BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2015
I very much enjoyed the approach the author gave to her NDE and visit to heaven focusing on the wisdom imparted to her. If was very different from other books that were more descriptive of heaven. Although her experience was unique to her it was very believable and inspiring to again check the scriptures and see if it rang true. It made me rethink some things I believe and clarify some that were obscure.
I gave 4 stars as I wanted to know more of what insights were given to her.
A great t read as it kept me glued to the book until I had to put t it down until the next day.
on October 19, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was such a well-written real story that I felt as if I were there. The details given could not have been made up and certainly coincide with other's experience as well as my own. I had no trouble believing your account. Thank you for sharing.
on October 16, 2017
This book was an easy and great read. I not of this doctor's faith, but I still feel this book to be well written, organized and kept my interest. Wonderful book on her life's journey. Looking forward to reading the follow up book next.
on October 15, 2017
I found this book to be full of hope. Dr. Neal did a wonderful job of relating her experience. Her Faith was never ending. I loved her book.
on June 10, 2017
Good book. It kept my interest and I finished it in 2 days. I am somewhat sceptical but really want to believe that heaven is for real.
on October 15, 2017
Found Dr. Mark's book very interesting and informative. Look forward to reading her next book "The Seven Lessons Learned in Heaven."
on August 17, 2013
Let me just say I opened this book very excited to hear about her experience. As I began to read, the way she structured telling her life story and just her general writing style didn't really capture my attention very well. But I kept reading on, trying so hard to like this book. I tried, but I couldn't. The way she tells the story is very choppy - many times out of order going back and forth - this works sometimes but not her case. It seemed very disorganized. As other people reviewing the book have also said, it feels almost robotic, the words are there but the emotions aren't. Maybe this is just her style of writing due to her profession and what she learned in Med school.. I'm not sure. Either way, this is more of a very bland autobiography of her entire life rather than her experience and how it changed her.

The actual time spent describing her experience in "Heaven" was also extremely short. I put "Heaven" in quotes because to me she experienced the spiritual world, but didn't seem to actually experience Heaven (not that she wasn't saved - but just didn't actually make it that far because it wasn't her time). To sum it up, after she dies she's met by humans in their spiritual form while she's looking down at her body. They begin traveling away from the Earth and end up at a Tunnel of Light - one that she describes is the final tunnel between Earth and Heaven. Well, she is told before actually traveling through the tunnel that it isn't her time and she must be go back. There was no actual Heaven, God, Christ, or Angels. She did describe the heightened senses and the intense love she felt as a spiritual being, but again she didn't actually to go to Heaven. I think her experience was amazing and I pray that she's able to reach as many people as she can through it, but I felt the title of the book was a bit misleading.
on October 13, 2017
Reading this account will touch you with the ways God has shown up in your life all along. We are so loved.
on August 30, 2012
I have to admit, that I really wanted to get to the part of the book where she experienced Heaven, so I read ahead, but then realized that it's probably best to start from the beginning.

Although, as some other reviewers have noted, that most of the book is about her other life experiences it also details other struggles, tragedies and potential life threatening situations where God had a hand in helping her. As for the leftist political affiliations, I just ignore that part and if she honestly only wrote about her Heaven experience and visits with angels (or as she felt, Jesus) then it wouldn't be long enough for a book (in my opinion). And maybe some of it was added to honor her son.

I personally will always find it amazing how when some people are faced with tragedy, then can still walk away feeling that there is a God who is watching over them and it's all just part of a greater plan.