Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 322 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 370 reviews
on June 6, 2013
This review is for the version WITHOUT live traffic.

I bought this unit for my wife, who has no sense of direction whatsoever. After looking at online text and YouTube video reviews, it seemed as though the TomTom software was simpler than Garmin, and the price was right.

After some use, here are my perceptions.

The good:

1. The software is simpler and the menus more sensibly arranged than Garmin. Overall the design is much more intuitive.
2. The verbal cues for directions are more descriptive and intuitive than Garmin.
3. The unit picks up satellites very quickly, and the unit is sensitive. Once it fell off the window, and continued to give directions from under the seat!
4. Screen updates are fast.
5. Updating the firmware and maps is very slow (~2 hrs - must be their servers, since my connection is 50Mbps), but the process is simple and straightforward.

The not so good:

1. The unit does not run very long on a charge. Seemingly about 1.5 hours.
2. The mount is a mixed bag. The design is compact, and it's easy to attach to the window, but the swivel ball is VERY stiff. If you try to reorient the unit relative to the window most of the time the swivel ring pops off rather than having the mount pivot.
3. The screen contrast could be better.

I don't care a lot about POIs and other add-on features. I just want a unit to get from point A to point B.

Before driving home from work one day I received an email alert (on my phone) about a traffic jam. After asking for an alternate route, the TomTom gave one that I have found to be very good, except for the final leg where getting on the Mass Pike saves a lot of time (based on prior experience) and avoids stopping at traffic lights. I following the suggested route until the highway on-ramp. Unbelievably, as we entered the ramp the unit re-planned and suggested we go IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, away from our destination. That would have added about 15 miles to the route (into rush hour traffic, no less), and would have put us back essentially where we started.

I was stunned. Do I really trust the TomTom for someone who doesn't know East from West? I'm hoping this was some kind of glitch related to the IQ Route software. Perhaps it somehow got confused as to which way rush hour traffic was going (the way we went is bumper-to-bumper in the morning, but this was evening and the highway was clear), and assumed we should go all the way around. Or perhaps the distribution of traffic on this particular stretch of road is extreme and caused their estimation method to go haywire.

I have disabled IQ Route, and will update this review when I learn more. Hopefully the TomTom will not display any more crazy lapses in sanity.
on July 9, 2013
Bought my husband a Garmin, so I decided to buy the Tom Tom for me so we could compare the two GPS systems. Liked the price of the Tom Tom along with the lifetime maps of both the US and Canada. However, that is where the love affair ended. The maps on the Tom Tom are not up-to-date or accurate. I thought maybe it was just an old map so I decided to update it. When I did, it wiped out all of my "favorite" places that were stored and the "updated" maps were no better. These maps were so outdated for our area that it didn't have streets that have been here for years and also didn't list major shopping areas that have also been here for years. The final straw was when it had me turn right and make a "U-Turn" at an intersection where I clearly could have just turned left. It also did not display the local speed limits like it shows on the picture (until I was on a major interstate). The Tom Tom support staff tried hard to help me, but they could not do anything about the terrible maps. Sadly, I had to return it. I got a Garmin like my husband's and love it. Wanted to love the Tom Tom, but didn't.
on April 20, 2014
What a joke! Poor GPS. Doesn't tell you what lane to get into until you're right at the junction! What good is that? When traffic is heavy you need to know before that. Come on! Have no idea how to find a store nearby. Travelled across the US staying at hotels - looked for Walmarts. NO way to find one near hotel.... unless I'm really stupid & can't figure it out.

Not very user friendly compared to Garmin. Wish I'd spent a few extra dollars & bought one. If I were you I wouldn't buy Tomtom. They're cheaper but you really get what you pay for. I just had a cheap Garmin. Far superior to Tomtom. Don't let friends talk you into buying this brand. Also, it takes forever to load a map once you put in a destination. Be sure to start it up 1/2 hour ahead of time. LOL. There are no exit #'s listed on there until you're right at the exit you're to go on. What good is that? Too bad - it could have been a good GPS.
on April 27, 2014
Just got this a few days ago and have been testing it out, I probably would not purchase this again, for these reasons. (1) No manual came with it; (2) when running a demo of a planned trip, it went so far, and jumped back to my starting point, never taking me to my destination; (3) for some reason, the display was showing my car driving in a vertical position, but on a trip today, it makes me follow my car as if it's going south, and it's very confusing. It's like a reverse image. I don't know how to flip the display back to the way it was; (4) the image of my car was a little red car, until today, when it flipped back to the default arrow; even though I keep changing it back to the car image, the arrow won't go away. I wish I had not bought this, after reading more of the other's comments. I just don't think these types of "bugs" should happen on something supposedly brand new, and not cheap.
on January 29, 2014
This must have been refurbished, or something because the screen is defective with two vertical lines blacked-out from top to bottom. And then there is the issue of setup/install. It was so complicated and I had to download different files so many times, and for so many hours that even if it worked, I did not think it would be worth it.

