Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Women's T5K451 Ironman Sleek 50-Lap Blue Watch
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Color: Blue|Change

on January 9, 2007
This is the 4th or 5th watch in this series that I've owned. This one allows for multiple interval timing. Fantastic!

I 'did' the Chicago marathon this past fall. The group that I train with runs for 3 minutes and then walks for 2 minutes on all of our training runs. This watch alternates these intervals, sounding an alarm after each! The buttons are intuitive, making it easy to use even with quite a few features.

The silver and black color combo has held up much better another black and metallic green Timex watch from another line did (The metallic green on the watch face scraped off). The band has openings which is nice (your wrist doesn't get sweaty). Good value.
55 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2009
I've uploaded several photos so you can see for yourself why I gave this watch only 1 star. Timex Ironman are my favorite watches, and I have owned several over the years (currently I own the Timex Ironman 30 Lap and it's great -- no problems with it whatsoever). But this one ... such a disappointment and ONLY because the resin strap/band is a piece of junk and the 'paint job' on face wore off almost immediately. The timepiece itself is fantastic. No problems there, but after the nice silver paint wore off, the little loop that prevents the excess band from catching on your clothing split and fell off (not a piece you can find & replace). Then the band started cracking in many places and the problem is not just aesthetic. Eventually it's going to fall apart completely and I won't be able to wear it again. The band is not replaceable. Such a bummer. A great watch but the poor quality band ruins it. BTW - I've owned this watch for 1-2 years and wear it constantly, including in the shower. So I've definitely *used* it, but this is marketed as a *triathlon* watch so I would expect it to be able to stand up to things like water.
review image review image review image review image review image
1919 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2010
This is the second time I buy this watch. My first one lasted 4+ years. I can do the dishes, shower, swim while wearing it and it does not get damaged. It's very easy to program - very idiot proof. I also love the fact that it helps me with my running intervals so that I can run injury free using the Jeff Galloway method. That indiglo feature is very convenient to check the time when it's dark and the cell phone is out of reach. Oh, did I mention that it's so comfortable I wear it 24/7?
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2009
I love the way the watch looks, and it works great, but the color is already wearing off the start/split button and the clear part of the face is scratched. Not a big deal to me, but might be to someone else!

UPDATE March 13, 2010: After 4 months, the face is starting to pull away from the band, leaving a gap where they used to connect at the top & bottom. It still seems firmly seated, but looks like it's falling apart, and I don't know how long it will last at this point. I'm changing my rating from 4 stars to 3.

UPDATE February 3, 2011: It hasn't fallen apart yet! I still wear the watch daily, but it's still got those gaps at the top and bottom of where the face connects to the band.

UPDATE April 1, 2011: Not even 18 months and the band disintegrated overnight. It literally broke apart in two different places while I was sleeping. The watch itself is still functioning, but since you can't just slap a new band on there I tossed it. I won't be buying another, and I'm downgrading my rating again. While I do wear my watches 24/7, with the exception of water activities, I still expect them to last at least a few years.
1414 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2008
I was looking for a sporty, young-looking, low-profile, waterproof, unique digital watch. I only need it for day-to-day timekeeping and recreational swimming, so lap functions are not important to me. This watch was perfect for my needs--it's beautiful, fits my college style, keeps great time, and is waterproof (the instruction sheet is very specific about not pushing any buttons while the watch is in water). I've never had problems with condensation, water seepage, or anything malfunctioning, despite having worn it for recreational swimming in a chlorinated pool.

The watch, true to its name, is sleek. It's not bulky like other sports watches, and doesn't scream "Hardcore Runner!" which is great because I'm not one. On the other hand, it's also not tiny-dainty, which is good news for my bigger stature. The Indiglo-lit numbers are very bright and perfectly readable in low light. The default watch display shows time (with seconds), date (month and day), and day of the week. These are all easy to read at a glance.

The watch is truly dark purple and white, like in the picture, and feminine without being girly. I actually wear my watch with the face on the inside of my wrist because that's how my best friend in high school wore it--the band and clasp look good, and so far I haven't scratched the face.

Overall, I am very pleased with this watch!
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2009
It's a great watch for running, better than the Nike running watch that I got as a gift. The Timex has more functions than the Nike, for example, its interval timer tells you which repeat you're on, cumulatively. You can't go wrong with this. I've had it for 3.5 years now, 2 marathons, 3 half marathons, countless 5 & 10Ks later...still "ticking"!
on April 27, 2010
This is my third Ironman and for those of you who have suffered early breakage of the face seal, here's my word of caution: don't directly expose it to anything with oil in it. No suntan lotion, no insect repellant, no hair conditioners, no moisturizers. If you get that stuff directly on the face of the watch, it might crack the seal. I instantly killed my first Ironman by accidentally dropping a gob of sunscreen directly on it. Since then I've been more careful and they seem to survive the minor residues of oily products (such as what will wash off with sweat) as long as there isn't a direct application.
on April 23, 2010
I recently wrote a nasty email to customer service at Timex Group because I was upset about my irreplaceable broken strap. However, the kind and patient people in Little Rock informed me that for $10 I can send my watch in to their service center ($1.39 postage) and they will fix the strap! The turn around time was a couple weeks as they said, but when I got my watch today I was pleasantly surprised that they had not fixed the strap. They had in fact sent me a new watch entirely! Finally, a customer service that works for you even when you're out of warranty. I think its pretty great. So, if you have this problem just give a call to the TG Service Center in Little Rock and ask them about it.
on September 8, 2011
****I am also sending this to Timex Customer Service****

Like many of these other reviews, I have loved Timex Ironman Triathlete watches for years - ever since I ran my first marathon nearly a decade ago, and the watch dutifully recorded my mile split times. I wore that first watch nonstop for four years - while working out, in the shower, doing dishes, etc. It was wonderfully convenient. Eventually, the strap broke, and I replaced my blue one with a black one (more professional-seeming, since by then I was a college professor and no longer a student!). I had that watch for two years and it was wonderful until the strap broke. I've worn these watches through half-marathons, triathlons, and everyday stuff, all the time. (I am, however, careful to never wear them in hot tubs, because I have heard the heat ruins watches). I've worn the black one to "fancy" events, and I wear these watches so much it drives my much-more-stylish boyfriend crazy that I will not get a "proper" watch.

So on for two more Timex Ironman watches, each one breaking a little faster than the other, until the one I currently own, which I've had for less than a year. After just a few wears in the pool to swim laps, the watch face grew cloudy, and finally the numbers just faded completely.

The watch claims to be water-resistant to 100 meters, which suggests I should be able to wear it swimming freestyle laps. The fact that it is called "Ironman" suggests that it should be able to be worn for triathlons - which always begin with a swimming segment. The fact that these watches seem to be of lesser and lesser quality is highly disappointing. I will no longer be a loyal Timex customer.

Although I do have the original receipt indicating the watch is only six months old, Timex's warranty does not cover "moisture damage":

From their website:

"2) Timex will not provide any warranty service if your watch shows evidence that it has been tampered with, misused, abused, or altered; for example:

- moisture damage sufficient to affect the proper function of the watch;
- damage to the case; or
- visible cracking of the crystal" ([...])

While the last two seem like "evidence that it has been tampered with," a watch that purports to be water resistant to 100 m should be covered in the event that it fails to be adequately water resistant as promised.

Shame on you, Timex. And so disappointing.
on November 9, 2008
This watch is great looking, but unfortunately you can't swim with it. It claims it's water resistant to 300 feet, but after one lap in the pool, water had collected under the face of the watch. Amazon was terrific about returning it though.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse