Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

10,296
To Kill a Mockingbird
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on December 3, 2017
I took forever to finish this book, mostly because life has been busy. First time I've done that. A very intellectually written book about a time many of us do not understand. Life has changed and keeps changing. Sometimes life changes are the hardest to absorb. How wonderful to read a book through the eyes of a child with a mind so wise, thanks to a parent ahead of his time. It is a crime to kill a mocking bird who has hurt no one But sung a song so sweet.
on October 17, 2017
Charmingly written from a child's perspective, this narration throws a great deal of light on US society and thinking at the time of the events portrayed and should cause one to reflect by way of comparison on current thinking, if not overt action in today's context. The character of the father, Atticus is wonderfully depicted, in the process demonstrating what is possible as well as meaningful in the parenting of children.
on September 10, 2014
It seems almost blasphemy to rate one of the great classic novels of the twentieth century. No number of stars, or any other measurement, can do justice to a story so full of the reminiscences of youth and events that shape us as adults. Nor can any review capture the atmosphere and the dark underbelly of the Deep South during one summer in the depression years. A story of care free youth, and dark terror, which unfolds in a pedantic, but utterly compelling fashion. The story is seen through the unflinching, and as yet uncritical, eyes of Scout. She is the six year old Tomboy sister of her brother Jem. The children of the widower, and town attorney, Atticus Finch.
It is Scout that introduces us to Maycomb, Alabama. “Maycomb was an old town . . . somehow, it was hotter then . . . men’s stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. A day was twenty-four hours long but seemed longer. There was no hurry, for there was nowhere to go, nothing to buy and no money to buy it with”. Through Scout’s eyes the reader will meet such characters as Dill Harris, the summer ward and confederate to Scout and Jem. The faded Southern bell, Mrs. Dubose. You will be drawn to the mystery of Boo Radley, the “malevolent phantom” and his curious relationship with the children.
But mostly this is the story of Atticus Finch and the trial of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of the rape of a white woman. The story of a father of gentle kindness, yet a man of unyielding ethics and moral character, pitted against the racial hatred that boils to the surface in a small southern town. Through the eyes of a child, Harper Lee lays bare the dark soul of prejudice and ignorance while at the same time dispassionately acknowledging its existence. Through the telling of the story the reader comes to understand both the good and evil that reside in us, and finally the nobility of spirit that leaves the most lasting impression. We are left enriched.
Compelling, thought provoking, poignant.
on December 6, 2015
This story is of a simpler time years ago. But "simple" comes with a cost. Simple means everything is " black and white," "right and wrong." Yet everyday people of this little town should have seen how their black and white thinking was so unevenly applied. So hypocritical. When reading this book, I felt like I was there. I guess because, like Scout, I grew up in a simpler time, hanging out with my brother as we ran about like "wild animals." Just like Jem and Scout. As a little sister, I also was touched by Jem's maturation away from the childish things that he once shared with Scout, which caused her to be lonely and sad. But she also gained a big brother who would look out for her. Such a poignant story about a sad time in American history. I am glad we have progressed since this time. The coming of age past of the story was a good uplifting balance to the incredible,y sad parts. A great novel!
on April 11, 2015
The life-changing novel of youth in a sluggish Southern town and the tectonic struggle of the heart that shook it, To Kill a Mocking Bird got to be both a moment blockbuster and a discriminating achievement when it was initially printed in 1960. It went ahead to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later bestowed the Academy Award as a -winning film Plethora of plaudits later followed.

Sympathetic , emotional and profoundly moving , To Kill a Mockingbird seethes to the bases of human conduct -to blamelessness and experience, generosity and savagery , love and scorn, puerility and tenderness. Presently with more than 25 million copies sold in print and translated in ten languages , this territorial story by a youthful Alabama lady claims all inclusive bids. Harper Lee constantly thought of her book to be a straightforward love story . Today it is viewed as a gem of American Literature. Summing up from cover to cover " Lawyers , I suppose were children once" --Charles Lamb to the last sentence " He would be there all night , and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning" says it all . IJAZ DURRANI
on March 30, 2015
This is truly one of the finest novels ever written, and in my personal top ten list. Not only is Lee's writing filled with beautiful sentences (though often stunningly economical...) the book deals with many critically important issues, even for today's reader. She examines many social issues -- race and economic inequality, sexual inequality, mental illness, child abuse, and the inequity sometimes found in our judicial system. Because the narrator is a young girl, there is still plenty of room for innocence and gentleness and humor. The novel is rich with characters with whom to fall in love, and yet none are cardboard. Characters are well developed, and many of them grow as a result of the events of the story (and therefore, hopefully, so do we.) Relationships between the characters are also masterfully portrayed, especially between father and son, and father and daughter. Lee was so far ahead of her time, it is eerie. She even includes the theme that it takes a village to raise a child (well), long before that catchphrase was coined. This should be required reading in every school district in America. I will certainly read it again and again.
on September 14, 2017
I had never read this story and only saw clips of the movie. I enjoyed this story. I live in the south and lived in Monroeville for a bit. I think I like how Jem & Scout were treated like kids but told the truth about the town and things of the world.
on September 10, 2014
I have loved this book since I first read it in Jr. High School - that was back in the day when Jr. High was 7th - 9th grade. This book is so well written, I could see Maycomb, Jem, Scout, Dill, Atticus, everything, If an author and her book can give that to the reader - it is a gift. A gift that keeps on giving 40 plus years later. I think I still have my first copy of To Kill A Mockingbird somewhere in all my stuff. I also just bought the newest softback publication of it as well as the Kindle version. In fact, I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and am currently reading it on that. If you have never read it or seen the movie with Gregory Peck as Atticus, please do so. My roommate Pam Parker agrees with everything I put here and asked me to include her agreement with this. Even with the typographical errors in the Kindle version, it still reads just like it did the first time I ever read it. Love it!
on August 6, 2015
I last read this book more than 50 years ago but with all the recent publicity about it, I thought I must see what all the fuss was about. I am so glad I did. This book is such a good read on many levels such as plot, characters, insight into the thinking of a small town in Alabama in the 30's. That it is written from the point of view of a small girl, Scout, means that Harper Lee's observations - on race, 'odd' people, smug society, puberty, sole parenthood, for example - are all the more compelling coming from the mouth of an innocent eight year old. The outcome for Tom Robinson, the black man accused of raping a white-trash girl, is inevitable but is unputdownable (if that's a word.) Atticus, Scout's father, is forward thinking in his parenting of his children - seeing them as beings worthy of respect and consideration. Sadly, reading about the recently-discovered book "Go Set A Watchman" about a much older Atticus, I will not read it - it sounds like a betrayal of him.
on January 12, 2016
It's no exaggeration to say that this is one of the best books ever written. If you haven't read it already, your education has been sadly neglected. Buy it, borrow it, or get it from the library - just read it.

Scout, a young girl growing up in the South, narrates a story in which she tries to figure out why some people are treated differently than others, and whether or not this is right or wrong. Her father, Atticus Finch, is a lawyer with integrity that is counter-cultural for the time and place. He serves as an excellent role model for Scout and her brother, Jem, in life in general, but especially when he is challenged both by the society he lives in and with physical violence.

I remember liking this book when it was assigned it high school, but when I read it again as an adult, I was even more impressed with it.