Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Video Game|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 28, 2014
The PS4/XBox One version of Tomb Raider has caused a bit of drama. Tomb Raider was originally released on the PS3/Xbox 360 a little under a year ago -- when they announced the PS4 port so quick to the actual release date (announced Dec 7th, released late January), combined with the fact that it would retail at full price, it caused a bit of negative press.

Right off the bat, this is for the most part a port of the current version. There have been upgrades to it along the way (lighting, textures, hair effects) but the game was not re-made from scratch for the next-gen versions. The original game did already look really good on the PS3/360, but there is a noticeable difference still. If you're looking for "new stuff" in this version, it's unfortunately not there.

I own the PS3 and PS4 versions and have put about 12-16 hours into the PS4 version as of this review (game completed with 67%).

The PS4 version runs at 1080p, 60fps (it may dip below that a bit, particularly in the very wide-open environments but I don't have any way of confirming the framerate. For me, it seemed to run fine, just not quite as smooth as some of the smaller locations).
The PS4 version also includes all of the DLC from the original release (different costumes, multiplayer extras, etc..) -- this was nice to have included with it (as it would surely upset people if it hadnt been), but the content is still pretty basic.

The PS4 version does make use of the new controller -- you can swipe up on the touchpad to light the torch, down to put it out.. you can use voice controls to bring up map, switch weapons, etc.. The controller LED also seems to change colors at points in the game (unfortunately, playing the game you rarely ever see the LED colors on the front of the controller, so I don't know how useful this feature is :) ). Lastly, some audio does seem to come out of the controllers' speaker (such as radio dialog during cutscenes). My verdict on these: I used the touchpad, didn't use voice controls and didn't really notice the controller speaker as much (unless the TV was on mute). It seems much more noticeable when used in other games such as Resogun. I didn't pay attention to the LED, but did see it changing colors from time to time.

The gameplay itself is great. Probably one of my favorite (single player -- I didn't try Multiplayer) games in years. The story keeps you entertained, the upgrades along the way work very nicely (keeps it from being the same throughout - you actually want to upgrade weapons and find new weapons), the story/gameplay is fairly linear.. hard to get lost (even in wide open areas). There are some things you can do along the way: Hunting to build up experience, optional tombs to explore. My favorite part of the game is that it was constantly moving between types of gameplay.. exploring.. hunting.. puzzles.. shootouts.. quicktime events.. it never felt like I was stuck running around for 2 hours from location to location, the variety always mixed things up and kept the game fresh.

The game itself is worth fullprice to me.

For someone who has already played/owned the PS3/360 versions, this is simply a visual upgrade for the most part. The visual upgrade is VERY NICE, but it's hard to justify buying it again when it could have easily been a "HD VERSION" like we saw last gen. While some stuff is obviously upgraded, other aspects seem to look the same. Lara's model seems to be given the biggest upgrade (obviously), but other characters seem to be mostly the same. I never played the PC version, but imagine this is closer to what that looked like.

So is it worth it?

If you do not own it on another console, Yes. I would buy the PS4 version even though the PS3 version can be had for less than half the price.
If you do own it on another console, it's hard to justify at full price. I bought it because I loved the game and was happy to play through it again and see the changes.. but that's hard to suggest others do when its merely an upgraded version and not a full remake.

Note: The PS4 version is offered in 2 options.. Standard case or Artbook. The Artbook version is the one I bought, and included a DVD-Sized artbook with slipcover and a slot in the back of the artbook to hold the game disc. This is a bit disappointing as the case is oversized and doesn't match PS4 cases. The artbook is nice with some cool concept art though.
1212 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2015
When I purchased my PS4, I got this game with it. I had never played a Tomb Raider game before but the guy at Game Stop told me the game was good for newbies, as it was a reboot.

Now, I like video games to pass the time, so I guess you can say I'm a little more than your casual gamer but definitely not one of those that are hardcore about it. I played through the storyline and found it quite enjoyable. The graphics are really stellar. The only other PS4 game I have that I think tops it in that area is The Last of Us. The gameplay is tough at first, as you don't have access to a lot of weapons and equipment, so fighting enemies and getting around was a bit of a challenge but still fun. Once you get more upgrades, the battles get to be a lot more fun.

