Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 6, 2013
I bought To Sell is Human because I have been self employed for about a year and my business was missing something. I was marginally successful but I needed something to boost my client list. My businesses revolve around selling Antiques and clothing on Ebay and Craigslist and I also offer guitar lessons to the public, so it is very much a sales oriented field. I realized that the problem with my client list was the overall way I conducted my ads and myself. After reading To Sell is Human, I was instantly endowed with concepts that were previously non-existent in my work.
Being a person who is commonly pressed for time, I bought the summary version and it contained more than enough info for me to kick sales into overdrive. The book taught me that successful sales do not rely on tacky sales pitches or coercion, but are instead motivated by eliciting trust and a sense of commonality with my clients. The best part of the book is the chapter on Attunement, which describes many techniques for initiating rapport with, would be clients. Since buying the book I have seen a healthy increase in the number of sales and lessons I receive. These concepts were in front of me the whole time; I just needed to read this book to realize it. A definite buy!
on April 27, 2014
The starting premise of Pink's latest book is that whereas the responsibility for sales used to reside in the sales department, many businesses no longer work that way. According to Pink, the percentage of companies with fewer than ten employees is growing rapidly and more and more people now work for themselves. (*raise hand and point to self*) And with that transition has come the expectation that everyone in the company will be required to sell in some fashion. He also makes the point that selling is not simply about getting people to buy a product. We sell our skills when we apply for a grant or a job. Teachers are selling when they are working to engage students in acquiring knowledge and doctors and nurses are selling when they are working to convince patients to adopt a particular health management strategy. And parents, yes parents spend most of their time selling their kids on the merits of homework and sleep and vegetables...

Pink argues that how we sell has changed dramatically. Where once the seller had all the power, now it is the customer who is arriving with a bundle of market research - if they arrive at all, for many buyers are avoiding personal contact altogether and simply purchasing online.

What does this mean for those of us learning to be sellers and those needing to refine their techniques? Pink's approach is personal, practical and pragmatic. He offers compelling research to back up his approach and also offers clear advice on how to translate theory into practise. I worked through many of Pink's exercises while reading through the book and felt very self righteous when I was asked unexpectedly to provide some sales copy and was able to hand it over on the spot! And felt even better when told it was exactly what they needed!

I'm always encouraging people to read outside their normal patterns. It expands your horizons and opens you up to new ideas and approaches. If you're going to explore one book outside your comfort zone this year, I suggest that To Sell is Human is the one. Trust me, it's worth it.

Sold?
on August 14, 2016
To Sell is Human was a good book about selling in today's environment (this is coming from someone who sells and has sold as a career for the past 10 years). Mr. Pink works hard in the book to make sure that you understand that we are all in sales today. I would agree with that. That said, there is something in the book for seller and non-seller alike. Mr. Pink does appreciate significantly the roots of study and findings in significant research, experiments, anecdotal evidence, psychology research, etc. etc. I think it is important that assertions be backed by data and research. Much of the text of this book is spent reviewing this research, data, etc, in detail. Some readers may find that to be a bit boring, and may be asking the author silently to "please just get to the point". Knowing Mr. Pink's style, however, I would guess he might say it is really important to understand the research behind the book.
on February 16, 2014
Dan Pink does his homework... well researched and well written primer on what it means to "sell".

David Garfinkel wrote a great review - which echoes my sentiments - so I won't wast your time - just go read his review... I did however steal what I believe is the best part of his review --- sell below:

But I can give you five categorial "if-then" statements to tell you what kind of people I think this book is for, and what kind of people it is not for:

1. If you are committed to hating selling no matter what, forget about it. Don't read this book, seeing as Dan will make you hate yourself in the morning, because you won't have any reasons left to keep hating selling -- and all that hatred would have to go somewhere else, now wouldn't it?

2. If you like the idea of selling and/or selling is part of your job, but you think you're "just not cut out" for selling, I STRONGLY recommend this book. That's because Dan proves very logically and plausibly that there simply is no such thing as a "natural" when it comes to selling. He also shows that anyone can learn to sell effectively in a style that is consistent with their values -- a style of selling that lets them sleep well at night.

3. If you think you know all that there is to know about selling, don't get this book. You'll be disappointed that there's "nothing new." You have to think that, since you are predisposed to coming to that conclusion, regardless of the facts.

4. If you love to learn for the sake of learning, you'll love this book. Because you'll find plenty of new and delightful insights that will make this book worth reading for those insights alone.

5. If you are a top salesperson and you want to stay that way, you might as well get this book. It's all but required reading for you. Because Dan makes a distinction I haven't seen made as pragmatically anywhere else. A distinction that will help you sell more and keep you from making boneheaded mistakes that even the best of salespeople could get away with, and frequently did, as recently as a few years ago.

Great book - I think we all should read it and own it. Great job Dan!
on July 4, 2015
Everyone is in sales whether you are a Father, Mother, Engineer, Coach...or a "Sales Person." It doesn't matter. We all are in positions and situations daily where we have to listen, share ideas and move problems toward solutions...which is sales. Dan Pink gives us the tools, techniques and skills to effectively do this in today's era of unending and relentless information, social media and the ever increasing fast pace of life.

