Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 2, 2014
This UWA lens is a MUST for serious astrophotographers that use crop cameras.
It's tack sharp, infinity focus is just that, no guessing, wide aperture.
You will love the images it captures.
I use it with my Canon 70D, a perfect combo.

Nothing bad to say, all good things to say.
I've attached a sample of what it can do.
141 helpful votes
142 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
I bought this lens to "complete" my lens collection. I have a fair number of good to high-quality lenses, but the widest lens I owned was a 24-70mm. It just seems that fairly often I find myself needing just a bit wider than that. I read a bit about this lens before the purchase and it seems a lot of people are very happy with this lens. Now that I own it, it is obvious why. Right out of the box you can tell that this is a solid piece of equipment. It is definitely not a "fantastic plastic". It's got some heft to it, though it is not so heavy that it is uncomfortable on the camera. (I have a Canon 40d.) In playing around I found it to be a very sharp lens. It also has tremendous depth of field making it great for getting group shots and including background. I've read some complaints that 11-16mm isn't much of a zoom. It's not. However, when it's that wide I look at the zoom just to give me a little play around the edges and keep my group more towards the center of the photo. If 16mm is way wide, I'd go with the 24-70mm and if 11mm isn't wide enough I'm just going to have to back up. This is my first Tokina lens and I was a bit nervous, but not now. I'm very happy with the purchase. If you buy it, I hope it works out as well for you and thank you for taking the time to read my review.

Additional Review 8/22/14: When I originally wrote this review I had owned the Tokina for a little over a month, now it has been more than a year. I am still as happy with it as I was when I bought it. I wanted to add that this is a bit of a niche lens. I'm now using a Canon 70d and if I'm out and I'm only taking one lens this isn't it. However, when I pack a bag, the tokina is always in it. when I'm looking for that really wide shot, this is the lens and it has never disappointed me. I'd also like to point out that this is not a fisheye lens. There is a little distortion at the edges, but to me I've always been amazed that there is not more on a lens this wide so I certainly am not upset by it. Thanks again for reading my review and I hope if you buy this lens that it gives you some great shots as well!
262 helpful votes
263 helpful votes
1010 comments|Report abuse
on January 31, 2016
I got this lens after my online photography group suggested it for shooting the Northern Lights. It's awesome! It has an infinity setting so I don't have to worry about focus issues in the dark. The quality is amazing. I recommend getting the polarizer as well...I like to shoot wide-angle landscape pics, and the polarizer comes in handy on a blue sky day. It's my favorite lens.
48 helpful votes
49 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 22, 2017
The only reason this gets 4 stars instead of 5 is that even though the listing says this is the USA version and that it was supposed to come with a three-year warranty, in reality this is a gray market lens and the warranty is only for two years -- and it's void in the U.S. as this is from a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon, NOT FROM AN AUTHORIZED TOKINA DEALER. So, buyer beware.

