Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,064 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,467 reviews
on August 26, 2016
I just finished To Heaven and Back by Dr. Mary Neal. I have read several books on NDEs and found Dr. Neal’s story interesting although I prefer accounts that are not heavily influenced by religion. Why? Because Heaven is accessible to everyone, regardless of faith or belief. God has many faces and many names. And before the thought enters your mind, I am not in any way a follower of New Age philosophy. In fact, I avoid such material. I shook my head at many of the critical reviews; people professing to be Christians, basically calling Dr. Neal deceptive, a liar and a shameful exploiter. I admit, I am very curious how you came to such conclusions; beside the fact you did not like her story. Do you know Dr. Neal personally? I find it quite interesting that many negative commentators mention the Bible and scripture. Sadly, I have to wonder if they have forgotten John 8:7, Luke 6:37 and Matthew 7: 3-5? Regarding the complaints of her brief description of her NDE, Dr. Neal offers an explanation that is a common thread of many NDE accounts; the words available to us do not adequately describe the experience. The colors, the music, the light, the emotions, everything of that rapturous tableau, earthly words can NOT describe. You may want to visit Dr. Jeffrey Long’s website; [...], where you can read hundreds of NDE stories. You may enjoy the compelling story Dying To Be Me by Anita Moorjani. Both Ms. Moorjani and Dr. Neal refer to the tapestry; each author describes it in a similar fashion. I also recommend a beautiful book titled Opening Heaven’s Door by Patricia Pearson. Before reading additional NDE accounts; many which are not Christian based, I advise my fellow Christians to drop your stone or remove the log lodged in your eye. Peace be with you.
on December 1, 2016
I have been reading afterlife books for over 20 years. This is one of the worst books I have read on this topic. If you are expecting a glimpse of the afterlife, you will be sadly disappointed. The title is horribly misleading. To Heaven and Back? A normal person would assume this book would reveal a few secrets of Heaven. Not so. The author claimed to visit Heaven and the angels say, it's not your time. Then she goes back. That's IT! Then she writes a book on her ‘experience.’ What experience?

That would be like flying to Africa, landing, and taking the next flight home 30 minutes later. Then writing a book entitled, ’My Journey to Africa.’ That's basically what this author did. Highly fraudulent.

The book is horribly boring. It's mostly Bible Filler. Another reviewer said the same thing -- ‘too much filler.’ Another wrote, ‘Little to do with Heaven.’ Another said, she wrote ‘almost nothing about Heaven.’ Another said -- ‘The author promised much, delivered little.’

If you really want a glimpse of Heaven, there are far better books out there. Start with Betty Eadie's book, ‘Embraced by the Light.’ A masterpiece. Then read George Ritchie's book ‘Return from Tomorrow.’ It's an eternal classic. I read this once a year, and I am on the edge of my seat each time. Then read, Dannion Brinkley's book, ‘Saved by the Light.’ Brinkley has three books. They are all great!. I love that guy.

Then read, ‘The Soul's Remembrance’ by Roy Mills. Not many know about this book. A spiritual masterpiece. Roy writes about the Prayer Room in Heaven -- where ALL prayers are heard and evaluated. This is the only book I know of that discusses the Prayer Room. One other great book is ‘I Saw Heaven.’ by Arthur E. Yensen. This book is all heart and soul. It's about his spiritual experience that happened in 1932. As Arthur wrote, ‘Heaven is the Real Life -- and worry is the most foolish thing you can do! Don't worry about what happens to you while on earth, but concentrate on how you live and develop spiritually.’ The book is an eternal treasure. Hard to find.

You read these books, and you will get a great idea of what Heaven is like. God bless you.
44 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
5150+ comments| 1,051 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
I found this book to be so inspirational. This is a true book written by a doctor who does not believe in the after life. I couldn't put it down and it was so heart warming to know that the author had the experience of heaven. Talking with her patients who had a the fortunate experience of dying and going to Heaven deepened my faith in a second life. Everybody should read this book. I believe these experiences happen so the people who do come back from death can tell the world about God and Heaven. It is so up lifting and gives us all hope for a better place then this world.
on April 9, 2017
This book was beautiful, positive, uplifting, and inspiring. Absolutely love this book. It really changes the way I think about my own life and its perspective. I recently lost someone extremely close to me, and this book has really helped. Things I've always wondered about, I found some answers. Dr. Neal is a very inspiring and positive woman. Thank you so much for writing this book and God Bless you.
on February 1, 2016
It's difficult to put into words without being unkind. The writer is obviously a very kind hearted, well educated person. But if you think you're going to get some big Heaven/Jesus "fix" from this book you aren't. By no means am I saying she's lying. But her brief (appearing) conversations "with Jesus" or "an angel" were simply boring to me. Plus, she put in too much "filler" I'll call it like talking on and on about uninteresting matters like a very long diatribe about canoeing, rapids and life jackets.
I'm not an Evangelical but if you want a REAL religious fix try reading, "Good Morning, Holy Spirit." That book was hard to put down. This one is a struggle to read for me, at least.
on October 17, 2012
Mary, thank you for writing this wonderful book about your NDE and how it changed your life. It took a lot of courage from you, especially since you appear to be,and you describe yourself as a very private person. The fact that you are a very specialized orthopedic surgeon, adds to the credibility of the story. You seem to have a great reputation in that field and in your community, so I am sure you would not make up stories to get attention, and risk that. You don't need to. Your life is already nearly perfect.

