Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on May 31, 2016
I think this is the best book in this Heroes of Olympus series so far.
All emotions, all tension , (almost) all expectations and thrills and drama are included in this one.
I almost forgot to breathe myself.
The story took you to the peak position and keep you there, it's really wonderful.

Since My favourite character always be Percy, I'm so thrilled that he had a chance to take a tour in Tartarus..(^_-)-☆
Because after all, he had already met and negotiated and fight with nearly most of the gods and Titans on the land, I thought it must be a good experience for him to challenge the big boss of Tartarus to enhance his power, and utilize it when the time comes.
All the chapters about his and Annabeth in Tartarus journey were so good.

And I'm so glad I had a chance to meet Bob, Small Bob and Damasen.
Especially Bob.
He was so sweet, so gentle and a very wonderful character.
His word 'say hello to the stars for me' was so powerful it still makes my eyes full of tears and squeeze my chest so tightly every time I thought about this book, even after more than a month since I finished it.

You will love Bob and small Bob so dearly, I guarantee you.

Anyway, cause I wrote this review after I finished all the books in this series, and because this 4th book is really great as I told you, I don't know whether I should make some caution for you to not expecting much for the next (final) book or not.

Of course, you've come this far you should finish it for good, but some times I wondered it might be better if I had stopped reading at this book and let my imagination end the series.
Especially if you are Percy Jackson's fan like me.
11 people found this helpful
on February 4, 2017
Great series and family friendly, there's no adult (sexual) content that I remember which makes me happy as an adult reader who reads YA books specifically to avoid that.
Fun storyline and interesting story line that I would qualify as family friendly :)
10 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2015
I read this book as a college student and loved it. Being meant for young adults, the writing is pretty easy which makes it a quick read. However, the story is great! I've always enjoyed Greek mythology from my youth and was stoked when the the original Percy Jackson series came out. I personally enjoy this second series more because it includes both Roman and Greek mythology.
One of my favorite parts about this series is that there is an Asian character as one of the main characters. He's not the stereotypical, nerdy Asian. He's a complete boss with awesome powers. He is so awesome that he is given a huge weakness to make things fair for the others.
Most fictional books I have read very rarely incorporate races other than white as the main characters. Even if they are, they are often side, very minimal characters to the point where they can be killed off. (Except for Minho in the maze runner! Which is another interesting read btw). Here we have, Leo Valdez (Hispanic), Frank Zhang (Canadian/Chinese), and Hazel Levesque (African American). None of them die! They are all super important characters and each have a unique personality that many young adults can relate to.
Overall, I think this is a great book which is a part of a great series! I look forward to more of Riordans work!
17 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
When I first read the *Percy Jackson* series, I was a bit underwhelmed. I mean, I had heard so much about how awesome it was, and it seemed just such a let-down. It appeared to me to be, quite frankly put, a weaker version of *Harry Potter*. Now, I know that isn't fair or accurate, but that was my first impression. While the second book in the series, *The Sea of Monsters*, helped to change my mind on this, it was still a bit underwhelming. Yes, this is not just a takeoff of *HP*, it is it's own unique series. Not only are there many differences beyond the surface-only similarities, but I learned recently (as of the writing of this review) that Riordan started writing this series before *HP* was published, so, yah, not based on *HP*. So critics who use this argument, including *myself* at first, are just silly. I'm admitting I was an idiot, yes.

As I said, though, the second book still didn't quite wow me. The whole narrative felt like basically an endless series of cliff-hangers with little to no character development and not enough plot. The cliff-hangers seemed to be far more numerous than most quest books in fantasy settings. Now, this isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the first two volumes, but just that they didn't quite (other than some interesting stuff such as likable characters and references to myths) *do* it for me, so to speak. This third book, however, really did make me a major *Percy Jackson* fan, and was absolutely a great read. The rest of the review will show why.

The plot is simple. In a rescue mission to save two fellow demi-gods, Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and their new friend Thalia, encounter trouble. Though they save the twin half-bloods, Annabeth goes missing, and to make matters worse, so does a powerful goddess ally, Artemis.

