Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 878 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,118 reviews
on September 15, 2014
I watched my older sister play this on her Xbox and instantly wanted to try it. She had been the one to introduce me to Tomb Raider after all, I just never had the chance to play it for myself until I moved in with my boyfriend, who has a PS3. So, I bought it and played it through. There were a few things that bothered me, but that was mostly the story.

From what I know of Tomb Raider, the story was marred quite a bit, excluding the fact that Lara is nobility. They make her strong character of the main games stem from her experiences on that island, which from what I know, seems more likely that it stemmed from what she endured as a child -including a plane crash with her mother.

Setting the main story errors aside, the game is very fun, keeping certain classic Tomb Raider moves, such as jumping ledges in certain ways. It is also very dark, and suspenseful. And on the small tv I first played it on, it can verge on close to horror midway through the game. Thats just on small tvs though, larger ones didn't give the same impression, I noticed.

Despite the number of weapons I get in the game as Lara, I always end up going back to the bow and arrows, as they are quieter and better for ambush that an Assault Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun. That, however, is just me.

Despite the story flaws presented in Lara's past, the game its self is a joy to play; dark, creepy, suspenseful and just downright fun, with plenty to go back through the island for!
on December 31, 2013
I been a gamer for well over two decades and by far this is one the best game ever.
IT made me stop playing Far Cry 3, Dark Souls,, Borderlands 2 and made me regret buying Batman AC....
Call me what you want, I don't play as girl and I don't like action game. my prefered poison is RPG.
But I still rate this game as the best game ever.
IT'S THAT GOOD.

Pros
Amazing graphics. The character models were skinned and rigged by the industry's best. Never seen anyone rigging a model without even a slightest "deformed" deformation.....again amazing. Background is utterly hauntingly beautiful.
A Perfect control. button placement is very intuitive and the control is precise. Only thing weird was the Quick Time Event....that was awful.
Great atmosphere. This game's story falls right between thriller and horror. Very intense, very VERY well done.
Cons
.The QTE was frustrating due to the artificially tweaking the difficulty of timing. The timing of the button pressing was VERY random and imprecise. So when to push the right button is a pure luck and a guessing game. I died more at the QTE then all other times combined. Really lazy on programmers part.

Overall a ten star game. This game should have won every award there is. This game should been a system seller IMO.
Please go buy this game and have a blast. when sequal is released that,s when I'm getting my PS4. You hear me Sony?
on June 12, 2017
From playing the older Lara Croft games to this new and gritty version of her is like night and day. The graphics are amazing, Lara is finally a real flesh and bone character. The action scenes had me on the edge of my seat. It is more of an open world game than the older linear games like Legend and Underworld. Just a warning, I do not recommend this for younger players as there is quite a bit of some really dark stuff : bodies everywhere, mutilations and torture, some of it pretty sick. However, the game was challenging, finding out how to survive this terrible place, solving puzzles, and incredible action and fighting scenes make this a great game.
on January 10, 2016
...which means a lot of banal dialogue, and some of the worst voice acting you've ever heard. Another thing
that annoys me about this game is how Lara is portrayed as a complete weakling . She's terrified
of using weapons when the game first starts out, squeals everytime she is grazed by a bullet, and does a lot of
crying, weeping and whining generally throughout the game. This is definetly not the cunning, tough adventurer we
were used to in previous installments of the game. Not sure why Square Enix decided to go in this direction.

Other than that though the game is pretty good, with outstanding graphics and thrilling gameplay. But again, we're
not seeing anything particularly new. It's basically "Uncharted" on steroids. So while I would recommend the game,
don't prepared to see something completely original, and be prepared to be annoyed by minor things like the
excruiating dialogue and truly awful voice acting.
on December 6, 2013
I have been a fan of Tomb Raider since I was like 6 or 7 years old. I remember playing these games on the computer and on PS2 for hours. These games have been my favorite no matter what games came out because one they had a female protagonist and you don't see a lot of movies let alone games with them and I love seeing women kick ass I get tired of dudes lol, but anyway I don't even know how to even put in words on how good this game is, it is non stop perpetual never ending action that will have you saying oh s*** throughout the game and to me this is the best one ever made I mean Lara takes a big ass beating in this one I mean she hardcore as hell. This is the first actual survivor game i have played none of that other s*** you actually have to do it all and you will see what i mean if you play it.

The graphics in this game are the best and I am not exaggerating when I say this, the best I have seen since they started making games with good graphics. I felt like I was playing with real people lol I mean look at the cover that looks like a real person.

I can go on and write a book on how good this game is but all I can say is play please do
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2013
This is one of the better games I've played, and definitely the best of the Tomb Raider series. If you like the Uncharted games, you'll probably like this one since it is similar.

The game has a variety of weapons you can use, but I found the bow was the most versatile an easy to use. My kids liked the guns better though, so it is probably a matter of taste. As far as moving around and climbing, I thought the controls worked well and were quite similar to the Uncharted games. The story was pretty good, though a bit of it seemed contrived, and the ending was satisfying.

The side puzzles, or Tombs, in this game are challenging enough to be fun, but not too hard, so younger players won't get too frustrated with them.

