Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 29, 2017
At first, I was having a real hard time with this book, especially after reading several other books on near death experiences. It's a bit of a slog through the first half. She spent a lot of time talking about her family, her job, and her experiences as a Christian. It wasn't until she finally talked about her near death in South America, that things got interesting. There isn't a lot of memory for her concerning her visitation to heaven...but there is a lot about what this visit did to change her life. Dr. Neal talks about her continuing talks with either an angel or God about why things happened, and what she should do. She apparently was comforted when her own son passed away after her own accident.

This book really doesn't spend a lot of time with information about heaven, if that's what you are looking for. But if you want a book that adds to your own understanding about our relationship with God, this book is a good read. She writes well, and the last half of the book made it worth it for me. One takeaway from this book, is our Heavenly Father is very aware of us as individuals, and that He cares about us. I think right now with everything that is happening in the world people need to understand this...but you need to make the first step.
10 people found this helpful
on September 20, 2017
It always strengthens my faith to read of people's experiences of heaven and then coming back and telling what they've seen and heard. Dr. Mary seems to be a very humble person as she tells us of visiting with angels and Jesus. I was also very touched as she tells about the loss of her son, Willie. I have also lost a child. The emotions she shared as they were healing their grief were so real to me. I look forward so much to seeing my son, Ian when it is my time to go to Heaven to be with our Lord.
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 1, 2018
I loved this book. I think what struck me most significant is that Mary describes how glorious it was and how she didn't want to come back. And the fact that she sees the world from a scientific viewpoint, yet she had to admit that she did leave her body and experience the afterlife. If you're a believer in Jesus Christ, you'll just nod your head all the way through because you will know that everything she says lines up with what you've experienced. If you're a skeptic, please give God a chance. Don't just exist on this earth but really live, and ask God to prove to you that He is real, and if you do it with a sincere heart, you will see why 2.3 billion of us are believers. He will astound you and you will feel His presence and His love. Everything in Dr. Mary Neal's book can be summed up in God's love for us, He does not want us to be afraid of the afterlife, and even though she had a wonderful husband, good job and children she loved, the incredible sense of peace and joy and love made her not want to come back. In fact, in order to live in this world, she had to force herself not to dwell on the glory she experienced. At the beginning she sums up my sentiments exactly: "I dedicate this book to God. You gave me life and I live for your glory."
2 people found this helpful
on April 9, 2017
This book was beautiful, positive, uplifting, and inspiring. Absolutely love this book. It really changes the way I think about my own life and its perspective. I recently lost someone extremely close to me, and this book has really helped. Things I've always wondered about, I found some answers. Dr. Neal is a very inspiring and positive woman. Thank you so much for writing this book and God Bless you.
6 people found this helpful
on October 18, 2017
Dr. Mary Neal has lived a seemingly good life. That is until the day she died and then came back. The fact that she is alive is nothing short of a miracle. In her book she talks about the experience and of her conversations with an angel and what God expects of her as a Christian. The book is inspirational and I’m glad I read it. It gives me insight into God’s love for all of us.
5 people found this helpful
on June 20, 2017
I found this book to be so inspirational. This is a true book written by a doctor who does not believe in the after life. I couldn't put it down and it was so heart warming to know that the author had the experience of heaven. Talking with her patients who had a the fortunate experience of dying and going to Heaven deepened my faith in a second life. Everybody should read this book. I believe these experiences happen so the people who do come back from death can tell the world about God and Heaven. It is so up lifting and gives us all hope for a better place then this world.
on August 26, 2016
I just finished To Heaven and Back by Dr. Mary Neal. I have read several books on NDEs and found Dr. Neal’s story interesting although I prefer accounts that are not heavily influenced by religion. Why? Because Heaven is accessible to everyone, regardless of faith or belief. God has many faces and many names. And before the thought enters your mind, I am not in any way a follower of New Age philosophy. In fact, I avoid such material. I shook my head at many of the critical reviews; people professing to be Christians, basically calling Dr. Neal deceptive, a liar and a shameful exploiter. I admit, I am very curious how you came to such conclusions; beside the fact you did not like her story. Do you know Dr. Neal personally? I find it quite interesting that many negative commentators mention the Bible and scripture. Sadly, I have to wonder if they have forgotten John 8:7, Luke 6:37 and Matthew 7: 3-5? Regarding the complaints of her brief description of her NDE, Dr. Neal offers an explanation that is a common thread of many NDE accounts; the words available to us do not adequately describe the experience. The colors, the music, the light, the emotions, everything of that rapturous tableau, earthly words can NOT describe. You may want to visit Dr. Jeffrey Long’s website; [...], where you can read hundreds of NDE stories. You may enjoy the compelling story Dying To Be Me by Anita Moorjani. Both Ms. Moorjani and Dr. Neal refer to the tapestry; each author describes it in a similar fashion. I also recommend a beautiful book titled Opening Heaven’s Door by Patricia Pearson. Before reading additional NDE accounts; many which are not Christian based, I advise my fellow Christians to drop your stone or remove the log lodged in your eye. Peace be with you.
16 people found this helpful
on October 17, 2012
Mary, thank you for writing this wonderful book about your NDE and how it changed your life. It took a lot of courage from you, especially since you appear to be,and you describe yourself as a very private person. The fact that you are a very specialized orthopedic surgeon, adds to the credibility of the story. You seem to have a great reputation in that field and in your community, so I am sure you would not make up stories to get attention, and risk that. You don't need to. Your life is already nearly perfect.