Of course, a quest is in order. But the questions are rather more complicated than one might think in this case. Normally, these quests are, of course, quite dangerous. But in this case, the sense of danger, really the *fact* of danger, is more persistent. Because a prophecy from the Oracle is that at least two of the members of the quest will not make it back alive...

While the plot is relatively straight-forward at first, the narrative and plot developments this time were quite a bit more complicated. Not only did Riordan expand on the mythology of the series, and the connections to Classical Greek myths, but the structure was different. Gone was the nearly every chapter cliff-hanger, with the accompanying desperate rushes from one danger to the next, one clue to the next. In it's place was a slower and more long-term story progression.

Don't get me wrong. The sense of excitement and adventure was just as strong, but the story was a better one in this way. This is because there was more time taken to spend more time exploring the characters and their thoughts and the world-building, as well as both delving into the past of this world and laying down groundwork for future plots. This all was a net plus for the book and made it far, *far* better than the predecessors.

Included in this are tidbits that answer the big questions that some might have, including, why, oh why, do the Olympians not *do* anything to remedy these problems themselves. Well, the answer is that they are a) kinda personality-driven, and this interferes with some proactiveness, as they have their own stuff to attend to and their personalities dictate this, and b) related, they are *busy*. Not only do they have the duties they have always had, but they are also dealing with the fact that the coming hostilities with the forces of Kronos are causing other supernatural gods and god-like beings to cause problems that make their jobs harder. For that matter, there is a delicate power balance that too much action on the part of *anyone* will upset.

The reason I liked this one as well is that the characters are kinda coming into their own and beginning to grow up. Annabeth is becoming more mature and able to forgive and see others' points of view more. Meanwhile, Percy is faster on his feet where he can handle things without constant directions. Though he still isn't the strategist that Annabeth is, and thus doesn't do as well as when he's teamed up with her, he still acquits himself admirably.

Grover, though, is a disappointment here. He's reduced to little more than comic relief. That annoys me in that while he was the weakest member of the quest, he's still a knowledgeable and capable guy. Or should be. I hope that he gets more impressive again in coming books.

I can't say much about other characters so as to not give away their roles, but just to say that Riordan does a good job with fleshing out their characters and arcs in a way that really makes them vivid to the reader and gets you to care about them.

I can honestly say now that I really enjoy this series and that it has become one of my favorites.

Highly Recommended.

Rating: 5/5 Stars.
One person found this helpful
on August 29, 2014
Okay first off I blew through this book in like three days. It was soo good and so totally different. We got to finally see in our minds what Tartarus is actually like. I never thought that Tartarus would actually be a body. Well Tartarus, the god Tartarus's body to be exact, I was happy to see Bob, the good Titan, again. Even if being in Tartarus he got his memories back but didn't return to being evil at all.
We also find out with why Nico is so grumpy and not very talkative with Annabeth anymore like he used to as a preteen. I had my suspicions that Nico might have liked liked Percy throughout the book but they were confirmed in this book by Cupid himself.

This book is really good and we learned a lot. Leo even visited Calypso and we learned what that line in the prophecy about a promise was really Leo promising Calypso to free her from her prison so that one day they could open up a car repair garage/food place.

A lot of the characters developed in this book. Leo's ADHD hasn't been too bad, Piper can charmspeak things to being actual living things while also learning how to fight, and being in Tartarus both changed Percy and Annabeth while growing them more together. Rick Riordan did just a good job on this book that I can't believe that we will only have one last book of Percy Jackson/the Heroes of Olympus books left. It is just so sad in my opinion as I love both book series and I just don't want it to end at all.

