Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 551 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 796 reviews
on April 21, 2016
I couldn't decide between the Tivoli Model One or the Sangean WR-11 so I bought both to compare. Here are my random thoughts: The Tivoli can go a bit louder. The Tivoli has a much brighter sound but sometimes can sound a bit harsh. The Sangean is way too bassy to listen to at low volume. The Tivoli would work well in a quiet office setting as you can listen at very low volume and still make out everything while the Sangean is boomy even at low volume. The Sangean sounds a bit muffled almost like heavy noise reduction is being applied to the signal. I even turned each of them up at high volume and walked into another room and I could hear the Tivoli much more clearly. The Tivoli would be much better for listening to talk radio. The Sangean's speaker is too directional in that when you look at the radio you can tell exactly where the sound is coming from whereas the Tivoli has a more diffuse, non-directional sound. The Tivoli has a much more sensitive receiver but is very noisy, staticky when tuning since it does seem to pick up everything. The Sangean is quieter when tuning. I picked up some stations with the Tivoli that I couldn't with the Sangean using the same external antenna. I went in really wanting to prefer the Sangean over the Tivoli simply because the Tivoli costs twice as much but in the end I really preferred the Tivoli. It is a much better radio. I also need to record the line-out to my computer for a local weekly radio show I upload to a podcast and discovered that the Tivoli's line-out has a more dynamic, fuller sound than the Sangean. I also discovered during my comparison tests that I really prefer the natural wood look of the Sangean so I am exchanging my Black Ash/Silver Tivoli for the classic Walnut/Beige color. Hope this helps!

UPDATE: The Walnut/Beige color was out of stock until July so I bought a manufacturer refurbished one from Tivoli's eBay store at a discount. It arrived in perfectly new condition. I am deducting one star because of the hum from the internal AC/DC transformer. I keep mine on all the time with the volume turned all the way down because I record from the radio's line-out to my computer but the hum was driving me crazy. I bought a 12V DC 3 AMP Wearnes wall wart power supply from Rage Cams on eBay and that solved the problem.
review image review image
on May 3, 2016
I am a professional musician, recording engineer and lifetime radio enthusiast. It seems odd these days to be raving about a table radio, but this little guy is simply wonderful. Lots of fun. The sound quality is superb - glorious mono! - and it can thoroughly fill a small room. The Kloss tuner is a classic and one of the best, still. There is nothing not to like about it, and it has a great retro-modern look as well.

Some comments and caveats:

If your hearing isn't what it used to be, or you already have and like the sound of one of the Bose offerings, you will not like this. The Tivoli's treble is rounded and natural, not crispy and hyped like the Bose. The Tivoli produces a good deal of bass, which gives the sound a lot of body. It's diminutive size belies the volume it can produce, but some may not like the bass, which I find to be likewise natural. This radio produces less low end than the similar Sangean, which I think is too bassy. There is no tone control.

The tuner is one of the best ever. Being all analog, it can tune channels which might be getting swamped by adjacent frequencies. Tuning requires a bit of technique, which I think is part of the enjoyment. If you live in or near a city, the built-in antenna might be all you need, but if you are in a "fringe" area I highly recommend an outdoor FM antenna and good coax. (I use the Fanfare "college band" antenna. The Winegard Omni is very good as well.) That's when this thing comes alive. I can tune close to fifty stations where I am in a fringe area of New York State with this set-up. Band-scanning is very entertaining. <g> Even if you are not in a fringe area, today's homes are typically full of transmitters, from wi-fi to cordless phones and many others. These can swamp radio frequencies. If you can put up an outdoor antenna,
you might want to.

My older home has aluminum siding which makes AM reception impossible, but I have found late at night that a tunable external loop - a Tecsun AN200, bought on Amazon - allows me to receive nearly inaudible stations clearly. I have listened to Louisville, KY from my location. You just place this inexpensive device adjacent to the radio and tune it as you would the radio. If you are in a city, there should be plenty of reception with the internal antenna if you want AM.