Eventually, though, it is a working device. It will take a while to learn how to use it, but it has nice features, like finding POI's. Which, BTW, I will clue you in, that a POI is a 'Point of Interest'. Took a while for me to figure that out.

Evidently someone just threw a returned unit in a box without checking it in hopes that the next guy would not return it as defective. So you're on your own on this one. Give yourself a couple of days to figure out how to set it up, and to actually download everything multiple times. I recall that once I downloaded for hours and it looked like it would work, then it turns out that the only voice I had was in French. And somehow I must have set the time incorrectly, but now I don't see where to reset it. Give me another couple of days, I guess. And I can live with several bars of screen missing. No way do I want to try to set another one of these up. My time is more valuable than that...

Oh, I will also mention that the product appears largely to be a come-on to get you to buy other services like roadside assistance, and gas price info. These services were not included in the product; the product description is highly misleading in that regard.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2014
My daughter had appropriated my TomTom One so I decided to get a newer one. I was specifically looking for lifetime maps and speed limit display. The 45M had both at a good price. But, I gave up several things I liked about the One without realizing it would work out that way. First is brightness. The 45M has adjustable brightness but it still washes out in bright sunlight. Even worse, the display is an almost perfect mismatch for my polarized sunglasses. The second big problem for me is that the 2D display is always oriented north. Using it while driving just doesn't work. By the time you figure out which way things are going, you've looked away from the road too long. Finally there's the "lifetime" maps. As I read it, it turns out to be the production lifetime of the receiver. That was pretty much over before I even got it. TomTom keeps offering to sell me new maps but hasn't made any available for free download yet. And, you know, even the speed limit feature was wrong. It thought all interstates in VA had a maximum speed limit of 65. Wouldn't buy it again.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2014
I bought this for the Lifetime Maps, it is the Start 45M. I took it out of the box, connected to my computer, downloaded TomTom Home to update maps. It updates via Map Share, but when I click on Latest Map Guarantee it gives me the following message: The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device. There is a paper in the box that says Congratulations Free Lifetime Maps. I could not find any type of activation code for maps, only for Fuel Prices and Roadside Assistance, neither of which I need.

I have had a Garmin for a couple years now after my first TomTom died one month after warranty ended. The Garmin gives my fits and constantly have to do a full reset on it. The old TomTom was great until the display went out.

I guess I will call Support on Monday seeing that I missed them by 15 minutes today.

Update: I contacted Support and they corrected the issue on my account. Apparently my box was missing the Lifetime Map activation code.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2013
I am very happy with the purchase. I am a relatively new driver, but I knew from the very beginning I'd need a GPS with my skills of getting lost. I drove from Midwest to East coast with TomTom and I was very happy. The instructions are very clear, I love the speed limit information and the visual instruction what lane one should stay on on a highway when e.g. there is 5 lanes and some of them become exists further along. This is the first GPS I own, so I might not have a good comparison with other devices like this from the competition (I'd suspect they are all pretty much comparable), but I promise that you won't go wrong with this one - unless, of course, you have a very specific and unusual demand from a gps
on June 6, 2013
I got this GPS knowing TomTom does not have the user friendly interface that Garmin has. The one thing I was not expecting is it does not have the auto turn on feature when you turn the car on and when the GPS is plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Another thing I did not like about it vs. my Garmin is my Garmin found our cabin just fine which I have to drive 9 miles of dirt road to get there. Knowing the area, I was able to find the intersection. However, the GPS has the wrong house numbers on the road that our cabin is on.

The one positive is, vs. my Garmin 205w, it can find points of interests from within cities rather than only where you are currently located.
on May 29, 2014
Got this in a zip-lock bag. No documentation. Looked new, but obviously a return or re-sale. When I connected it to the TomTom site for updates was informed that my map subscription had expired. How can Lifetime updates expire? Contacted support and explained that I just purchased it. They apologized and reset the feature and now I have lifetime maps. However, the traffic is not lifetime. They told me to purchase a new power cable with an antennae to get free traffic. This is the free radio based service found in most US cities. Got the cable cheap and it works fine. Am very happy with TomTom support and the unit works great.