I played other games intermittently but decided to come back to this one and see how far I could get with the completion. It took a couple solid days and an online manual with the coordinates of all the extra items but I got to 100%. I'll probably start the storyline again, that's how much fun this game is. The landscape of the island you're on is so treacherous, that it never feels like you are just walking in a straight line to get to and from. Your pick axe, rope arrows and stealth abilities are constantly tested. It is definitely no walk in the park and you will die multiple times but not to the point where you feel that frustration about to boil because you can't get past one part. With enough tries, you will be able to overcome each obstacle. Also, with the actual tombs, it helps a lot to stay where you are, look around and try to figure things out. There's a "survival instinct" mode, similar to the detective mode vision that the Arkham series made popular. Yes, the game is part puzzle but not so much that it takes away from the action and most of the Tombs are optional anyway.

In conclusion, whether you're a TR die-hard, or a curious newcomer, this game will not disappoint. The only bad news for PS4 owners is, the next game is going to be an X-Box exclusive.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect but can honestly say that this was an amazing game. It was much longer and much more creative than I was expecting. I was hoping for a 10 hour Uncharted game with a female lead. It was much much more than that. I am now a Tomb Raider fan and will be purchasing the next addition, whenever that may be.

Note: I did not own or play the PS3 version. I only tried this one because there wasn't much available yet for PS4. Glad I did!
on April 8, 2016
What else can I say about this game that others haven't? I actually played the Steam version of this game on my computer and forgotten I had gotten this as a 'stocking stuffer' for Xmas when it was on a deep sale, (really cheap). The graphics, motion capture, story - its all very engrossing and thrilling, making for a wonderful adventure I haven't seen or experienced since I played The Last of Us. It definitely features more of the gritty, harsh qualities of that aforementioned game, including the level of violence. Some of the death animations in this game are just... brutal and incredibly graphic.

Anyway, back on topic: this is an excellent game. Its a game you hear about where you can play how you want. Want to be loud and go all out with a bang? You can do that. Want to be stealthy and kill all the enemies in the area with not ONE person being able to raise any kind of alarm? You can do that too. All in all, an awesome game that will bring you along on a heck of an adventure. I put in about 11 hours into the game or so, and definitely feel I got more than my money's worth for that.

Tis' a shame I will have to wait till later this year to buy the sequel for PS4. This is one of those exclusivity titles that definitely suffers from being a console timed exclusive. I'm sure the developer still gets paid sure, but it must be a blow to your confidence when the sales are better for PC than XBone, when that version was released several months later. Unfortunately for Tomb Raider, it just doesn't have the base built in to draw in the numbers like it might've done on PS4, like what Uncharted is able to do.
on December 1, 2014
I first bought Tomb Raider for the 360 when it was on sale for $10 about a year ago and I loved it. I spent hours just exploring the environments and finding the collectibles. I spent about 15 hours or so on that playthrough and found it to be my GOTY for last year.

Now fast forward a year to now when I got the urge to replay the game. I saw that it was on sale for $20 and decided to get it even though I still have my 360 copy because I wanted to play it on my new PS4 and I wanted to see the visual upgrade. First off, this version looks much sharper than the original. Even though it's a port, it looks like they went back and redid some of the textures for this version. Secondly, the weather effects look much more realistic with lightning lighting up the sky and surroundings briefly like in real life. Thirdly, the new Lara model is superb and is clearly where a lot of time was spent. In the original, Lara's model only changed at certain points in the game. This new one, however, will change dynamically. If she's dirty and stands in the pouring rain, she'll get cleaner. If she falls on a dirt path, she'll have dirt covering her. It may not be a huge deal to some, but I think it is very cool. Along with her new hair that actually looks like real hair with individual strands instead of a block.

Is this port meant for everyone? Probably not. If you are happy with the last gen version, there isn't a need to upgrade as it is only a change in the visuals. Same goes if you recently played the old version. But if it's been awhile, you find it for cheap, or never played the original, I highly recommend it. It's a top-notch game with awesome graphics. And you really can't go wrong with a killer reboot like this one
on May 7, 2014
This game is awesome. It's an adventurous game with great graphics. I would definitely recommend this game it does not disappoint. I wouldn't call my self a gamer since I rarely play video games. This game had me hooked. I have played tomb Raider games in the past and I have enjoyed them, this is the best of them all. The game took me a while to finish but again I'm not a gamer yet even after I beat the game I'm still playing it for all the things I missed. It's fun get it.
on June 10, 2014
The remastered version for PS4 is amazing, graphics are astonishing and the sound is awesome. I have a Onkyo 7.1 home theater and the neighbors complained for the sound, and that gave a great satisfaction.

The game play is great, Lara Croft is so hot.

