Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,076 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,481 reviews
I have recently read numerous volumes on near death experiences and I purchased this 222 page soft cover book (To Heaven and Back: A doctor’s extraordinary account of her death, heaven, angles, and life again by Mary C. Neal, MD) for a bargain price on Amazon.

The cover claims this book was a “#1 New York Times bestseller” which really surprised me. For me this was the worst book I ever read on near-death experiences. The author is a medical doctor and this book gives basically the story of her life, which for the most part she was clearly concerned with God and religion more than anything else. In fact, this is clearly a book primarily about the author's personal life and her belief in a supreme being. I guess this demonstrates that even if an individual has been scientifically trained as a medical doctor you can still turn into a religious fanatic. This book is organized into 33 mostly short chapters and covers the following topics:

The early years, spinning out of control, Mexico, spiritual reawakening, God is faithful, an attitude of joy, God shouts when necessary, breaking the bonds, an adventure in Chile, death on the river, my rescue, going home, angels by the river, return to Wyoming, the power of prayer, clarity of vision, conversing with an angel, the patient care unit, my physical recovery, Bob, my beloved George, inspiration to others, God rolls the stone away, Willi, Bill, Chad, compulsion to write, the longest day of the year, my beautiful son, the other side of time, gifts of compassion, perfect timing, and logical conclusions. There is also a question and answer section at the end of the book.

If you consider yourself a very religious person you probably will love this book; however, if you are a scientific minded person who believes in using reason, logic and the scientific method this book gives absolutely no compelling evidence her heavenly experience was real even though this is supposed to be “a true story.”

