Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 70 reviews
on September 1, 2010
As the mother of 3 young children, I can't recommend this book enough! It's easy to read and filled with useful advice on how to raise a happy, well-behaved toddler. The author's anecdotes are funny and memorable without being long-winded.

Things I Love About This Book
-------------------------------
1. Great advice on communicating: The author spends a good chunk of time on how to communicate with your toddler - talking, signing, etc. She gives specific examples of what you can do and say. Your kids can't behave well if they can't understand what you expect of them.

2. It's short and concise. Who has time to read a 300-page book on toddler discipline? This book covers the important stuff in just 7 short chapters.

3. It's well organized. The first chapter covers the author's basic approach to tackling issues. I know this sounds obvious but...READ Chapter 1 FIRST. Then you can bop around. There are handy lists and bulleted points for those of you who like to skim.

4. Humorous style - easy to read.

5. The author has what I feel is a balanced approach. Examples:

* Has advice on both positive and negative reinforcement, and when best to use them.
* She advocates learning sign language but says 5-10 words will give you the basics to communicate with a 1-year old. No need to memorize an entire dictionary of American Sign Language.

I would highly recommend this book to both new parents and "seasoned veterans". For new parents, you won't find a better book on the basics of fostering good behavior in toddlers. For experienced parents, you'll be surprised at how this book will help you do things even better.
on April 3, 2012
This book is a short 80 pages long. It is perfect for someone who is short on time... you know... like someone who has a toddler! The biggest problem I have with this book is the tone it is written in. For example, on page 26, a sentence ends with "honey, we need to have a heart to heart between us gals." Aside from the fact that I'd like my husband to read this book and he probably doesn't want to be called a "gal," it seems pretty condescending. Still, if you ignore those kinds of sentences, you can get some good information and tips that can help with your toddler. Most of it is common sense (toddlers act up more when they are hungry, toddlers get overstimulated, make sure they aren't getting sick) but it is helpful to have things written out with solutions. The "Promoting Positive Behavior" chapter was the most useful to me.
on June 28, 2014
I read the other reviews where people said that they did not like the author's writing style. Personally I did not mind it at all. I liked the way that the author used her informal chatty style.
The advice is to the point and clear and I plan to enforce the advice in the book.
I would recommend the book to a friend.
I am getting hubby to read the book. Because the book is short and to the point he is happier to read it rather than a longer book. It will be good for us both working from the same point of view when it comes to discipline.
on May 30, 2012
Being the mother of my first child and having been an only child, I never had a lot of experience with toddlers. I felt good that a lot of these things I was already doing, but it really helped give me other options for my daughter when she and I aren't communicating well. I liked how short and sweet the book was while providing a wealth of information. When dealing with a toddler, a short book is better because you want to change the behavior asap, not a week later when you finish some long winded book about everything under the sun. A good, quick guide for mom or dad.
on April 9, 2014
Helpful for parents and caregivers, that was an unexpected bonus, didn't feel preachy or condescending. Liked the bullet points and quick recap at end of each chapter and solid messaging throughout book.
on August 19, 2016
Easy to read. Have to be dedicated & disciplined to incorporate steps. Like the concepts
on August 9, 2016
I thought it would have a "miracle" or two. Sorry it's all we have heard before.
on February 20, 2013
Just started reading this book and getting very frustrated.. What in the world is 'time out'???? the author is using this without any explanation!!! I can't go on reading this.. maybe somebody can explain what 'time out' means... I am a new parent of 17 month old boy and was looking for some guidance on how to react to newly started tantrums..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2014
This book was truly a lifesaver. I have never written a review before but for this book I needed to. It's truly inspirational and makes parenting a bit easier during the terror of toddlerhood. A must have for any new parent!
on March 4, 2014
Precise and perfect. Thoughtful and well written for busy parents. The author narrated with good real life scenarios that make sense to the patents. It shows how you should respond to child rather than reacting to child behavior. Kudos to author