Cons: it has a couple of bugs, and mostly graphic, for example Lara Croft's hair won't fall even if she is hanging from her feet.
on March 23, 2016
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. This is the first tomb raider that 100% grabbed my attention from start to finish. The gameplay is fluid and fun, the story is immersive and engaging, and the graphics are gritty and realistic. This was in my top 3 ps4 games before it stopped working. This game was amazing (only beaten out by the last of us which had one of the single greatest storytelling experiences of all gaming history) in how highly I enjoyed it. I can't wait to play the next in the lineup - please let it be like going from uncharted to uncharted 2......
on December 10, 2015
Much better game than Rise of the Tomb Raider! Much more varied environments, actions and interactions with other characters. Even if you've already played this on PS3 or PC this is worth getting. I found better graphics as well as some slight enhancements to the game play. For only $20 it is well worth having. I've played this several times on my PS3 and PC and still enjoying playing again on my PS4. Along with Uncharted 2 I feel this is one of the most involving, entertaining games ever made!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 3, 2016
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a fantastically beautiful game. It's been out for a few years now (released 1/2014), and if you're new to it, definitely pick it up now for a song. It's a port from a previous generation console (PS3 and XBOX 360), but Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics put a lot of love into it polishing up textures and effects for the PS4. Lara looks amazing, and the voice acting is superb in this game. Lara's voice is provided by Camilla Luddington. It's a reboot of the TR franchise, and the Lara you play in this game is a neophyte treasure hunter on her first unexpected adventure. Shipwrecked on a cursed island, she gets training in the school of hard knocks, and you see her mature from a self-doubting young woman into the dual-wielding woman warrior that she eventually becomes. One of the coolest moments for me was seeing how she acquired her signature twin pistols.

Story-wise, the plot is very similar to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, with a legendary historical figure from Asia and supernatural overtones. Lots of overly-dramatic cliff-side vistas, hanging, climbing, and jumping exploding over bridges and such, just like Drake's.

The game mechanics are done well with weapon switching and mode selection, though I really dislike having to hold down the PS4's touchpad to activate the map. Why not a simple press? I would say that the game is well paced and you get better weapons and gear as you progress, but overall, too short and way too easy. I beat it on Hard in 3 days during some after work binge sessions (about 20 hrs of gameplay). I never really felt challenged. Mercifully, if you die during a level, the game reloads the level relatively quickly. Auto-saved checkpoints are numerous and very generous, so you're never deprived of any real progress. Anything you've collected is saved so you don't have to redo tricky jumps, for example. Lara has about 5 alternate costumes unlocked from the get-go, but I love her in her default tank-top, so I didn't bother playing dress-up. Strangely, I felt robbed of the experience of having to acquire them one by one. In Drake's, you really have to want the alternate costumes and earn points, then decide what you'll them on unlocking.

Most of the puzzles are really obvious and involve your rope arrow. I was only really stumped on maybe 2 of the levels, and one of those times was because I forgot how to operate the rope arrow properly! There are hidden rewards scattered about each level which unlock artwork and extras, but once you find the tomb on each level and collect the reward, the map is fully revealed with all the locations of the items. Upgrades are very reasonably priced and do not jack up the price exponentially like some games do, so you'll never truly feel short of funds (in the game, "salvage" parts, gotten from defeated enemies).

The game doesn't have much bad guy variety, and no bosses, but there are 2 tanks you have to beat. Both of them are really easy if you shotgun them to the face repeatedly until they wear down. The battles feel anti-climactic as a result. I do like that enemies go down instantly if you headshot them, making the game more realistic. You can also shoot their legs to temporarily stun them. Many low brick walls and pillars are destructible, adding to the realism and challenge. You can't hide forever behind something, and the enemies will sometimes chase you down. There are some opportunities for stealth kills, but these are just for novelty and have no bearing on strategy like they do in MGSV. You just get a moderate XP bonus. Small nit, but I hate the way the game turns on the controller LED to flash red and green when I have my torch equipped. It's distracting and ugly.

There are some behind the scenes making-of video episodes on the disc, as well as art-boards, and a comic book. Also to be unlocked are 3D models of the game characters and some enemies that you can spin around and zoom in on. I wish there were more unlockables.

Lastly, I do want to mention that parts of the game are extremely gory and creepy, with severed heads rolling around, corpses impaled on spikes, and later in the game, you wade through a river of blood with bodies floating in it. Some levels have you sliding down a slope or river, dodging obstacles. You can get impaled by spikes in the throat and the death scene is pretty gut-wrenching. Enemies will also stab you through your pretty little head or slit your throat, so this is not for the squeamish. (So don't die!)

In closing, a very well done game worth having in your collection, especially now that it's under $20!