If you like this review please go to my blog to read some of my other reviews: http://baronessbooktrove.blogspot.com/
4 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2016
My son and I both are reading this series. We have enjoyed following Percy Jackson and his friends from the beginning. Rick Riordan does a fabulous job in his writing. I imagine it's a little more difficult keeping a younger mind's attention, but his style is funny and humorous and reads just the way my son sounds when he describes his crazy ideas. I mostly read it to make sure that my son's book reports are accurate, but I do find myself wanting to know what's going to happen next in Percy's life. I think we will both be sad when Percy's story ends.
10 people found this helpful
on August 13, 2016
The premise of the series is that Greek mythology and its beasts, gods, etc. are actually real. That fact makes for a fun adventure. It's definitely an "intermediate" book. Think Empire Strikes Back: recap start and cliffhanger end. The plot of the series has been well contained and reminders of previous facts are conveniently sprinkled around.
My 9 yo and I have read them together. We had very cool chats from it.
on November 30, 2014
SPOILERS MAY BE AHEAD!!!!!

I'm so stunned, I can't make physical human noises right now!!!! This book was
soooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait until I read the next one!!!! In this book, Percy goes on another quest, this time with new characters, the Hunters. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the Hunters. They seemed like girls who had gone through a rough time and needed to feel a sense of sisterhood and gain immortality. At the time, I wasn't sure if they could be considered "good guys" or "bad guys". The book started out jumping right into action. Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia were on there way somewhere in Percy's mom's car. Sally was driving them to meet Grover, who was s stationed at a military boarding school. I kind of felt like I had missed out on somethings that had happened between the Sea of Monsters and The Titan
's Curse. I didn't know if that was an okay to thing or not, but I think I'm okay with it, because Thalia, Percy, and Annabeth had seemed to develop a friendship. Anyway, there are two new half-bloods discovered and there is a monster at the school who wants the kids to go to Krono's side. So, there is a battle and everything, the Hunters are introduced, and ANNABETH DISAPPEARS!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it, and I was very sad because Annabeth is one of my favorite characters. So, the story plays off from there. The book was great, and I recommend it to people who enjoy an adventure in modern day Greek Mythology.
on November 11, 2014
The House of Hades follows up on the awful cliffhanger from The Mark of Athena. Everyone is on survival mode — Percy and Annabeth must survive Tartarus and reach the Doors of Death, as the rest of the team — Jason, Piper, Frank, Hazel, Leo, Nico, and Coach Hedge — travels on the Argo II to reach the House of Hades. Their trials and tribulations only grow worse with each turn of the page. Frank, despite his unassuming nature, must step up to take a leading role, while Jason continues to practice relying on others so that the weight on the quest is not entirely on his shoulders. Piper must learn to be more than just a persuasive voice. Hazel must learn to control The Mist and build up her confidence, as so much of this quest depends on her knowledge of the Underworld. Nico… well, he’s just a very complex individual. Meanwhile, Coach Hedge tries to conceal certain personal information, and Leo deals with the constant upkeep of their trireme, which is under unrelenting attacks and round-the-clock repairs.

The changing points of view allows the reader to keep up with the simultaneous events — sometimes jumping from one place to another at the most inopportune times, other times giving us just enough breathing room to relax for a millisecond. We follow Percy and Annabeth’s impossible and grueling journey through the most horrible of settings — in a surprising turn of events, there is more than just a horde of evil enemies down there… (a silver light as the end of this dark, dark tunnel?) As the larger group makes its way to Greece, they inevitably must separate — whether by choice or to divide and conquer their smaller errands along the way. Jason is able to get some insight into Nico’s antisocial behavior and inner turmoil. Piper and Hazel are able to bond as the only girls on the Argo II. Leo… experiences a change. As does Frank, who is becoming tougher and more commanding for the sake of his friends — he is such a caring and cuddly guy… until you mess with his crew.

I think Percy’s thoughts really sum it up quite well: “When he started looking back on the war with Kronos as the good old days — that was sad. [...] Their lives just got more and more dangerous, as if the Three Fates were up there spinning their futures with barbed wire instead of thread just to see how much two demigods could tolerate.”

more on http://doodlesandwords.com/2014/11/11/the-house-of-hades-a-tale-of-anguish-and-unlikely-hope/
One person found this helpful
on June 21, 2016
This was a great book. I enjoyed it very much. Keep in mind that this is a Riordan demi-god book. Some would say that once you've read one, you've read them all. However true that may be, I think there is a reason that he keeps writing them. They are just fun to read! Not just for kids either.