Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
1,107 helpful votes
1,108 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on November 2, 2017
I loved and believe every single thing about this book. I haven't died and come back but I've had many experiences in my life that I know have come from a loving Heavenly Father. Especially with the loss of my son. The comfort and spiritual guidance I received could only come from God. Thank you Mary for this precious book that only reinforced what I already knew to be true.
on December 1, 2016
I have been reading afterlife books for over 20 years. This is one of the worst books I have read on this topic. If you are expecting a glimpse of the afterlife, you will be sadly disappointed. The title is horribly misleading. To Heaven and Back? A normal person would assume this book would reveal a few secrets of Heaven. Not so. The author claimed to visit Heaven and the angels say, it's not your time. Then she goes back. That's IT! Then she writes a book on her ‘experience.’ What experience?

That would be like flying to Africa, landing, and taking the next flight home 30 minutes later. Then writing a book entitled, ’My Journey to Africa.’ That's basically what this author did. Highly fraudulent.

The book is horribly boring. It's mostly Bible Filler. Another reviewer said the same thing -- ‘too much filler.’ Another wrote, ‘Little to do with Heaven.’ Another said, she wrote ‘almost nothing about Heaven.’ Another said -- ‘The author promised much, delivered little.’

If you really want a glimpse of Heaven, there are far better books out there. Start with Betty Eadie's book, ‘Embraced by the Light.’ A masterpiece. Then read George Ritchie's book ‘Return from Tomorrow.’ It's an eternal classic. I read this once a year, and I am on the edge of my seat each time. Then read, Dannion Brinkley's book, ‘Saved by the Light.’ Brinkley has three books. They are all great!. I love that guy.

Then read, ‘The Soul's Remembrance’ by Roy Mills. Not many know about this book. A spiritual masterpiece. Roy writes about the Prayer Room in Heaven -- where ALL prayers are heard and evaluated. This is the only book I know of that discusses the Prayer Room. One other great book is ‘I Saw Heaven.’ by Arthur E. Yensen. This book is all heart and soul. It's about his spiritual experience that happened in 1932. As Arthur wrote, ‘Heaven is the Real Life -- and worry is the most foolish thing you can do! Don't worry about what happens to you while on earth, but concentrate on how you live and develop spiritually.’ The book is an eternal treasure. Hard to find.

You read these books, and you will get a great idea of what Heaven is like. God bless you.
73 helpful votes
74 helpful votes
66 comments|Report abuse
on November 2, 2017
I like the way she writes. I believe in God but have a hard time defending my faith in objective ways. Others don't believe that I can know without seeing. Dr. Neal says to look at major events in your life and detail the "coincidences that just happened" that brought that event to life. After that happens over and over and over, you can see God's hand in your life and have faith.
on October 26, 2017
This book is a must for anyone ... spiritual or not. It surpassed my expectations and will forever change my own journey of faith.
on October 15, 2017
Found Dr. Mark's book very interesting and informative. Look forward to reading her next book "The Seven Lessons Learned in Heaven."
on March 29, 2014
Dr. Neal gives a heartfelt memoir of her life experiences as well as the account of her near-death, out of body experiences. It is a fascinating story; a testament to her faith. It's not preachy, but it does invite thought and provide inspiration for living a life of fulfillment and joy. I found that the later chapters held a different tone, not as cogent. I feel this may be a reflection of difficult adjustments in her life I (don't want to be a spoiler). Dr. Neal does bring her story back to on track before the conclusion. Text is easy to read, very clearly written, short chapters. Nice organization for people that may have only short periods of time for pleasure reading. I recommend it.
2 helpful votes
on July 22, 2014
Mary Neal lets the reader in on her extraordinary adventure into Heaven after a horrible kayaking accident in which she nearly drowned. The story is intensely personal and she opens up her heart about God and His messengers and what she learned about the soul. It is interesting to hear her perspective. She is a doctor and admits that scientists tend to be the most skeptical regarding spiritual experiences. Nevertheless she bravely commits to telling her story which reminds us to look for how God is working our lives each day. I really enjoyed her writing style too. Note: I was glad to see that Some of the proceeds from the sale of the book go to charity.
2 helpful votes
on October 28, 2017
I loved this book. I was so glad the Author finally decided to write it. It opens a window to our future. A must read for all believers.
on August 17, 2013
Let me just say I opened this book very excited to hear about her experience. As I began to read, the way she structured telling her life story and just her general writing style didn't really capture my attention very well. But I kept reading on, trying so hard to like this book. I tried, but I couldn't. The way she tells the story is very choppy - many times out of order going back and forth - this works sometimes but not her case. It seemed very disorganized. As other people reviewing the book have also said, it feels almost robotic, the words are there but the emotions aren't. Maybe this is just her style of writing due to her profession and what she learned in Med school.. I'm not sure. Either way, this is more of a very bland autobiography of her entire life rather than her experience and how it changed her.

The actual time spent describing her experience in "Heaven" was also extremely short. I put "Heaven" in quotes because to me she experienced the spiritual world, but didn't seem to actually experience Heaven (not that she wasn't saved - but just didn't actually make it that far because it wasn't her time). To sum it up, after she dies she's met by humans in their spiritual form while she's looking down at her body. They begin traveling away from the Earth and end up at a Tunnel of Light - one that she describes is the final tunnel between Earth and Heaven. Well, she is told before actually traveling through the tunnel that it isn't her time and she must be go back. There was no actual Heaven, God, Christ, or Angels. She did describe the heightened senses and the intense love she felt as a spiritual being, but again she didn't actually to go to Heaven. I think her experience was amazing and I pray that she's able to reach as many people as she can through it, but I felt the title of the book was a bit misleading.
5 helpful votes