Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on September 9, 2017
A beautiful book of meditation on life, loss, bereavement, death, nature through history, literature and personal memories. Written with fluidity, her own style of stream of consciousness, floating between personal and literary reflections and activities and observations. Writing rich in all 5 sensory stimulations and classic British love for botany-her being herbalist, particularly is very pronounced, I needed look up many flowers and birds and creatures. The river as the main element, the many concepts, images of water--source of life, but also burial place of many, the mysterious wonder and fear of what is underneath and the constant flow--is enriched by the author's knowledge of literature and ability to relate timelessly from mythology, Dante, Grahame, Iris and Beyle Murdoch, Virginia and Leonard Woolf and to herself and the readers.
"But that's how we go, is it not, between nothing and nothing, along this strip of life, where the ragworts nod in the repeating breeze? like a little strip of pavement above an abyss, Virginia Woolf once said."
on August 19, 2016
Beautiful writing, but I expected more personal experiences from the author. I knew this title would include historical references, but was disappointed that it feels as though three-quarters of the book is a history of the land and surroundings. Obviously, I'm a Woolf reader, which is the main reason I wanted to read To the River and I thoroughly enjoyed all the Woolf references; some of the best are about Leonard Woolf (interesting man), but I wanted personal perceptions and experiences. I had expected more of a connection between Laing and reader; less history, more Laing and I would've been happy.

I discovered Iris Murdoch and John Bayley through reading this book, which is a plus. Also, even though the prose style is appealing, I thought it was verbose and intense in sections where Laing could have given the reader some breathing room.

Still, I'm keeping my copy and am looking forward to reading Lonely City.
on March 11, 2013
Olivia Laing has written a stunning reflection on the Ouse, and actually on all rivers. Her prose undulates along with the changing watercourse, prodding out regional histories as she wends her way along the riverbank. Past and present mingle and merge; you share the author's surprise at being jolted from her daydreams by occasional hikers and fishermen. A lovely book that reinforces our connections with the chronology of our chosen place.
This book is pure delight.
on December 30, 2016
I like Olivia Laing's writing. She's deeply personal even when looking at a river. I've learned so much: the deep history along the Ouse River in Sussex; the history of Leonard Woolf (as well as Virginia Woolf but most everyone knows something of her history); as well as reviewing a romantic relationship recently ended. There's tales of life and death along the Ouse, not only Virginia, but common and not so common folk. If you've yet to read Olivia Laing, do. She's a masterful writer.
on September 9, 2013
Well written and lots of interesting insights on a variety of subjects from literary connections - Virginia Woolf and Kenneth Graham - to science and ecology.
on August 29, 2013
A compelling travelogue, beautiful writing, striking metaphor. A testament to the beauty and importance of every moment of every day.
on May 20, 2014
I ordered this book after enjoying "The Trip to Echo Spring", and I am so glad I did. This is a must for nature-lovers, British history buffs and those among us who enjoy Virginia Woolf.

You know who you are!
on December 5, 2016
Early work of fine writer.
on May 12, 2015
Wonderful combination of memoir/nature/English history/English literature/science. Totally absorbing and beautifully written!
on June 18, 2014
Laing has written a thoughtful and sensitive book. She muses on nature and humanity revealing the thoughts of Virginia Woolf and her own. Her use of language is stunning.