Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,046 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,445 reviews
on December 1, 2016
I have been reading afterlife books for over 20 years. This is one of the worst books I have read on this topic. If you are expecting a glimpse of the afterlife, you will be sadly disappointed. The title is horribly misleading. To Heaven and Back? A normal person would assume this book would reveal a few secrets of Heaven. Not so. The author claimed to visit Heaven and the angels say, it's not your time. Then she goes back. That's IT! Then she writes a book on her ‘experience.’ What experience?

That would be like flying to Africa, landing, and taking the next flight home 30 minutes later. Then writing a book entitled, ’My Journey to Africa.’ That's basically what this author did. Highly fraudulent.

The book is horribly boring. It's mostly Bible Filler. Another reviewer said the same thing -- ‘too much filler.’ Another wrote, ‘Little to do with Heaven.’ Another said, she wrote ‘almost nothing about Heaven.’ Another said -- ‘The author promised much, delivered little.’

If you really want a glimpse of Heaven, there are far better books out there. Start with Betty Eadie's book, ‘Embraced by the Light.’ A masterpiece. Then read George Ritchie's book ‘Return from Tomorrow.’ It's an eternal classic. I read this once a year, and I am on the edge of my seat each time. Then read, Dannion Brinkley's book, ‘Saved by the Light.’ Brinkley has three books. They are all great!. I love that guy.

Then read, ‘The Soul's Remembrance’ by Roy Mills. Not many know about this book. A spiritual masterpiece. Roy writes about the Prayer Room in Heaven -- where ALL prayers are heard and evaluated. This is the only book I know of that discusses the Prayer Room. One other great book is ‘I Saw Heaven.’ by Arthur E. Yensen. This book is all heart and soul. It's about his spiritual experience that happened in 1932. As Arthur wrote, ‘Heaven is the Real Life -- and worry is the most foolish thing you can do! Don't worry about what happens to you while on earth, but concentrate on how you live and develop spiritually.’ The book is an eternal treasure. Hard to find.

You read these books, and you will get a great idea of what Heaven is like. God bless you.
on July 18, 2012
I will say that this book was well written and very easy to read. Unfortunately, like so many other NDE-type books out there, it fails to go in-depth regarding the questions and answers of what it's like after we die. I don't expect it to be a theology lesson, but let's face it, the whole reason most of us buy a book like this is to get a real glimpse of the afterlife. Without that component, it's just another basic biography. I was able to read the book in one sitting and she did answer a few questions about her afterlife experience but nothing that she hasn't already said in numerous interviews that can be found on the web. I was really hoping for something new that she hadn't already stated on television or radio. I feel that of all the NDE speakers out there, she seems to be one of the most credible and sincere in her account. If you want to save the cost of this book, I recommend just listening to her account given on a Coast-to-Coast interview which can be found on You Tube. Although the interview didn't go into her family life as much, all the basic info of her NDE can be heard in the radio interview.
33 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2016
I just finished To Heaven and Back by Dr. Mary Neal. I have read several books on NDEs and found Dr. Neal’s story interesting although I prefer accounts that are not heavily influenced by religion. Why? Because Heaven is accessible to everyone, regardless of faith or belief. God has many faces and many names. And before the thought enters your mind, I am not in any way a follower of New Age philosophy. In fact, I avoid such material. I shook my head at many of the critical reviews; people professing to be Christians, basically calling Dr. Neal deceptive, a liar and a shameful exploiter. I admit, I am very curious how you came to such conclusions; beside the fact you did not like her story. Do you know Dr. Neal personally? I find it quite interesting that many negative commentators mention the Bible and scripture. Sadly, I have to wonder if they have forgotten John 8:7, Luke 6:37 and Matthew 7: 3-5? Regarding the complaints of her brief description of her NDE, Dr. Neal offers an explanation that is a common thread of many NDE accounts; the words available to us do not adequately describe the experience. The colors, the music, the light, the emotions, everything of that rapturous tableau, earthly words can NOT describe. You may want to visit Dr. Jeffrey Long’s website; [...], where you can read hundreds of NDE stories. You may enjoy the compelling story Dying To Be Me by Anita Moorjani. Both Ms. Moorjani and Dr. Neal refer to the tapestry; each author describes it in a similar fashion. I also recommend a beautiful book titled Opening Heaven’s Door by Patricia Pearson. Before reading additional NDE accounts; many which are not Christian based, I advise my fellow Christians to drop your stone or remove the log lodged in your eye. Peace be with you.
on February 9, 2012
At the same time that Dr. Mary Neal was drowning in a river in Chile, her husband, Bill, appeared to me in a dream. Bill is an old friend of mine from high school. We had shared many adventures and confidences over the years, but neither he nor any other friend had ever stared at me in a dream and woke me up. I shook it off at the time, only to learn a few days or weeks later why I had seen him.