There is an auxiliary input for your iPod, etc. It uses a mini stereo cable.

Apparently the tuner can get crackly with age, which is easily fixed by "exercising" the tuner, back and forth. This is common with analog controls. I suspect many people lock in one station and never adjust the tuner, which could be part of the problem. Also, if it is used in a kitchen, airborne grease will eventually build up on the contacts. Adjusting the controls regularly will help keep it clean.

If you've had any desire for a little old-school radio, there is nothing better.
on November 23, 2015
I absolutely love this radio. I couldn't wait to get it, and when I did, it was all that I had hoped for. All I wanted was a radio. No clock, no Bluetooth, no remote, nothing but a simple, good sounding radio. I love the simplicity, and the tuning dial is great. I can zero in on stations I never even heard of. I bought an extra antenna just in case I needed it, but I'm getting super clear reception just by itself. I am a huge NPR listener, and this is the perfect radio for me. Voice AND music comes out equally clear. I have a Bose Wave system, and I love it as well, but for simplicity AND good sound, I would seriously consider getting a 2nd one. It's compact, with no components to lug with me if I choose to use the radio elsewhere. If you are a home listener, as I am, you will be glad you picked this one.
review image
on December 8, 2015
I don't want to say this radio is all bad because it looks nice with the wooden cabinet and has nice sound for the most part, but there is a major manufacturing defect in the tuner of these radios.

The radios are built with a miniature analog variable tuning capacitor that develops a problem after a couple of years. What happens is that the rotor/shaft of the capacitor is tied to ground of the tuner circuit by design. Between the shaft and bearing that forms the electrical connection to ground for this capacitor is a lubricant that deteriorates over time that causes a bad electrical connection, resulting in a very scratchy tuning dial that makes it almost impossible to tune in a station. Tivoli Audio said to fix this problem you are supposed to turn the power on, turn the volume all the way down and rotate the tuning dial vigorously from one end to the next for 3 to 5 minutes. They don't say why, but I assume it is to redistribute the lubricant and help wipe the shaft clean making a better electrical connection. The problem I've found with this solution is that it is temporarily and after doing this a few times when you want to change the station it discourages you from wanting to retune to another station, (what's the point of a good radio if you can't change the station). Clearly this is an engineering design flaw that the company seems to be ignoring, because as far as I know, they still use this defective component in their tuners. If you google "Model One Scratchy Tuning" you'll find that there are many others with the same problem.
on March 10, 2017
Many days I spend hours listening to this tiny speaker in its little black wooden box - in preference to larger stereo and home theater setups. I turn it on for news from Public Radio, enjoying the clear, natural-sounding voices, and when classical music programming begins, I am seldom tempted to stop.
The output is sweet and smooth, wide-range, fatigue-free, and gives an amazing illusion of three-dimensional sound and of theater or studio acoustics. My memories go back to serious monophonic hi-fi, and when I first turned this unit on I thought, “Oh yes, I know that sound - that’s great!”
My cat seconds the motion … and she, in principle, hates all music.
on December 7, 2013
This very simple to use and has a great sound. I put a Seiko alarm clock on top of it. So, together, they make a great clock radio!!
review image review image
on March 9, 2015
As a lifelong radio buff, beginning with a Jade 6 transistor (a gift from my Dad), I've amassed quite a collection of portables and table-top models over the years.

Amongst my collection are Sangean, Grundig, Bose, and Crane. Missing however was the much-spoken about Tivoli.

I recently received-- much to my delight -- the gift of a Tivoli Audio "Model One", in the Walnut and Beige colour scheme.

As others have already covered the more technical aspects of this radio in their reviews, I'll simply limit mine to my own experience and thoughts.

Right out of the box it was aesthetically quite pleasing. A classic design one won't likely tire of easily. Very "analog" in appearance, it may not appeal to the "high-tech" crowd. I, however, find it very easy on the eye... and ears.