That said, this is an incredibly good, versatile lens. It comes with a lens hood (you'll want to do an internet search to watch a demonstration on how to take off the lens hood, as it is tricky, but like me you can just leave it on all the time). Things you'll also want to know: it's rough going onto the camera but seems fine once it's on; it has no image stabilization, but it does have auto-focus (to switch auto-focus on and off, you just pull or push the focus ring at the end of the lens); aberrations are very apparent when you are zoomed all the way out, but are not very noticeable at other focal lengths; this lens can have excessive lens flare as well as discoloration in sunny/bright light conditions; the lowest aperture you can go with this lens is 2.8. The color is beautiful, the focus is beautiful. It is very useful for astrophotography (you just have to set the focus to infinity, which is really easy because it has its very own setting on the lens) as well as architectural interiors, closeup photos and I have been using it a lot lately for landscape photography. As with any wide-angle lens, you must know that there can be quite a bit of lens distortion in the images, but you can learn to use this to your advantage. It is a very excellent, versatile lens.
0Comment|Report abuse
I have a first generation Tokina 11-16 and have done hundreds of shoots with it. The original does have quite an ugly flare sometimes in certain light but you learn how to shoot around it. I ordered a second one because I do A LOT of jobs with it, didn't want to take the chance on something happening to it and be screwed so I grabbed another. I also heard the new one (this version) has a coating to reduce the flare. I must admit, while still there, it is slightly better. This lens does feel "just a bit" cheaper than the original but still a great lens. I also use it for video constantly and having the F2.8 is a must indoors. This lens will always be in my arsenal.
on May 19, 2014
Whether you are filming a music video, your kids, or taking photos of real-estate, this lens offers so much for the price. It is a must-have for aspiring filmmakers/photographers, and professionals alike. If you have this bookmarked, or you keep looking back at it and at other lens wondering if it is the right choice, let this be your sign to order it. I use it with a Canon T3 and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and you don't even realize there is a crop because the lens captures so much without looking fisheye. The build quality feels solid for plastic, 9/10, the 9 because the pull-back manual focus must be pulled back straight all at once or it gets caught. Other than that, it is very quiet when focusing, comes with a free lens hood and cap, and the footage you take with it will blow others out of the water.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on September 7, 2015
I have owned this lens for about a month now and have taken it on two backpacking trips. I have really enjoyed shooting with this lens - buy it when it goes on sale! (I've been using it on my t3i)

Pros:
Love the ultrawide
Very sharp (even wide open)

Cons:
Autofocus isn't very fast (I use infinity focus a lot, so this doesn't matter to me)
Chromatic aberration (fix with PS)

I would definitely recommend this lens. It is very fun to shoot with.
4 helpful votes
on May 31, 2015
Very good lens, especially for the price. I would definitely recommend this over the canon 10-18mm. I noticed that a lot of reviews said the focus ring was cheaply made and didn't snap into place like it was supposed to but I haven't noticed any major issue with that. The biggest issue I noticed was the focus ring is hard to reach with your fingers when the lens hood is on backwards like it would be if it was being stored, but that hardly an issue because you can just turn the lens hood around. The second biggest issue I've encountered is that I have an adjustable ND filter that works by spinning the rim on the outside, and when the lens hood is on it is almost impossible to screw on, and with the filter on the lens hood won't come off. The third and final problem I had with this lens is that it is big and bulky. This makes the lens look really good on the camera, but won't fit into my camera bag while it is connected to my camera. This quickly became my favorite lens, the infinity focus is amazing and 16mm is the perfect length for pictures of the stars and landscape in my opinion.
on August 21, 2015
I bought this lens to round out my needs for quality glass wide angle and video on my Canon 70D. I do a own a couple of high end L Canon lenses, but only when research and high end reviews proves there really is nothing else close to the performance and price...which is less and less these days with all the fantastic 3rd party lens manufacturers who have stepped up their game., but the widest lens I owned was a 24-70mm. It just seems that fairly often I find myself needing just a bit wider than that. I read a bit about this lens before the purchase and it seems a lot of people are very happy with this lens.

I never really considered Tokina. My loss! They are truly a contender, and now I own my 2nd...their 2.8 macro lens now joining my bag. Right out of the box you can tell that this is a solid piece of equipment with quality glass. It is definitely not the cheap plastic you might expect. If you need a 1.4, buy something else, but if you can work with a 2.8 for your wide angle needs as most of us can, do not pass up a serious consideration of this lens, especially if you are a crop sensor user.
on July 21, 2014
Wow. I was set on the Canon version of this, with slightly wider range. I was reading the reviews for it and saw that a few people recommended this lens. I am glad they did.

I had my first Real Estate photography gig, and didn't want to go through the pain of renting a similar lens. I have rented the Canon lens before for a couple of weddings I did, and I figured it was time I save my rental money towards the purchase of one of these wide angle lens.

My camera has a 1.6x crop factor, and this lens is still wide enough to get AWESOME interior shots.

I also love the f/2.8 on this thing. I was able to take some nice night time long exposures at less than half the usual time with my f/4.0 main go-to lens.
4 helpful votes