The story of her experiences from the drowning, through the repeated revivals and her ultimate survival are the events upon which this book is anchored. But the meat and meaning of it are in the unfolding of her life as guided and protected by her God. I'm obviously no disinterested party. Skeptics can be reassured by my report that if it came from Mary's pen, it will be the truth and the whole truth. I doubt, however, that her or anyone's personal account can penetrate fully into the modern psyche. That is, into those who think that they need proof of what we call God. As an account of a brush with the Hereafter, here have been many others similar to it, and they're well enough known to be used as shorthand in bad films.

What Mary and those like her have experienced are gifts from somewhere, given not just to them. She gives it back to us disguised as a simple offering. She doesn't baffle the reader with melodrama, hyperbole, fantasy, or excessive adjectives. She tells her story in a concise & detailed way, with a voice of eloquent and unadorned sincerity. In this way, it's easy to read and difficult to put down, vividly descriptive and completely convincing, humbling and inspiring.

Fortunately for us, she kept waking up in the middle of the night until she couldn't keep from writing it down for us. The reason to read this remarkable account is witness, which is one of the few ways that we have left to hack a little hole in our jungle of unbelief.
8484 comments| 1,049 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you are fascinated by life after life, or NDE, you will probably want to read this book. Mary Neal is a doctor, and not exceptionally religious. On a trip, she drowned and was brought back to life. She describes what happened to her, what she saw-felt-thought during the near death experience. It changed her forever. This isn't a long book, but it's an invaluable part of NDE literature, especially as Neal is a trained doctor. I have had a co-worker, mother of a friend and colleague have near death experiences and there are commonalities. Neal says you don't have to die and come back to life to learn the lessons and gain the perspective these experiences provide. With books like this one, we can learn from her experience, and others like her who have had the life after life experience. 4.5 stars
on April 9, 2017
This book was beautiful, positive, uplifting, and inspiring. Absolutely love this book. It really changes the way I think about my own life and its perspective. I recently lost someone extremely close to me, and this book has really helped. Things I've always wondered about, I found some answers. Dr. Neal is a very inspiring and positive woman. Thank you so much for writing this book and God Bless you.
on April 27, 2013
I have read this book and encountered some of the same spiritual experiences that happened to Mary. Though I did not die, but deeply saddened because of a divorce. What spiritual experiences I encountered during that marriage and after it is still fresh in my mind. Everything on earth seemed to change for me then. I wanted to learn more about it. I found Mary's book very honest in similar experiences. Though it is true about the "forks in the road". In a way it's like leaving "Paradise" when you take the wrong fork. I believe what she wrote about is very true. Angels and guides are real! So is heaven!!
on June 16, 2012
Our friend is very ill with cancer....we purchased one for him in an effort to re-enforce any concerns he may have regarding life after death. We thank the physician Dr. Mary C. Neal, who lovingly wrote of her jounrey "To Heaven and Back." And how she was touched by God in visible and very tangible ways. And for her courage to write her experiences into a book for people to gain comfort. I think this book would be a wonderful tool for those who have lost someone dear to them. It's been said you never get over a loved ones passing you just manage to get through it. from "To Heaven and Back"..could assist with this process.
on November 7, 2013
This is a great true story of a remarkable doctor who has a remarkable true story of her glimpse into heaven, her miracles on earth, and the impact those things made on her life. Dr. Neal is a highly intelligent, incredibly educated and gifted doctor who is truly believable. Even if you don't believe in life after death, what happened to her is well worth reading. I highly recommend this great book.
on November 11, 2012
Telling the story of her experience of heaven as a medical doctor adds weight to the narrative which is both amazing and believable. Her credibility is supported by mentioning the names of the people involved and her personal feelings as she went through the experience and the aftermath of months of hospitalization and rehab before being able to return to her career as an orthopedic surgeon. I thoroughly recommend it.