It has performed well in the few days I have owned my Model One. No "FM station drift" whatsoever. After reading the worrisome reviews which mention this problem, I have left my Model One on one FM station for 6-8 hrs a day, and I'm pleased to report that it's experienced absolutely no "drifting" whatsoever.

Sound wise, I'd rate the Model One a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

There is sufficient bass, but the overall sound is a bit "muddy". This is more noticeable on AM Talk programs. FM music performs much better.

Sound performance remains intact when the volume is at maximum level. with no vibration noted. This radio is fairly "loud", however, so one would rarely need to raise the volume beyond the "10 o'clock" setting.

I've found that at the "8 o'clock" level, I'm able to hear both talk and music programming quite clearly, even 3 rooms away.

In comparison: The Tivoli Model One lacks the mid-range punch of most Bose models, but for half the price, is quite satisfactory for my needs. I use my Model One at my home-office desk, which is an over-crowded executive-sized one, so the Model One's smaller footprint is much appreciated.

Overall, while there may be better-sounding radios available, the uncomplicated appearance, classic design, and above-average sound quality make for a very attractive package at an affordable price.

NB: Soon after receiving my Tivoli Model One, I applied an oil-based wood polish to the walnut case. This greatly improved the appearance of the wood and the radio's attractiveness.

-CC, Prime Member-Reviewer
on April 21, 2015
So far a nice radio. FM turner is Great but....The built in antenna is not good enough. The plug in wire antenna is better. I happen to have a set of rabbit ears laying around and that is the ticket. It sucks having them sitting on the table but reception is the best that way. Also you will find some stations have good bass and some do not. A tone control is needed for that reason. The built in AM antenna is junk. I could only pull in one station with it and like all am radios you have to move the radio around to get a signal. For the price of this radio it should include a am antenna. I am a shortwave radio guy so I had a sangean ant-60 reel up antenna wire. I plugged it in to the 3.5mm jack and it works way better then the internal antenna.With the rabbit ears the FM picks up stations I never heard before. But unless you live in the middle of a big city you will have to have ugly antennas hooked to it....kinda ruins the small sleek look of the radio. My other concern is the switch on the back for internal to external antenna doesn't have a positive click to it. Just slides back and forth. So all in all it's a nice radio with good sound I have only had it for a week so I hope nothing goes wrong.
on June 27, 2017
I bought it for a person who is completely blind, and not good with tech. The rotary knobs and tuner were a major consideration, together with my own very good experience with other Tivoli Audio devices. It's a very pleasant and convenient table-top radio. Reception with an attached telescopic antenna is lots better than the radio it replaced, and lots better than I expected. Tuning may be strange to 21st-century geeks, but I was able to dredge up ancient memories. From my father-in-law's standpoint, it's how radios are supposed to be. I had no problems with the thing drifting off the selected station, but I haven't used it much beyond confirming that it works.
on January 27, 2015
Since one star is "I hate it", I can't really make that statement. But, I definitely don't like it. It has fantastic sound for something with only one speaker, for the brief period it's on station. And that's the gist of my complaint. I have no problem with the analog tuning, in fact sometimes analog tuning is an advantage allowing stations to be selected that digital tuning would have passed over. But the tuning on this thing is horrible, The station fades in and out as you rotate the dial coming in well above and below where is should be on the dial. And when you think you've got it, the second you take a couple of steps away from the radio, the station veers off tuning. And if you should manage to get the radio to cooperate, it won't stay tuned in for long. Straying off into static after an hour or sometimes just a few minutes. I live in a major metropolitan so distance isn't a problem, and I've tried external antennas with no positive result. Basically the tuner on this radio, a key component, is very susceptible to harmonics. This has been replaced by a C.Crane CC WiFi 2 Cherry Wood model, which so far is performing well. Doing what a radio is meant to do; receive radio stations.