Research backs up the approaches Dan presents. Overall, implementing the skills in this book make us better human beings working in conjunction with others. We are all sales people.
on June 2, 2013
First, note that you could have the best idea in the world, if you can't communicate it, it is irrelevant. And if you can't PERSUASIVELY do so, it is almost equally as relevant.

Now, if you agree that we are all in the "business" of persuasion under one form or another - what Pink calls "non-sales selling" - look at the two following variations :

- Sales Selling: engaging with prospects, persuading them of the value of a product/service and "closing a deal". This is the traditional image we get from "sales". Pink has a number of tips for this category of activities.

- Building persuasive systems that engage with prospects and help drive your point. Building empathy, designing a complete experience with an interlocutor, getting feedback, etc. Pink provides an excellent cross-disciplinary perspective on this variation.

Contrary to some reviews, this book doesn't reflect that Pink is a good "thinker" but rather a good "aggregator". His recommendations are based on a variety of researches ranging from cognitive sciences to art to business, in addition to the pure anectodical that you may choose to get entertained with or ignore. I got entertained.
on January 1, 2013
What goes through your mind when you think of someone who works in sales? Why is there still a need for the salesperson? What if I (or better yet Dan Pink) told you that not only are we all in sales but it is a crucial part of your job? Dan Pink's new book To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others may turn your idea of what selling is upside down. And you will thank him for it. Dan Pink (author of A Whole New Mind, Drive) shows how the old sales idea of Always Be Closing is now replaced by Attunement, Buoyancy and Clarity. The author points out that 1 in 9 people are actually in sales but the other 8 out of 9 are in what he calls "non-sales selling"; moving or influencing others to benefit all involved. Dan does a wonderful job of taking data and information from science, research and statistics and synthesizes it into relevant advice for the CEO of the office and of the home. An important message from the book is why the warmer, compassionate personal and social skills are more advantageous to have in today's world than aggressive cold-calling techniques. He'll discuss why the "elevator pitch" used during our fathers' time is as outdated as our fathers' ties, and the six successors of that type of pitch.
I work as a doctor of physical therapy in my spare time from being a dad, husband, brother, son and community member. As a treating therapist, director and co-owner of my clinic I interact personally with patients, their families, physicians, employees, colleagues, vendors and the public. I use 2 techniques Dan discusses in the book - make it personal and make it purposeful-to "sell" the importance of my skills and experience to improve others. Dan Pink's books have had as big an influence on my daily doings inside and outside of work as any other author. At the end of To Sell Is Human Dan asks 2 important questions: (to paraphrase) 1. Will what you're selling improve the buyer's life? and 2. Has your interaction served its purpose to make the world a better place? In regards to this book, with clarity I can definitively answer for myself "yes" and "yes". This book is worth the read.
Please note: I received a copy of the book from the publisher, but the opinions expressed in this review are my own. They haven't been edited or approved by anyone.
on September 7, 2014
Listened to this as an audiobook and as usual, Daniel Pink was at his best. I purchased this after reflecting on a belief that I had that we are always selling whether it is at work or in our personal life. When I spotted "To Sell Is Human," I found it fitting. Pink reads this himself and tells very compelling stories and centers the book around the world's last Fuller Brush door to door sale man, Norman Hall. Pink entices sympathy for the salesman while expressing a general positive outlook that we can all adopt to become better at "selling." To Sell Is Human includes research conducted on human behavior and social attitudes. I, personally had not particularly enjoyed sales (or selling myself) but after "To Sell Is Human," my outlook has changed considerably.
on June 19, 2014
In the world of Sales, Daniel Pink shows us that every human being is in Sales. But, watch out, this is not your traditional sales he is speaking of, every day we are moving others and others are moving us. Forget your perspective about the sneaky salesperson, because you are one.

There is a New ABC for sale that substitute the Always Be Closing... and Pink delivers it throughout the whole book. He doesn't only talk the talk, but, he also walks it. There are a lot of exercises along the book that I am now using in my every day life and in my consulting business.

It is a very entertaining book and I enjoy it a lot. If you are thinking of starting a business, you work for somebody, or you have your own business, this book will help you understand that YOU ARE and WE ALL ARE SALES PERSONS!!!!
on February 6, 2013
I was a car salesman for three years, and so I have been up close and personal with people's biased and usually negative perspective of salespeople. So it is with great delight and appreciation that I highly recommend this summary, "To Sell is Human... in 30 Minutes." Even if you are no longer in direct sales or have never been, this is an easy to read synopsis of the new and forward-thinking philosophies of Daniel H. Pink, who attests that no matter your occupation, more than likely it involves sales to some degree. The good news, for those that detest the stereotypical salesman, is that this quick read clearly defines Pink's notions that this stereotype is outdated, primarily because the sales techniques that perpetuated it are just as passé. In the modern information age where the customer is privy to just as much, if not more, information than the seller, the use of forceful persuasion has been abandoned for empathy, flexibility, and service to a higher cause. Furthermore this information is universally applicable, because the modern salesman is at work in almost every profession. "Non-sales selling" is an umbrella that encompasses anyone who must "move others" to accomplish their goals.