I've been reluctant to purchase "Heaven is for Real", since it is the story of a child's encounter with heaven, and it would be hard for me to assess how much of it was real, how much of it was in the child's imagination, and how much of it might have come from his father and other adults influencing the child. I purchased your book because I am a terrible skeptic, but your credentials gave me confidence.

I had to read all the one star reviews to find out why some people could be so disappointed with this book. I seem to understand a little better now:

The actual trip to heaven must have taken less than a few minutes, given the fact that you're still here, and did not suffer any brain damage. Thank God for that! Therefore, there wasn't a whole lot of detail to be said. But what you did say is very reassuring. There is definitely life after death, and it will be a joyous wonderful life! We won't want to come back, once we are there.

As for the conversations with the angel (or Jesus, if it was Jesus, which could very well be. Didn't you ask his name? I think I would have). You said you spoke at length with him, on two occasions. Most of us were hanging on your every word, to see if you could share the answers you were given, but they were very vague. Given that tremendous opportunity, if any of us could talk to Jesus or an angel, what would we ask? I can make a pretty long list myself. For example, times have changed a lot since the bible was written. How does God feel TODAY about issues that fill us with doubt, fear and anxiety, such as divorce, abortion, birth control, war, homosexuality, lust, greed, selfishness, justice, etc. Here is a topic that weighs heavily on my mind: Pain and disease. Why do some people heal and some don't. Why are the lucky ones lucky? Not that I'm calling you lucky. You studied hard, you worked hard. You deserve your success. Yes compared to most of us, you are an over-achiever and some people may resent that. On the other hand, losing a child is probably the hardest thing for most people to endure. No one envies you for that. Your experience may have helped you understand it a little better, but I'm sure it was painful just the same. I believe you were blessed in many ways, and the fact that you always trusted God probably had a lot to do with it. There are many times that my trust gets replaced with doubt and anger, and I just have to remember to ask God to help me believe more, trust more. Your book taught me three very important lessons that I hope to remember for the rest of my life. The three verses of the bible that you read in your hospital room.

God bless you Mary, and many, many thanks!

I'm glad that you were able to share with us all that you did. If you think of any answers to my above questions, please don't hesitate to comment.
9 people found this helpful
on December 5, 2016
To Heaven and Back is a moving memoir by Dr. Mary Neal. The book reflects on the miraculous events of Neal’s life and how they tied into her stirring spiritual journey.
The most gripping and page-turning sections of the book were when Dr. Neal described the unbelievable events in her life. She has several near-death experiences and faces many tragedies. Not only are the stories remarkable, but the connection back to God after every trial is inspiring. Her struggles served to strengthen her faith and see how truly present God is in our lives.
While the book has the extraordinary events of Dr. Neal’s lifetime included, it also addresses everyday common struggles faced by many of us today. Neal’s book focuses a great deal on the challenges she faced throughout her life with her relationships, career, and her family. With her busy and ambitious lifestyle, Neal found she often had a hard time knowing what God was to her, and where He fit into her life. If you find yourself struggling to know who God is and what he means to you, this book may resonate with you. I would specifically recommend this book to parents, as Dr. Neal references her experiences with parenting often throughout the book. The relatability of many of the struggles Dr. Neal describes throughout her life make it a book anyone can enjoy and take something away from.
on August 8, 2017
I love this book. As I get older and as a believer I know that I have lived longer on earth than I will live here in the future. My eternal destiny is heaven promised by my Lord and savior Jesus. I am more and more interested in reading about my eternal home. Dr. Neal experienced this place called heaven but was sent back to earth for a reason. Her story is remarkable. Being a fellow physician I can confirm all the medical facts she states her book. She was dead - not just dreaming. She did miraculously come back to life. Life it's self is a miracle. We were put on this earth for a reason. Her story has helped me to focus on what God wants me to do here on earth before I also visit heaven some day.