the watch in about 4 business days from the opposite coast.