Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

Tomb Raider
Format: Video Game|Change

on September 15, 2014
I watched my older sister play this on her Xbox and instantly wanted to try it. She had been the one to introduce me to Tomb Raider after all, I just never had the chance to play it for myself until I moved in with my boyfriend, who has a PS3. So, I bought it and played it through. There were a few things that bothered me, but that was mostly the story.

From what I know of Tomb Raider, the story was marred quite a bit, excluding the fact that Lara is nobility. They make her strong character of the main games stem from her experiences on that island, which from what I know, seems more likely that it stemmed from what she endured as a child -including a plane crash with her mother.

Setting the main story errors aside, the game is very fun, keeping certain classic Tomb Raider moves, such as jumping ledges in certain ways. It is also very dark, and suspenseful. And on the small tv I first played it on, it can verge on close to horror midway through the game. Thats just on small tvs though, larger ones didn't give the same impression, I noticed.

Despite the number of weapons I get in the game as Lara, I always end up going back to the bow and arrows, as they are quieter and better for ambush that an Assault Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun. That, however, is just me.

Despite the story flaws presented in Lara's past, the game its self is a joy to play; dark, creepy, suspenseful and just downright fun, with plenty to go back through the island for!
on December 31, 2013
I been a gamer for well over two decades and by far this is one the best game ever.
IT made me stop playing Far Cry 3, Dark Souls,, Borderlands 2 and made me regret buying Batman AC....
Call me what you want, I don't play as girl and I don't like action game. my prefered poison is RPG.
But I still rate this game as the best game ever.
IT'S THAT GOOD.

Pros
Amazing graphics. The character models were skinned and rigged by the industry's best. Never seen anyone rigging a model without even a slightest "deformed" deformation.....again amazing. Background is utterly hauntingly beautiful.
A Perfect control. button placement is very intuitive and the control is precise. Only thing weird was the Quick Time Event....that was awful.
Great atmosphere. This game's story falls right between thriller and horror. Very intense, very VERY well done.
Cons
.The QTE was frustrating due to the artificially tweaking the difficulty of timing. The timing of the button pressing was VERY random and imprecise. So when to push the right button is a pure luck and a guessing game. I died more at the QTE then all other times combined. Really lazy on programmers part.

Overall a ten star game. This game should have won every award there is. This game should been a system seller IMO.
Please go buy this game and have a blast. when sequal is released that,s when I'm getting my PS4. You hear me Sony?
on June 12, 2017
From playing the older Lara Croft games to this new and gritty version of her is like night and day. The graphics are amazing, Lara is finally a real flesh and bone character. The action scenes had me on the edge of my seat. It is more of an open world game than the older linear games like Legend and Underworld. Just a warning, I do not recommend this for younger players as there is quite a bit of some really dark stuff : bodies everywhere, mutilations and torture, some of it pretty sick. However, the game was challenging, finding out how to survive this terrible place, solving puzzles, and incredible action and fighting scenes make this a great game.
on January 10, 2016
...which means a lot of banal dialogue, and some of the worst voice acting you've ever heard. Another thing
that annoys me about this game is how Lara is portrayed as a complete weakling . She's terrified
of using weapons when the game first starts out, squeals everytime she is grazed by a bullet, and does a lot of
crying, weeping and whining generally throughout the game. This is definetly not the cunning, tough adventurer we
were used to in previous installments of the game. Not sure why Square Enix decided to go in this direction.

Other than that though the game is pretty good, with outstanding graphics and thrilling gameplay. But again, we're
not seeing anything particularly new. It's basically "Uncharted" on steroids. So while I would recommend the game,
don't prepared to see something completely original, and be prepared to be annoyed by minor things like the
excruiating dialogue and truly awful voice acting.
on May 13, 2015
I liked Uncharted Drake's Fortune (UDF) and was looking for something similar...this was it. Overall concept, weapons, movements & controls were familiar. There's a lot I liked about Tomb Raider (TR). Graphics were better (newer game) and the action was more realistic. I liked that you could go unnoticed or sneak up on the enemy. The death scenes (Lara's in particular) were especially graphic which I found amusing. There were some decent puzzles in the mix - I could have used more of this. Some of the shootouts were daunting at first, but you improve & eventually find a way through.

