Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on September 5, 2013
The Toca Djembe sizes are confusing. The definition at the top says small, the bullet points directly below the image seem to be right, the specs further down are completely wrong (which are what I used).

Now for all my griping, the Toca sounds superb, it's light weight and fun to play, it is however (tone wise) a mid-high range djembe, not the low (bass) to mid range Djembe I was looking for. So, great sounding Djembe, but the wrong size for me.
In hopes of avoiding the wrong size again I am going to cross ref. to Musician's Friend and Sweetwater.

Update: DOH!! Should have cross ref. Musicians Friend. The Toca sizes listed there referenced to pricing are correct.
Small: Approx. 8" Head, 16" Tall cost 45
Medium: Approx. 10" Head, 20" Tall cost 78
Large: 12" Head, 24" Tall cost 144
Extra Large: 13" Head, 26" Tall cost 169

The Meinls are the approx. same price for size....no Large Djembes for 80 I can see so far. I wanted to close the loop on this. The Toca Djembe sizes can be misleading as they mostly all say "Small", the dimensions listed are incorrect. The one I have with the brown and black stain is well made, ropes are tight. It's eye catching with a great sound. Dimensions are 20in high with a 9inch head for 78. Tone is mid range in the center, high and tight at the edge.
At this stage I may keep it.....not sure yet.
on April 17, 2014
Toca hit it out of the park with the 8" medium size Djembe.

I have large hands so I'm glad I didn't get the cheaper small (kids) version.
I'm extremely pleased with the lows such a small drum can produce.
The skin covers approximately 8" with 6" of that is open air for base hits and the Bass does not disappoint!

I bought it as a travel, camping, back packing, & Renaissance Faire drum. Its medium size is perfect for that.

I wove a shoulder strap out of 550 para-cord and found the weight to be no issue at all for long walks.

If you do not intend to travel much and have large hands you may want to go up one more size but for a portable drum the medium is perfect for adults on the move.
on May 26, 2015
It sounds so good and looks good except for a little of blemish on the edge of skin due to a puncture in the box and no foam inside to protect the product from hard handling during delivery.
on September 2, 2017
Super disappointed. The drum was completely ripped when I opened the box.

There was nothing sharp in the box so I don't see how it could have gotten damaged in the mail. Even if it was jostled around a lot, that wouldnt cause a huge tear. It looks like someone slashed it with a knife :(
review image review image review image
on December 6, 2013
In my opinion this is a good Djembe for someone who is looking for a small size. The discription of this item is not accurate. It doesnt say It measures 12" from outer ring to ring. So the diameter that is the area to play is totally different. its only 8.5" get the picture.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2017
This is my djembe purchase but it sounds and looks pretty good.
on December 14, 2016
nice drum
on December 8, 2014
What a great drum. Very well made, very cool looking. My son really loves it. We have had it for 2 years now and it has really held up well.
on February 9, 2016