Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Kids T89022 Time Teacher Purple/Pink Flowers Resin Watch Elastic Fabric Strap
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Color: Purple Floral|Change

on August 23, 2009
I have been looking for a "time teaching" watch for some time now. I like this watch for the following reasons:

1) The elastic band makes it easy on and off, but not so much that it will slide off by itself.
2) Hour hand is green and points to the green hour numbers
3) Minute hand is purple and points to the purple minute numbers
4) Has an actual second hand, although it does have a flower that sweeps along with it (I saw some that JUST had the sweeping flower/butterfly/etc. but wanted an actual hand.)
5) I like that the face is divided into "past" and "to", BUT (here's my only complaint)...

I would prefer the minutes to continue counting by 5s all the way up to 55, instead of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5. I understand the logic (being able to read "25 minutes to" the next hour) but still think it should have "35" instead. I prefer to teach my child to count BACK in five minute increments if I want her to read it that way. Let's face it, will children ever see a clock that has "25" where the "35" should be?

I wish I had paid attention on the ZOOM feature so I would have noticed the numbers printed on the face for the minutes. Check out the ZOOM for yourself and see if this is what you are looking for. If it is, then this is a great watch for you!

For me, it's ALMOST the perfect watch...
66 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2003
Hi, I will recommend this timepiece to any child....It's easy to read because a child will easily read the time correctly with all the instructions on the face of the watch. My young daughter loves it. Unfortunately, one was taken from her without her knowing, so here I am buying another. It is REALLY a time teacher!!!
It's also durable and attractive to look at which are pluses...
When the band is dirty, just remove it and wash - it looks as good as new!
on December 29, 2011
1. I am going to state the pros and cons of this according to my eight year old daughter.
PROS
2. The design is pretty.
3. It glows in the dark.
4. It makes telling, and learning how to tell time, time easy.
5. It comes on and off pretty easy.
6. It is lightweight.

CONS
1. The band is not water resistant and so the watch has to be removed too often. (It usually gets a little when she washes her hands.) Then there is a long period of waiting for the band to dry out when she can't use the watch. The alternative is to remove the watch whenever there is a chance that it will get wet some how and that can be time consuming and runs the risk of her losing it if she places it somewhere at school, in a public bathroom etc...
2. The material of the wrist band itches her skin around her wrists if she wears it even slightly damp.
on January 24, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this watch. But considering I have been unimpressed with Amazon's selection in watches (and shoes) lately, we decided to keep this. Here's a breakdown of what I like and don't like about it.

Pros:
1. Stretchy band makes it super easy for her to put on and take off herself (this may also be a con when she takes it off constantly and loses it, but we've not reached that stage yet).
2. Cute colors
3. It says the dial window material type is mineral, which is apparently a kind of glass. I think it will hold up a bit better against scratches compared to watches whose window is made of plastic/acrylic.
4. Price was good at around $15.
5. She loves the Indiglo feature.
6. If it works, the water resistance is a great feature. We haven't had to try it out yet. Some reviewers say that it isn't water resistant and get cloudiness in the watch face.

Cons:
1. My biggest pet peeve by far is that the writing on this face is miniscule. I don't know why more people don't mention it, but it's so tiny that you seriously aren't getting any kind of time teacher. The point of a time teacher is to notate counting up by five outside each of the larger numerals. These are so unbelievably tiny, it really is useless. I've attached a picture with this review, and you can see the pink side of the watch is even harder to read because of the lack of contrast with the tiny numbers. The words "hour" and "minute" on the hands are also small, although they are larger than the minute numerals.
2. I thought the "to" and "past" would be useful, but it turns out it just makes it more confusing for my five year old.
3. The ballerina slippers are a little occlusive when you're already having a hard time navigating through tiny numerals and words all over the watch face.
4. The band is way too large for her, even though I've adjusted it up so much that the excess goes past the back of the dial face and hangs out of the side. I don't want to cut it because other reviewers have reported serious fraying after this so we'll just keep it for now.
5. This came with the watch already set and running, which I didn't like because who knows how long the battery has been in use. A lot of reviewers reported batteries dying quickly so I hope that I don't have to immediately go out and buy one for this.
6. This isn't as big of a deal because of the illegible minute numbers on the outside, but I didn't notice when I bought it that the pink and purple sides of the circle don't go up all the way to 60. It goes from 5 to 30 and then back down to 5. I know they did that in order to utilize those "to" and "past" notes, but I think it makes it harder for a young child to understand. Once they master "10:45", then they can learn "fifteen till 11".

That last complaint was something I overlooked on the picture, and like I said, the minutes are so miniscule I guess it doesn't matter. She already has it though and doesn't want anything without the glow in the dark feature so I guess we're stuck with Timex on this one. I would be so much happier with it if it was easier to read.
review image
on January 12, 2004
This made a GREAT gift for a 6 year old. It is colorful (flowery)and stylish (purple and pink are her fav colors). She was quite excited and didn't want to take it off for night. By the end of the first day, she was telling correct time. It is simple to explain! I'd highly recommend this for any young elementary age female child.
on June 3, 2011
I bought two of this style watch, one Castles [...] and one Ballerina. Both products are excellent timepieces for learning/teaching time and durability. The adjustable elastic band makes it easy to set, then slip on and off. The entire thing is water resistant (a must for active kids) and the face is easy to read. Both of my daughters love their watches!
on August 7, 2010
We purchased this watch for my 5-year old daughter. She just loves it. It really does help kids to tell time and even has Timex's Indiglo feature! The strap is elastic and adjustable - my only complaint is that it doesn't stay in the position you set it, so the strap size changes everytime you pull on it. Other than that - a great product!
on December 30, 2014
Perfect watch for a young girl to wear and learn how to read analog time. We especially like the indiglo lighting on the watch. Though the watchband feels cheap and probably won't stand up to wear and tear from a child if worn every day. But for the price it's a great watch for our daughter.
review image review image
on March 21, 2008
I'm buying this watch for the second time. The first one was lost on the second day wearing it. I can't blame my daughter for being irresponsible, my first thought after seeing the watch was that that band would fail. It was difficult to attach correctly and would loosen throughout the day, I didn't expect the watch to get lost, I just thought she'd need help re-attaching it again and again. We've concluded that her watch probably came off with her jacket sleeve, our family was visiting a crowded museum so none of us noticed right away.

The replacement watch will have its band sewn closed at the appropriate size. The band is elastic, so she'll still be able to put it on.

Timex has a $10 replacement policy, which I'll be taking advantage of, but my daughter was heartbroken and I know Amazon will have a replacement here faster.
on May 26, 2013
Gave this watch to my great-granddaughter for her GRADUATION from pre-school to kindergarten..Is just the perfect watch for her to learn TIME. Her father - Grandfather and great-grandfather also learned time from Timex first watch...

Love it!!!