There were several downsides as well. UDF briefly utilized "movie mode" (where you just watch & listen) to advance the story line. TR did WAY more of this, but even more annoying TR (almost seamlessly) interlaces "movie mode" with "action mode" so you can't tell if you're watching or playing - this leads to unnecessary deaths and frustrations of wrenching on the controls with no response. The story line is pretty complicated and I had trouble keeping track of all the characters the first time through. There was a bit of a logic problem that Lara had so many allies but always ventured out on her own to do battle (Drake at least interacted with his two allies in UDF). There were only 3 memory locations for saving the game, so I couldn't bookmark the spots I liked. The ending seemed a bit anti-climactic compared to other games.

In spite of the complaints I enjoyed the game....overall UDF was more worthy of a replay.
on July 1, 2013
This could have been an easy 4 star game since it had no flaws due to poor programming like 90 percent of the titles out here now.
No getting caught in inescapable 3 inch deep holes, no invisible walls, no disappearing or floating objects, no vibrating things that should be dead, etc.
The potentially best parts of the story are ruined however by "push this button now" sequences. Why acquire all the expertise, if the bosses can only be killed by pushing one button when told then another when told and so on.
Another flaw was the map system can only be zoomed all the way in or all the way out. No in between.
Another is the fast travel can only be initiated from bases and then only from certain ones to other certain ones.
The enemies would have been more realistic if they could not locate you when you are hidden every time and shoot at you with pinpoint accuracy as you move even when they can't possibly see you. They threw grenades with the same accuracy. The grenades would land perfectly into any hiding spot and never miss. The grenade launcher you are provided with was anything but accurate.
I never could figure out what the "model" rewards were for.
Also Lara can not run which can look and feel pretty dumb and be frustrating when she is slowly walking from danger.
But again kudos to the programmers for not putting out poorly programmed mechanics. All the stuff that was included, works. Even if they didn't always make the best or most complete choices.
I could not justify buying any DLC due to the deficiencies being so frustrating.
Unfortunately the few flawless games like Resistance have too short of a single player campaign.
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2013
This is one of the better games I've played, and definitely the best of the Tomb Raider series. If you like the Uncharted games, you'll probably like this one since it is similar.

The game has a variety of weapons you can use, but I found the bow was the most versatile an easy to use. My kids liked the guns better though, so it is probably a matter of taste. As far as moving around and climbing, I thought the controls worked well and were quite similar to the Uncharted games. The story was pretty good, though a bit of it seemed contrived, and the ending was satisfying.

The side puzzles, or Tombs, in this game are challenging enough to be fun, but not too hard, so younger players won't get too frustrated with them.

There were only four aspects of this game that bothered me. One was how much Lara falls down and gets injured. It seems she can't walk 10 feet without crashing to the ground in one accident or another. It becomes almost silly. There are also some aspects of game play and leveling up that don't make sense. For example, you can level up your skills at finding food, but you only have to do that once in the entire game, and that occurs before you get enough points to level up. It seems like some developer had the idea to make searching for food part of the gameplay, but then abandoned the idea after the initial effort. The last two things I didn't really like about the game were the gruesome death scenes and all the swearing. I realize the game is rated mature, but it still would be nice to be able to turn those things off in the settings for times when my kids are wandering around the house.

In spite of those four complaints, I thought the game was enjoyable and worth the money.
on March 29, 2013
Well, When I first saw this game being offered on Amazon I thought "Not another Tomb Raider game"!! I have played all of the PS1 versions and PS2 version and never really finished any of those. Main reason was because I got tired of all those silly puzzles you had to figure out, got tired of trying to figure out all those silly acrobatic moves that Lara Craft does; and a few other reasons. I have never played any of the PS3 versions of "tomb Raider" until now. Figured the PS3 versions would be just like the other versions and had no interest.

