Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,088 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,496 reviews
on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,078 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2017
I was disappointed in that little was devoted to the actual experience in heaven as the title implies, but more of the author's
finding God's intervention in her life's experiences. She goes off on a tangent when she proposes that we know before we are born what
critical events will happen and we plan our life so to speak. How Jesus dying on the cross to save us from our sins fits into this
scenario I cannot imagine since we would all plan to go to heaven and not hell. Evil and sin does not enter into the picture.
That being said, as a Christian, I believe her main point that God does love and care for us daily and if we are alert to His
intervention in our daily activities, we will be better human beings.
on September 20, 2017
It always strengthens my faith to read of people's experiences of heaven and then coming back and telling what they've seen and heard. Dr. Mary seems to be a very humble person as she tells us of visiting with angels and Jesus. I was also very touched as she tells about the loss of her son, Willie. I have also lost a child. The emotions she shared as they were healing their grief were so real to me. I look forward so much to seeing my son, Ian when it is my time to go to Heaven to be with our Lord.
on July 11, 2012
Other reviewers state that the title "To Heaven and Back", is not an appropriate title for this book by Dr. Mary Neal. This title does describe the main purpose of the book. I believe that Dr. Neal's story, before and after the accident, is appropriate in explaining who she is; as well as her spiritual status before and after. The other stories involving her survival of a vehicle accident, her relationship with her parents/step-father, her son's premonition of his own death are supportive accounts to God's work in Dr. Neal's life as well as an indication of her faith through such difficult times. In my experience, one such incident in your life, will open a person's eyes to the many ways of God in even the small events of our lives. Many people just fail to open their minds to miracles.

The reason I bought the book: A beautiful young lady died last month in a kayaking accident in South America. I was searching for the news article when I came across the FOX news interview with Dr. Neal and her accident in 1999. You can see Dr. Neal's smile and enthusiasm is genuine. Her insistence that the accident was not "horrific" and was a "gift of joy" touched my soul. THEN, I discovered she had written a book. It is a simple read and in my opinion at a good length in which to encourage those that do not read often, to give the book a try.

Reading this book is inspiring because of Dr. Neal's experience in spiritual events that do give hope, wander, and promise (using these words from the video that accompanies this book's add). I do not believe this book is meant to argue on Christianity, the Bible, or any specific religion. Dr. Neal's story does encourage my faith in God which I believe would be God's purpose of such miracles; as well as to grow spiritually. She is sharing her life experience in death and the afterlife, not preaching a sermon.
on April 27, 2013
I have read this book and encountered some of the same spiritual experiences that happened to Mary. Though I did not die, but deeply saddened because of a divorce. What spiritual experiences I encountered during that marriage and after it is still fresh in my mind. Everything on earth seemed to change for me then. I wanted to learn more about it. I found Mary's book very honest in similar experiences. Though it is true about the "forks in the road". In a way it's like leaving "Paradise" when you take the wrong fork. I believe what she wrote about is very true. Angels and guides are real! So is heaven!!
on January 25, 2013
I have experienced NDE three times and met one other person. "Sherry P” who knew that I had one, without learning it from me.

I did not share my experience with anyone that could have told Sherry.
Her experience was long before mine and by far more intense.
Sherry P, I learned from Dr. Neal is an Angel.

Sherry’s appearance taught me that I was stable that what I experienced was not a fever-induced hallucination.

The last NDE was March 2012 after radical Denture surgery and the prescribed pain medication I witnessed what my Satan looks like.

I am in my opinion a most Blessed man because I was truly protected by God in that spiritual encounter I felt and feel no fear.

This happened by a true life Angel, my daughter. She fought Satan's spiritual magnetism using her spiritual magnetism from God. God's Angel prevailed. I was in the arms of an Angel.

During my recovery from the issues that triggered the NDE, I learned from a FOX News interview featuring Doctor Neal about her Book. Her "witnessing.” I placed my first of several orders with Amazon.

Her works led me to more solid clarity about the Angels and Demons that are among us at all times.

I have given or sent her inspiring works to several people some I have never met but learned about through people who were in retrospect more Demonic than Angelic, I do not Judge. I have suggested Dr. Neal’s Book on FB. to commenters I feel need guided introspection

Dr. Alexander's {Also an Angel} Witnessing including his subsequent practices of meditation instructed me on how to pursue my purpose, as I believe God Intends.

My mission I believe is to reach out to Gods prized Earthly creations, “Humans” to teach them to learn their path to self-enlighten., God’s purpose for them.

Most importantly, I learned not to judge, who to reach out to, in that
God created us in his own image; therefore, the spirit of God resides in every person. A spirit that simply needs an awaking an epiphany.

Gods “will” be done unto them as it was to me. We are each free without condemnation to choose.
on July 6, 2017
This book really changed my life. I hadn't felt that god loved me or I couldn't grasp how much. This book has helped me to see and acknowledge his love. Will read over and over.
on December 29, 2012
My husband has been fighting stage 4 lung cancer for three months and my faith has been severely challenged but this book has given me the knowledge that I need to begin rejoicing in the challenges that God has put in front of my husband and I. Even though I pray for my husband's remission, I know that if it is God's will that remission will happen. If remission is not God's will then we will accept what his plan is for us and pray, pray and pray.
on January 10, 2013
I love these kinds of books - real people living a life that has great setbacks and difficulty - yet, they find ways to inspire and give hope to others. Dr. Mary Neal's life experiences are well worth sharing. I was pleased that she wrote the book that gives her readers hope in their own lives. I read the book very quickly - could not put it down. I saw great love in her personal story even though it came at a high price to the author.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for meaning in their lives.

If you found this book of interest you might also want to read these two books that I found worthy of sharing:

"Divine Moments: Ordinary People having Spiritually Transformative Experiences" by Nancy Clark

Divine Moments; Ordinary People Having Spiritually Transformative Experiences

"Voyage Of Purpose: Spiritual Wisdom from Near-Death back to Life" by David bennett and Cindy Griffith-Bennett[

Voyage of Purpose: Spiritual Wisdom from Near-Death back to Life
on August 4, 2012
To Heaven and Back: A Doctor's Extraordinary Account of Her Death, Heaven, Angels, and Life Again: A True Story

Dr. Neal's brave sharing touches my heart because I think I can appreciate how very difficult it must be to experience something the rest of the world only wonders about and then to try to put that experience into words for the telling of it. No wonder Jesus spoke to us in parables. He must have known quite well that we lacked ears to hear, and so he tried to make it as understandable as possible, perhaps. You are, Dr. Neal, authentic and gifted in your telling. We are, the readers, so fortunate that you had the courage to share, perhaps more courage than it would have taken to escape the drowning, if that had been possible. Thank you for writing down your very precious experience. I especially treasured the part about feeling held with loving arms, and welcomed. To know again that all the lights are on for us, to be reminded that loved ones will meet and greet us, that Heaven will explode with joy over each one of our "rescues" is to be reassured in this world of the good news Jesus has promised and its reality, no matter what. Thank you. Elizabeth Roth, author and artist.