Rating: 2 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Tactical Principles of the most effective combative systems).
on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,054 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2016
I was very disappointed with this book as she mentions almost nothing about her Heavenly experience. It is a brief quick few pages. This is the fifth time I have purchase a heaven account book and have had the same disappointing experience. I feel these authors are just out to make a buck. I wish I had the money to sue Mary C Neal for the false advertising. This book is about her experiences before and after her brief supposed heavenly encounter. I advise everyone DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. There are about two pages about heaven and most of it is not very detailed. I will also ask Amazon for my money back. It's wrong to make money in this way. Lying about the content of a book.
on December 5, 2016
To Heaven and Back is a moving memoir by Dr. Mary Neal. The book reflects on the miraculous events of Neal’s life and how they tied into her stirring spiritual journey.
The most gripping and page-turning sections of the book were when Dr. Neal described the unbelievable events in her life. She has several near-death experiences and faces many tragedies. Not only are the stories remarkable, but the connection back to God after every trial is inspiring. Her struggles served to strengthen her faith and see how truly present God is in our lives.
While the book has the extraordinary events of Dr. Neal’s lifetime included, it also addresses everyday common struggles faced by many of us today. Neal’s book focuses a great deal on the challenges she faced throughout her life with her relationships, career, and her family. With her busy and ambitious lifestyle, Neal found she often had a hard time knowing what God was to her, and where He fit into her life. If you find yourself struggling to know who God is and what he means to you, this book may resonate with you. I would specifically recommend this book to parents, as Dr. Neal references her experiences with parenting often throughout the book. The relatability of many of the struggles Dr. Neal describes throughout her life make it a book anyone can enjoy and take something away from.
on December 4, 2016
The profound autobiography, To Heaven and Back, written by accomplished author, Mary C. Neal, MD played a tremendous role in the restoration of my faith. Neal impeccably describes her close encounters with God while addressing fluctuations in faith she experienced following each divine intervention. While the majority of readers have not experienced a near-death experience, many can relate to Neal’s raw, vulnerable portrayal of family life filled with love, loss, and the Lord. I recommend this memoir to individuals who may be struggling with their faith. The magnitude of God’s adoration for his children is unmistakable throughout the novel. To some, the content of this autobiography may seem farfetched or unrealistic, however, this account truly highlights the miraculous workings of God. Neal includes graphic details during the recollection of her accident, so individuals who tend to be squeamish may find parts of her novel disturbing. Currently, I am in school to become a registered nurse, so I find Neal’s orthopedic profession quite mesmerizing. The medical aspects scattered throughout the story only added to the intrigue I experienced. Accompanied by a myriad of emotions, this novel genuinely feels as though the Holy Spirit is interlaced between the paragraphs of each page.
on May 16, 2017
I did not like this book because of the lack of focus on heaven and jumping around in the story of different people in Dr. Neal's life during her recovery and life. Unlike many other Heaven stories this book doesn't talk hardly at all about Heaven. Dr. Neal started with the beginning of her life and spent a third of the book on that part of her life before the accident. This book was well organized but too long and misleading to readers that are reading for the afterlife story. She also spends another third of the book talking about her relationship with many of her family members in separate sections. The title gives a false hope of the story and insight into heaven. I would suggest this to a person that is interested in the story of a doctor and her recovery from injure and how it affects her relationship this others. This could be helpful for someone that knows or is in a similar situation as Dr. Neal. If you want an easy read that engages you through the whole book this is not the book for you. Before ordering this book make sure you understand that it's a story of life not death.
on December 5, 2016
The Book To Heaven and Back by Mary C. Neal is a book that will always keep you on your toes. Mary experienced many life ending moments and took those moments and wrote a book on it. From her own life to her child’s Mary is no doubt tested in her faith but stays strong through it all. This book is about Mary’s faith journey, and her fight through the bad experiences she has faced in her life. Reading this book has me thinking about my faith and situations that I’ve encountered. Trying to understand that maybe we’re here because others need us and there is reason why miracles happen to us.
When reading this book, you have to remind yourself that it was written by a doctor not a novelist. It’s a quick easy read, not sure if its quick because personally I couldn’t put it down or if it was just that easy to read. This book could be the start to someone’s faith story. Dr. Mary brings together science and her life as a doctor with faith and her life with Jesus. I would recommend this book to anyone who is questioning God and his abilities, questioning why God does certain things to us, and questioning themselves on why they are here still today.
on December 5, 2016
Neal gives insight into her faith and relationship with Jesus Christ and goes on to tell how she died. She also shares her background about how she grew up and her love for her career. She explains almost every detail about that day, and describes what she felt as she was drowning. After her death, she reflects on how her life and faith were never going to be the same anymore. Neal is a neurosurgeon who places her life in Jesus’ hands as her purpose for life unravels before her.
I really enjoyed this book! I could sit and read it all in one sitting, engaged in every page. I would say it even deepened my faith and got me really excited for eternal life. It was interesting to read what life after death was like. Neal made sure she was reflective about everything, which brought perspective and understanding. I would recommend this book to those who want a good read, a meaningful read or if they’re wavering in their faith. Neal shares her struggle about finding her purpose and for those who are wondering what their purpose is, this is a good book to change a perspective or to find a perspective.
on September 2, 2015
This was my second reading on NDE(near death experience). I found this book is basically composed of two parts; the author’s main personal event and a bit stretched memoir of her son’s death. The first part, which unravels her trip to Peru surviving a tragic accident, is interesting, yet relatively short. And the second part reads more like her self-healing or psychotherapeutic statement over the loss of her dear son. Ironically, I felt her emotions were even stronger in the latter part, where she still seems struggling with haunting memories surrounding her son’s death. Overall, I felt like half of the book is about the event that general readers, like me, might be interested. And the other half could have been better if kept private to her family, friends or even her personal diary. But don’t quote me wrong on this. The second part still unreservedly shows we are only humans, even after a colossal spiritual awakening.
on September 18, 2014
I also had a similar drowning experience...with similar results. I didn't suffer from any of the injuries that the author did, other than the inhalation of water. I was swimming in shoulder deep water when my leg cramped up so badly that I was unable to swim or even stand up. Within a very short time the other leg cramped up also. I had always thought that the will to survive would enable the potential to swim to shore. I was very wrong !! The pain was so intense that with both legs drawn up...I was unable to do anything, but sink to the bottom. I was sure no one saw me go under. I began to panic when the oxygen was depleting from my body and all attempts to surface, swim or stand were useless. When I accepted that it was over and inhaled water...a sense of calmness and peace took over. I, too saw the white light and a feeling of total serenity. There was also a very reassuring voice telling me that I was going to be OK. It was beautiful !!! The next thing I knew...I was on the shore coughing, choking and sputtering with people yelling "Breathe !!!" I was OK !!! 18 years old...embarrassed...but alive !!!! I didn't tell many people about it because I didn't think they would believe me. Do I believe Dr. Deals story ??? ABSOLUTELY !!! I, also was told that it wasn't my time to go yet, and to go back and tell what happened. That was 50 yrs ago. It is so great to have people fulfilling their mission....and I am so thankful that I had and survived the experience. Believe ??? Thank you GOD ....for sparing and SAVING me. Amen