Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only $29.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 29, 2014
Huge box.. not too much in it. Not many sticks but tons of connectors. The picture is right in retrospect. Cant build a decent thing with this set... buyer beware.
on May 4, 2015
This set is big enough that when my 3 year old granddaughter got it for her birthday we took the set and divided it so she'd have some at her house and some at mine. Although you can't build what the pattern that comes with the set with just half the set my toddler still uses her imagination and puts the pieces together and calls it whatever she dreams up. My special needs teenage son also has enjoyed building with these. He has bad fine motor skills but these aren't so small that he can't manipulate them. (He can no longer play with regular sizes Lego's they are to small for him) So if you have a child (or even an adult) that needs something to help with mind activity and has trouble with their hands try this set of Tinkertoys This summer we will be ordering more sets for birthdays so we can built whatever my family imagines.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Bought this as an extra set as you can never have too many pieces, especially when the kiddies want to make something and NOT take it apart to make more creations. I bought a nice set with a storage-type box and am keeping all of the pieces in that so everything is in one place. I can't find these bigger sets in my local store, and usually if in stock, are way overpriced...you can't go wrong buying through Amazon.com. This is a great value and much nicer than the old wooden pieces when I was a kid.
on September 29, 2015
These are not the tinker toys from when I grew up in the 70s. I found these hard to use and I stored them away for when he's closer to 5-6. I found the plastic flimsy and longed for the wooden ones.
on February 14, 2014
It's amusingly wasteful that the pieces in the box actually fill only about 1/6 of the box. I assume it's to fool people who are shopping in person? I bought this for my grandsons, knowing how many pieces we were getting, and begrudgingly paying the price, but I'm surprised they haven't gotten on the green bandwagon. (However, it's recyclable, for those that won't be as amused as I am by the fraudulent packaging.)
on April 4, 2015
My husband and son (5) are currently on the den floor building space ships and aliens with this Tinkertoy set. It's not the wooden set from our youth (ah those golden years) but my son doesn't care and is loving playing and building with it.

I do think this set is a bit limited but I did purposely go with a cheaper set initially to see if my kiddo would have an interest in playing with it. Since he is really enjoying it (and because they're starting to argue over pieces), I think I will order an expansion set.

**edited** my son is now building Ninja weapons with the tinker toys and using them to attack his pillows. I think this was an inevitable outcome - but be forewarned.
on January 22, 2015
I loved the wooden tinker toys when I was a kid so I was a little disappointed when these plastic toys arrived. Not for long! This is the best toy I've gotten for my 4 grandsons. Actually my two granddaughters have enjoyed it as well. It allows for creativity and spacial skills, and because it is plastic, it is more forgiving and durable. I have also caught my husband building planes or vehicles of some sort, for the kids. I must confess I enjoy reliving the creative process as well, and built an awesome windmill just yesterday.
on January 31, 2016
I bought two for my grandson who asked for it after playing with TinkerToys in his classroom during indoor recess, free time and after-care. He is 7 years old and in 1st grade. He LOVES this toy and has built some very creative objects with it. His sister who will turn 4 soon also LOVES it. I was concerned about getting a plastic version but the flexibilty of the dowel pieces allows for much more creativity: helmets, tiaras, etc. I intend to buy more to increase their abilities to create more and perhaps larger structures.
on June 21, 2015
I don't remember using tinker toys as a child but I know they have been a popular toy for many years. I decided to get these for my very mechanically minded four year old son after a trip to the children's museum- where he spent much of his time playing with this toy. He loved them and we had to drag him away! He now sits and plays with them at home and mom can catch a little break-- to do laundry, of course.

It comes with a little "how to" booklet which was fun. Only complaint was it didn't seem like a lot of pieces once we got them all out. Definitely purchasing a bigger set!
on May 7, 2014
My son got this set for Christmas and we also bought the set for our friend's son's 4th birthday. The boys love them and play with them often. I think they are better than the old school Tinker Toys because they can be bent, stay in place, and a variety of different things can be built. It comes with a guide to build a lot of different things. Also great for the imagination to build your own things.