Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: To One Shortly to Die
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on July 5, 2013
There were two summer series last year that really had me watching--as usual they were on a the same time & night--and these were "Copper" and "Longmire". Of the two, "Copper" was more arresting (no pun intended) and kept me glued through the run wondering what happened to Mrs. Corcoran and being amazed at the job that BBC America had done for this series. The stories were well-told, quite shocking at times, and while the main mystery was solved, there were still strings that were never answered. Untill now.

I will not go into the story-line, let the viewers have that pleasure first hand, but needless to say, it is a good yarn, well-told, some beastly crimes, a bit of humor, and many questions to be answered. The acting is top-notch with Tom Weston-Jones doing a superb job along with the rest of the cast. The sets look like a city in decay, except for the homes of the well-to-do and you can almost smell the streets of Five-Points. The show is also bringing in the strange history of Tamany Hall--that might be mis-spelled--and how it slowly moved into a seat of power that will last for generations. Good acting. Good stories. Great production values. I hope to see Corky and the boys for several more seasons! BBC America, if you make more shows like this, you will become a power to be reckoned with!
on June 10, 2013
I thought "Copper" was one of those great shows that didn't grab all of the demographics and numbers to satisfy the networks - in other words, a great show that bites the dust to bean counters. BUT, it's BACK!!!! Moody, depressed, up and down in quality episodes, overall an excellent representation of the grit and grime of its historical period with a well-played, darkly principled protagonist. I am looking forward to some great drama in the new season of Copper.
on July 24, 2013
Copper: I love the story of the struggle of the Irish immigrants in America. My ancestors lived in the 5 Points and my great grandfather fought in the civil war and was given citizenship after serving for 4 years. While doing my family's genealogy I did lots of reading about the challenges these ancestors faced. This show brings this historical period even more alive than my imagination can do on its own.
I would definitely recommend this show to anyone and especially to those whose families lived in the slums of New York during this period in history. It made me admire these people even more and appreciate what they went through to pave the way for me. Also, my other Irish great grandfather was "a Copper"...a police lieutenant!!!!!!
on July 12, 2013
Season one was so outstanding in writing, acting, costuming and set design that the excellent and unique character development flowed into this viewers consciousness as though I were transported back to that era in New York City's hard crime & poverty neighborhood portrayed here and the Civil War survivor & imperfect soldier "Corky" Corcoran, turned Copper becomes as real as a neighbor you know intimately and want to protect. So many integral characters and substories of true events made me smile with pleasure at the anouncement of Season two, already continuing all of the attributes listed. I predict many seasons of this fine production. Highly recommend.
on July 4, 2013
Leave it to the British to make a great series of the early coppers of NYPD what a rich history the country has. Keep up the great series.
on May 1, 2015
I'll join the positive reviews of those who loved the series, even though I hate the fact that we're stuck with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved because BBC America gave the people actually writing and making the series no warning whatsoever about its cancellation. The third season had already been planned out with regard to its plot, and that's what the ending of season 2 led up to.
That being said, I loved season 2. I felt it had all the strengths of season 1 when it came to intelligence, gritty realism and great characters and actors, but with a more coherent plot and with less of a character who really got on my nerves (the kid Annie). I don't want to give too much away about the plot, so I will just say that while it goes on telling the private stories of the characters, it now also delves more deeply into the dealings of the powerful businessmen of the city and just how ruthless they are.
Reading some of the negative reviews, my impression is that some of those reviewers didn't realise just how complex and detailled (and great) the plot was. In hindsight, lots of small details that didn't seem that significant or weren't explained at first suddenly made (sometimes shocking) sense. To me, it really paid of to watch it on Blu ray within a few days so that everything eas fresh in my mind. I'll watch both seasons again right away since I'll certainly understand even more details and connections.
This was a really intelligent series that made demands on its viewers. I hate that it was cut off mid-story, but would nevertheless recommend it to people who love a good plot and interesting, realistic characters, but who can handle the fact that there are no 100% good (or even bad) characters and that there's a lot of violence and some sex. It might appeal to you if you liked Deadwood, but series like Justified or even Battlestar Galactica also come to mind for intelligence and gritty storytelling. I just wish the series had been given more seasons - what a waste of talent to cut it off after only two.
on June 27, 2013
I watched Season 1, and couldn't get enough of it. When I found out, there was a Season 2, I was thrilled. It's one of the best series I have seen in quite a while.
on February 4, 2014
Mid-to late 1800's New York ... bosses, police and crime in 5-points. Plus, Matthew Freeman as the doctor and his early attempts -- usually successful -- at forensics. It's real, it's gritty and I can't wait for Season 3. Thank you BBC and Amazon Instant Video!
on June 27, 2013
This series is great on so many levels...depends if you want to rate based on the handsome men of Copper, the excellent costuming of the characters or just the backstory of each of these characters & how they came to be who they are in Five Points.
on February 6, 2014
No seriously I loved it. Why the three stars because some moron decided to cancel it. They didn't even have the decency to finish it by giving it a decent series finale but instead left it as a cliff hanger, never to be continued. Sob.