Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2017
This is a great book for helping believers and nonbelievers to understand that there is an afterlife and that things that happen to us here on earth have reason and purpose beyond our comprehension. I personally believe that God cannot be fully JUST unless He takes each of us at our greatest point and potential for salvation, and this book helped me to glimpse more truth about this belief. Many thanks to Dr. Neal for the difficulty she endured to bring this experience to us. This will help so many people who have lost a loved one and who are searching for answers and understanding.
on June 3, 2017
Very interesting true story and an easy read!
on October 15, 2017
I found this book to be full of hope. Dr. Neal did a wonderful job of relating her experience. Her Faith was never ending. I loved her book.
on March 2, 2013
I had read "Proof of Heaven" by Dr. Eben Alexander first and came away feeling a bit "sterile". Mary Neal's book,however, was the total opposite. Perhaps it was because Mary already was strong in her faith in our Lord. She didn't need to use "medical speak" to get her point across or speak to the rest us as though we were idiots. As I read Mary's book it felt as if she and I were having a cup of coffee and she was telling me this incredible story, even to the point of "jumping" around a little as we all do when we talk to a friend. Even though I originally bought this book for my Kindle Fire, I am going to buy the hard copy in order to share it with others. God Bless You Mary, and thanks for sharing your experience. I know a lot of my questions have been answered.
on June 10, 2017
Good book. It kept my interest and I finished it in 2 days. I am somewhat sceptical but really want to believe that heaven is for real.
on October 15, 2017
Found Dr. Mark's book very interesting and informative. Look forward to reading her next book "The Seven Lessons Learned in Heaven."
on March 29, 2014
Dr. Neal gives a heartfelt memoir of her life experiences as well as the account of her near-death, out of body experiences. It is a fascinating story; a testament to her faith. It's not preachy, but it does invite thought and provide inspiration for living a life of fulfillment and joy. I found that the later chapters held a different tone, not as cogent. I feel this may be a reflection of difficult adjustments in her life I (don't want to be a spoiler). Dr. Neal does bring her story back to on track before the conclusion. Text is easy to read, very clearly written, short chapters. Nice organization for people that may have only short periods of time for pleasure reading. I recommend it.
on July 22, 2014
Mary Neal lets the reader in on her extraordinary adventure into Heaven after a horrible kayaking accident in which she nearly drowned. The story is intensely personal and she opens up her heart about God and His messengers and what she learned about the soul. It is interesting to hear her perspective. She is a doctor and admits that scientists tend to be the most skeptical regarding spiritual experiences. Nevertheless she bravely commits to telling her story which reminds us to look for how God is working our lives each day. I really enjoyed her writing style too. Note: I was glad to see that Some of the proceeds from the sale of the book go to charity.
on August 17, 2013
Let me just say I opened this book very excited to hear about her experience. As I began to read, the way she structured telling her life story and just her general writing style didn't really capture my attention very well. But I kept reading on, trying so hard to like this book. I tried, but I couldn't. The way she tells the story is very choppy - many times out of order going back and forth - this works sometimes but not her case. It seemed very disorganized. As other people reviewing the book have also said, it feels almost robotic, the words are there but the emotions aren't. Maybe this is just her style of writing due to her profession and what she learned in Med school.. I'm not sure. Either way, this is more of a very bland autobiography of her entire life rather than her experience and how it changed her.

The actual time spent describing her experience in "Heaven" was also extremely short. I put "Heaven" in quotes because to me she experienced the spiritual world, but didn't seem to actually experience Heaven (not that she wasn't saved - but just didn't actually make it that far because it wasn't her time). To sum it up, after she dies she's met by humans in their spiritual form while she's looking down at her body. They begin traveling away from the Earth and end up at a Tunnel of Light - one that she describes is the final tunnel between Earth and Heaven. Well, she is told before actually traveling through the tunnel that it isn't her time and she must be go back. There was no actual Heaven, God, Christ, or Angels. She did describe the heightened senses and the intense love she felt as a spiritual being, but again she didn't actually to go to Heaven. I think her experience was amazing and I pray that she's able to reach as many people as she can through it, but I felt the title of the book was a bit misleading.