Saw some videos of this game and somehow became interested. Decided to whip out the money and give this game a try. GLAD I DID!!!!! I think that this is the best "Tomb Raider" of all the versions that I have played. Was instantly hooked after about the first 10 minutes of game-play and 11 hours zoomed by before I realized it.

Graphics have to be about some of the best on any PS3 game (I could be wrong); still typical "Tomb Raider" story-plot but plausible. Character awesomely created; great scenery. Probably the best feature of this version of a Lara Croft game is the "survivor instinct" ability. Press a button and most of the puzzle stuff lights up - you just have to figure out the puzzle. Finally, mindless puzzles that even I can figure out in due time. There still is some of those amazing stunts/moves that Lara Croft is famous for, but, thankfully, they are easier to figure out and not as annoying. Yep - still have all those death-defying escapes from burning temples and such as well.

About the only really bad thing I can say about this game is that Lara Croft does seem to be able to absorb a massive amount of punishment/injuries and not even flinch. Fortunately, that is sort of remedied later on in the game when, after being flushed down a river and over a waterfall, land onto an old airplane a don a parachute, and then, while in the parachute, go crashing through very tall trees and branches and then fall to the ground like Rambo in the 1st movie. Only then does she acknowledge that she is seriously hurt. This girl takes all kinds of injuries from bullet wounds, knife wounds, wolf bites, trees limbs, etc. and still does not even place bandages on them - one tough girl.

Overall, I thought that this was an excellent game. Finally, a "Tomb Raider" game worthy of completion and re-play. Ordered game through Amazon and, as always, received excellent service. Amazon kept me posted of any updates for game release and price changes. Game arrived quicker than expected. THANKS Amazon!!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2014
My only prior experience with the TR series was many years ago with Gameboy Color. Although intrigued by the genre, never played anything else in the series until getting my hands on the latest PS3 version last Black Friday. The first couple hours of play almost threw me off - what in the world am I doing shooting arrows into deers, rabbits and wolfs? Coupled with seeing some negative reviews, I almost gave it up. Thank God, I did not. The game drew me into an almost non-stop binge playing for a few days (well, I have to work during the day and feed), and when I finally emerged as a survivor I had to look back with a smile. True, it resembles Uncharted (I played all three), but who cares. Yes, it is a bit gory, but is it rated M? Have to admit that the puzzles are not that difficult, but they strike a good balance between fun and thinking. Overall a fairly impressive game except a few moments of quick time sequence timing issues and one "bug" that makes a few bad guys invisible (or maybe it is done on purpose?).
on April 4, 2013
Being a fan of the Tomb Raider series, I had my doubts on how enjoyable a reboot of the series could be. Generally, I dislike reboots, and feel that writers should just continue with the foundation already laid down. However, when I began playing this Tomb Raider reboot, I was enthralled right from the get go!

Everything that I originally loved about the Tomb Raider series was still intact, except now the Lara Croft character had been fleshed out. You could see how she went from a novice, to a hardened adventurer. It's an all new side of the character that I found delicious.

The best thing about this game was not the survival aspect, not the experience point system, and not the epic story of survival. The best part of this game was the length! So many games released these days have so little content, that they become a disappointment. They tend to trade single player campaign for multiplayer. This is not the case with Tomb Raider who gave us a complete package for our money! Not only is there a fantastic and lengthy storyline, that will leave any adventurist on the edge of their seat, but also a comprehensive multiplayer format, with plenty of maps already out for purchase as DLC.

The only thing that could make this game perfect, would be some single player tombs sold as DLC, however Square Enix confirmed early on, that there would be no single player DLC released for the game. However, does it need it? No! It has hours of gameplay already in place. Would it be nice? Well, of course! When someone plays a game this good, you don't want it to end.

Speaking of endings, I feel that was the only weak part of the game. The ending didn't match the scope of the rest of the game. I expected something bigger, more dramatic and rewarding, and what I got ended up just being a bit of a let down. If it was the ending of a lesser game? Fine, however with something that intense and great, you just expect more.

I am looking forward to seeing what lies in store for Lara in the future of this new rebooted series.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.