I've been reluctant to purchase "Heaven is for Real", since it is the story of a child's encounter with heaven, and it would be hard for me to assess how much of it was real, how much of it was in the child's imagination, and how much of it might have come from his father and other adults influencing the child. I purchased your book because I am a terrible skeptic, but your credentials gave me confidence.

I had to read all the one star reviews to find out why some people could be so disappointed with this book. I seem to understand a little better now:

The actual trip to heaven must have taken less than a few minutes, given the fact that you're still here, and did not suffer any brain damage. Thank God for that! Therefore, there wasn't a whole lot of detail to be said. But what you did say is very reassuring. There is definitely life after death, and it will be a joyous wonderful life! We won't want to come back, once we are there.

As for the conversations with the angel (or Jesus, if it was Jesus, which could very well be. Didn't you ask his name? I think I would have). You said you spoke at length with him, on two occasions. Most of us were hanging on your every word, to see if you could share the answers you were given, but they were very vague. Given that tremendous opportunity, if any of us could talk to Jesus or an angel, what would we ask? I can make a pretty long list myself. For example, times have changed a lot since the bible was written. How does God feel TODAY about issues that fill us with doubt, fear and anxiety, such as divorce, abortion, birth control, war, homosexuality, lust, greed, selfishness, justice, etc. Here is a topic that weighs heavily on my mind: Pain and disease. Why do some people heal and some don't. Why are the lucky ones lucky? Not that I'm calling you lucky. You studied hard, you worked hard. You deserve your success. Yes compared to most of us, you are an over-achiever and some people may resent that. On the other hand, losing a child is probably the hardest thing for most people to endure. No one envies you for that. Your experience may have helped you understand it a little better, but I'm sure it was painful just the same. I believe you were blessed in many ways, and the fact that you always trusted God probably had a lot to do with it. There are many times that my trust gets replaced with doubt and anger, and I just have to remember to ask God to help me believe more, trust more. Your book taught me three very important lessons that I hope to remember for the rest of my life. The three verses of the bible that you read in your hospital room.

God bless you Mary, and many, many thanks!

I'm glad that you were able to share with us all that you did. If you think of any answers to my above questions, please don't hesitate to comment.
on October 14, 2012
I saw Mary interviewed on TV and ordered this book, thinking I'd learn something more...like WHY her son, Willy, had to die. Very little of the book was about her heavenly experience. Basically, one can start with chapter 12 to get to the 'meat' of the story . There's just too much superfluous information about her life that seems to be included just to actually MAKE a book.

I skipped so many pages just to get to the heavenly experience and finished the book in an evening. Perhaps I missed the part where the angel or Jesus explains to her why her son is going to die before the age of 18. Surely a mother would have asked WHY?? WHY must he die so early in life? WHY must you take him away from us? Did I miss that or did she never ask the question?

In the interview, she said she discussed her heavenly conversations with Willie and confirmed to him that he would die before the age of 18. That disturbed me. What mother would do that?? Maybe in my boredom with the book, I missed that explanation too.

I still think this is a book of value and that any reader will come away from it with his/her faith reinforced or validated. I would rather have borrowed it, however, than actually bought it.
on February 7, 2016
I was very disappointed with this book as she mentions almost nothing about her Heavenly experience. It is a brief quick few pages. This is the fifth time I have purchase a heaven account book and have had the same disappointing experience. I feel these authors are just out to make a buck. I wish I had the money to sue Mary C Neal for the false advertising. This book is about her experiences before and after her brief supposed heavenly encounter. I advise everyone DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. There are about two pages about heaven and most of it is not very detailed. I will also ask Amazon for my money back. It's wrong to make money in this way. Lying about the content of a book.
on December 5, 2016
To Heaven and Back is a moving memoir by Dr. Mary Neal. The book reflects on the miraculous events of Neal’s life and how they tied into her stirring spiritual journey.
The most gripping and page-turning sections of the book were when Dr. Neal described the unbelievable events in her life. She has several near-death experiences and faces many tragedies. Not only are the stories remarkable, but the connection back to God after every trial is inspiring. Her struggles served to strengthen her faith and see how truly present God is in our lives.
While the book has the extraordinary events of Dr. Neal’s lifetime included, it also addresses everyday common struggles faced by many of us today. Neal’s book focuses a great deal on the challenges she faced throughout her life with her relationships, career, and her family. With her busy and ambitious lifestyle, Neal found she often had a hard time knowing what God was to her, and where He fit into her life. If you find yourself struggling to know who God is and what he means to you, this book may resonate with you. I would specifically recommend this book to parents, as Dr. Neal references her experiences with parenting often throughout the book. The relatability of many of the struggles Dr. Neal describes throughout her life make it a book anyone can enjoy and take something away from.