There were only four aspects of this game that bothered me. One was how much Lara falls down and gets injured. It seems she can't walk 10 feet without crashing to the ground in one accident or another. It becomes almost silly. There are also some aspects of game play and leveling up that don't make sense. For example, you can level up your skills at finding food, but you only have to do that once in the entire game, and that occurs before you get enough points to level up. It seems like some developer had the idea to make searching for food part of the gameplay, but then abandoned the idea after the initial effort. The last two things I didn't really like about the game were the gruesome death scenes and all the swearing. I realize the game is rated mature, but it still would be nice to be able to turn those things off in the settings for times when my kids are wandering around the house.

In spite of those four complaints, I thought the game was enjoyable and worth the money.
on July 1, 2013
This could have been an easy 4 star game since it had no flaws due to poor programming like 90 percent of the titles out here now.
No getting caught in inescapable 3 inch deep holes, no invisible walls, no disappearing or floating objects, no vibrating things that should be dead, etc.
The potentially best parts of the story are ruined however by "push this button now" sequences. Why acquire all the expertise, if the bosses can only be killed by pushing one button when told then another when told and so on.
Another flaw was the map system can only be zoomed all the way in or all the way out. No in between.
Another is the fast travel can only be initiated from bases and then only from certain ones to other certain ones.
The enemies would have been more realistic if they could not locate you when you are hidden every time and shoot at you with pinpoint accuracy as you move even when they can't possibly see you. They threw grenades with the same accuracy. The grenades would land perfectly into any hiding spot and never miss. The grenade launcher you are provided with was anything but accurate.
I never could figure out what the "model" rewards were for.
Also Lara can not run which can look and feel pretty dumb and be frustrating when she is slowly walking from danger.
But again kudos to the programmers for not putting out poorly programmed mechanics. All the stuff that was included, works. Even if they didn't always make the best or most complete choices.
I could not justify buying any DLC due to the deficiencies being so frustrating.
Unfortunately the few flawless games like Resistance have too short of a single player campaign.
on January 9, 2014
My only prior experience with the TR series was many years ago with Gameboy Color. Although intrigued by the genre, never played anything else in the series until getting my hands on the latest PS3 version last Black Friday. The first couple hours of play almost threw me off - what in the world am I doing shooting arrows into deers, rabbits and wolfs? Coupled with seeing some negative reviews, I almost gave it up. Thank God, I did not. The game drew me into an almost non-stop binge playing for a few days (well, I have to work during the day and feed), and when I finally emerged as a survivor I had to look back with a smile. True, it resembles Uncharted (I played all three), but who cares. Yes, it is a bit gory, but is it rated M? Have to admit that the puzzles are not that difficult, but they strike a good balance between fun and thinking. Overall a fairly impressive game except a few moments of quick time sequence timing issues and one "bug" that makes a few bad guys invisible (or maybe it is done on purpose?).
on November 23, 2016
Tomb Raider is absolutely a sick game! I recently exaughsted all my gameplay and needed new stuff. So after ordering "The Last of Us" and Wolfstein," and finding out they were defective games, which is common on this site, I was desperate. So I ordered TC Splinter Cell Black List, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Crysis 3 and.... TOMB RAIDER. I love it. Laura Croft is a beast. I wish I had gotten into the series years ago. Yes I know I'm way behind the games but who cares? The graphics, the weapons, the lost tombs, having to use your mind to figure things out, the action. By George, there is sooooo much action right from the start. It reminds me a lot of Far Cry, but the pace, the region, the weapons, the enemies, and the mission itself gives it a much different feel. The camera angles give an authentic movie feel. The dialogue is realistic and passionate. The enemies are not so easy to kill, so that uncertainty factor keeps you from feeling the manotny. Buy this game. You'll love it!
on August 29, 2013
First off, I am a TR fan since the first one came out in 1995. Through the years, there have been drastic changes. What surprised me with this TR is, that they did stick to the basic in terms of, the atmosphere, not too much action... you are alone in the woods etc. I enjoyed it. The story was good, I did not like the end. It starts very intense .... and you really are feeling what she is feeling. This ia a different Lara, she cries and she gets hurt.... completely new side but it was great to see!!!! BUT...yes there is a BUT.. i wish she had changed locations, in old Tomb Raiders you travel from country to country and I wish it was the case here, you go from mountains to city or Alaska... it was exciting to see where you gonna end up next, when you complete levels. Today's graphics give endless possibilities, I think they should have utilized that. with this TR it was a bit monoton when it came to change of scenary. You are pretty much only in the woods and thats it.
I like the fact that they are trying to build a team in this game and have different characters BUT I don't feel like I know them very well. For some reason it doesn't get to the point where I really care about them. I wish I did feel a connection through the game and I was still hopeful until the end but it just did not happen.
What I also didn't like to much is, that the puzzles were very limited and you didnt really had to do them at all. TR has always been about puzzles,a great combination 30% puzzle and 70% action would have been wonderful.
From all the Tomb Raiders, this one is one of the best ones.

My favorite Tomb Raiders are TR I, II, IV and Anniversary and this one. I am looking forward to the next TR!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.