Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2018
Wish the book had more of an in-depth description of the NDE but it was worth reading and it was a somewhat unique NDE. I saw this story on TV, but the book account was a little different. I would say more accurate because of detail the TV account did not give.
on December 18, 2017
Was dissatisfied. Comparatively, Dr. Parif's book re: NDE is much better.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2017
I loved this book. I was so glad the Author finally decided to write it. It opens a window to our future. A must read for all believers.
on October 13, 2017
Reading this account will touch you with the ways God has shown up in your life all along. We are so loved.
on November 9, 2017
An interesting read, but not as moving as I had hoped.
on December 20, 2017
Always love to hear about Heaven. Highly recommend
on August 30, 2012
I have to admit, that I really wanted to get to the part of the book where she experienced Heaven, so I read ahead, but then realized that it's probably best to start from the beginning.

Although, as some other reviewers have noted, that most of the book is about her other life experiences it also details other struggles, tragedies and potential life threatening situations where God had a hand in helping her. As for the leftist political affiliations, I just ignore that part and if she honestly only wrote about her Heaven experience and visits with angels (or as she felt, Jesus) then it wouldn't be long enough for a book (in my opinion). And maybe some of it was added to honor her son.

I personally will always find it amazing how when some people are faced with tragedy, then can still walk away feeling that there is a God who is watching over them and it's all just part of a greater plan.
on December 7, 2017
Really really loved this book. Quick interesting read.
on December 14, 2017
This was a great read and powerful testimony! I’ve taken some great lessons from Dr. Neal’s book. I just lan in reading her follow up book as well.