Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,081 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,488 reviews
on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,072 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2015
What's not to love about this story. My teenage daughter borrowed this book from me, and I was pleasantly surprised when I went to retrieve it and found that she had placed post it notes on all her favorite parts. I have read this novel on three separate occasions and each time, my daughter reminds me NOT to remove her post it notes. She is currently in her freshman year of college, and yes... she took To Heaven and Back along with her. Sometimes someone else's experiences and journeys are all you need to be reminded that there is a reason and purpose for everything. I found great comfort in this story and knowing that it has brought so much insight to my daughter, makes the purchase more than worth it.
on July 11, 2012
Other reviewers state that the title "To Heaven and Back", is not an appropriate title for this book by Dr. Mary Neal. This title does describe the main purpose of the book. I believe that Dr. Neal's story, before and after the accident, is appropriate in explaining who she is; as well as her spiritual status before and after. The other stories involving her survival of a vehicle accident, her relationship with her parents/step-father, her son's premonition of his own death are supportive accounts to God's work in Dr. Neal's life as well as an indication of her faith through such difficult times. In my experience, one such incident in your life, will open a person's eyes to the many ways of God in even the small events of our lives. Many people just fail to open their minds to miracles.

The reason I bought the book: A beautiful young lady died last month in a kayaking accident in South America. I was searching for the news article when I came across the FOX news interview with Dr. Neal and her accident in 1999. You can see Dr. Neal's smile and enthusiasm is genuine. Her insistence that the accident was not "horrific" and was a "gift of joy" touched my soul. THEN, I discovered she had written a book. It is a simple read and in my opinion at a good length in which to encourage those that do not read often, to give the book a try.

Reading this book is inspiring because of Dr. Neal's experience in spiritual events that do give hope, wander, and promise (using these words from the video that accompanies this book's add). I do not believe this book is meant to argue on Christianity, the Bible, or any specific religion. Dr. Neal's story does encourage my faith in God which I believe would be God's purpose of such miracles; as well as to grow spiritually. She is sharing her life experience in death and the afterlife, not preaching a sermon.
on April 27, 2013
I have read this book and encountered some of the same spiritual experiences that happened to Mary. Though I did not die, but deeply saddened because of a divorce. What spiritual experiences I encountered during that marriage and after it is still fresh in my mind. Everything on earth seemed to change for me then. I wanted to learn more about it. I found Mary's book very honest in similar experiences. Though it is true about the "forks in the road". In a way it's like leaving "Paradise" when you take the wrong fork. I believe what she wrote about is very true. Angels and guides are real! So is heaven!!
on January 25, 2013
I have experienced NDE three times and met one other person. "Sherry P” who knew that I had one, without learning it from me.

I did not share my experience with anyone that could have told Sherry.
Her experience was long before mine and by far more intense.
Sherry P, I learned from Dr. Neal is an Angel.

Sherry’s appearance taught me that I was stable that what I experienced was not a fever-induced hallucination.

The last NDE was March 2012 after radical Denture surgery and the prescribed pain medication I witnessed what my Satan looks like.

I am in my opinion a most Blessed man because I was truly protected by God in that spiritual encounter I felt and feel no fear.

This happened by a true life Angel, my daughter. She fought Satan's spiritual magnetism using her spiritual magnetism from God. God's Angel prevailed. I was in the arms of an Angel.

During my recovery from the issues that triggered the NDE, I learned from a FOX News interview featuring Doctor Neal about her Book. Her "witnessing.” I placed my first of several orders with Amazon.

Her works led me to more solid clarity about the Angels and Demons that are among us at all times.

I have given or sent her inspiring works to several people some I have never met but learned about through people who were in retrospect more Demonic than Angelic, I do not Judge. I have suggested Dr. Neal’s Book on FB. to commenters I feel need guided introspection

Dr. Alexander's {Also an Angel} Witnessing including his subsequent practices of meditation instructed me on how to pursue my purpose, as I believe God Intends.

My mission I believe is to reach out to Gods prized Earthly creations, “Humans” to teach them to learn their path to self-enlighten., God’s purpose for them.

Most importantly, I learned not to judge, who to reach out to, in that
God created us in his own image; therefore, the spirit of God resides in every person. A spirit that simply needs an awaking an epiphany.

Gods “will” be done unto them as it was to me. We are each free without condemnation to choose.
on July 6, 2017
This book really changed my life. I hadn't felt that god loved me or I couldn't grasp how much. This book has helped me to see and acknowledge his love. Will read over and over.
on July 9, 2013
I had started this book, and had about 30 pages left. That same week we had just found out that our sons good friend age 26 had passed away and his mother found him at home in bed. On Friday morning I woke up early and had to be at work at 1p for my shift at a pharmacist. I felt a strong urging to read the book so I read 10 pages and put it down to get dressed and do some housework. Again I felt that I should stop my plans and read the book so I went outside on the deck in the back yard and started to read. As I was finishing the books last page, I heard music over the fence and thought I needed to find out what song it was. I walked to the neighbors yard and their son had his Ipod on the roof and was cleaning the gutters. He said it was a song called Either Way by Wilco. I came in and looked it up on Google/youtube and thought it was nice. I then looked at the facebook page of the boy that died and clicked his blog. His last post from the month prior was that he saw a Wilco concert and they rocked his socks. I told the family at the visitation/funeral and got them a copy of the book. I am hoping it will provide them with comfort.
My review of the book is to read it for yourself and make your own conclusions. It is worth your time (your only true resource).
on July 29, 2012
I didn't really expect to like this book, but I couldn't put it down. I've read enough near-death experiences and stories of the afterlife that I didn't really think this book would be much different. In fact, after I purchased it I sort of wondered why. I am not sure what was so different about this particular book--maybe it was just the way Dr. Neal told it. Maybe it seemed more personal than most of the others I have read. It might have been that I found it more believable than some of the other accounts, or that it brought out a few things that I knew but had forgotten (such as that if something is meant to happen it happens easily. If it isn't, then you can force it all you want and get pretty much nowhere). At any rate, I found it to be extremely helpful. I liked it so much on my Kindle that I bought a paperback version for my husband. While it is not in his usual genre, he really enjoyed the book too and (to my surprise, almost shock!) finished it within a couple of days. Dr. Neal mentioned that part of her calling is to tell other people about heaven and to use her experiences to help us realize that life is so much more than what we experience in this world. I believe she has achieved that goal. I don't recommend a lot of books, but I definitely recommend this one. I think you will too.
on December 29, 2012
My husband has been fighting stage 4 lung cancer for three months and my faith has been severely challenged but this book has given me the knowledge that I need to begin rejoicing in the challenges that God has put in front of my husband and I. Even though I pray for my husband's remission, I know that if it is God's will that remission will happen. If remission is not God's will then we will accept what his plan is for us and pray, pray and pray.
on January 10, 2013
I love these kinds of books - real people living a life that has great setbacks and difficulty - yet, they find ways to inspire and give hope to others. Dr. Mary Neal's life experiences are well worth sharing. I was pleased that she wrote the book that gives her readers hope in their own lives. I read the book very quickly - could not put it down. I saw great love in her personal story even though it came at a high price to the author.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for meaning in their lives.

If you found this book of interest you might also want to read these two books that I found worthy of sharing:

"Divine Moments: Ordinary People having Spiritually Transformative Experiences" by Nancy Clark

Divine Moments; Ordinary People Having Spiritually Transformative Experiences

"Voyage Of Purpose: Spiritual Wisdom from Near-Death back to Life" by David bennett and Cindy Griffith-Bennett[

Voyage of Purpose: Spiritual Wisdom from Near-Death back to Life